Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1362093682.798817.jpgImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1362093707.425355.jpg

Here are some more pictures.

I was riding to go play football at on Tuesday night and some guy decided to cross the street with a bicycle. He saw me and stopped on the middle of the second lane. As I was approaching he he kept moving forward. I had to get into the 3 lane that was a U-Turn and I couldn't break in time to make the turn.

You should have braked as soon as he became a potential hazaard by stepping into road. If you're not prepared for everything driving bangkok or thailand really you shouldn't ride. You can't brake a motorbike properly without going down? Are you a new rider?

I'm not a new rider and accident wasn't a noob mistake. I was traveling to fast when I saw the bike in front of me. It happened at night. The bike didn't have any reflectors. BTW I don't think anyone wow rides a motorcycle has a perfect riding record and can say "I have never crashed"ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1362176801.463118.jpg

Here is a picture that I drew to explain the accident to my students.

I don't like to kick a man when hes down but when your life's at stake, you really need to know. It was 100% your fault, someone walking into street with no lights in Thailand is a normal thing and isn't surprising, it's expected. You were driving too fast for your riding skills and you're lucky you didn't die, it should be no problem to brake a CBR 150 in time, it's a slow bike with good disc brakes all round. As soon as you saw the guy in the road you should have braked reasonably and dropped a few gears then finished off the braking when you saw him coming forward rather than trying to weave past him.

And before you say have you ever had an accident? No I've driven around 40,000 KM around Bangkok busiest roads and had tons of emergency stops in seriously wet conditions, never had one. Had plenty of people hit me from behind and seen plenty of idiots die on bikes and put other peoples life in danger.

Learn from mistakes and improve your braking and hazard perception.

You getting hit from behind isn't an accident?? Accidents happen. When I look back at it, there where plenty of chooses I could have taken. But in my mind the cost for what would have happen would have been a lot greater.

I made mistakes and over reacted when doing so. Now all I can do is learn from it and move on.

BTW what did you ride 40k km on?

They weren't proper accidents, twice some idiot ran into back of me at lights. And once a Merc driver broke his wing mirror off on me on sutthisan underpass, he was going like 100 and misjudged the distance. I didn't fall off and I was lucky to be uninjured. I've had a couple of, bottle of vodka, me and scooter in soi accidents, but no one was around and it was low speed just stupidity really.

I wasn't taking the high horse, I was just making you realize that this scenario was 100% your fault and could have been saved. As long as you know it is and you'll learn from it, it's cool, it's just most people take the attitude it's the other persons fault and don't learn jack and end up under a government bus. Can't make too many mistakes in Thailand on a bike, your life is hanging by a thread and I've seen a lot of people die, thai and farang.

Done about 10k on a nouvo, 25 on a R6 and 5 on a 150R, R6 is gone next week and I'll trade the 150 for a 500 sometime this year

And I probably sound like some 50 year old driving instructor that drives around at 40km/h . However i'm not, i'm 23 and love speed as much as next guy but I know the limits and I practice and try to improve a lot so this shit doesn't happen and end up eating tarmac..

You just save yourself man. If you stay ahead on a stopped car at the lights, you were not rear ended. An experienced rider like you! should have know that, right?

And scooter accidents? Low or high speed does not matter. You had accidents too due to your stupidity as well so judge your own accidents first before others really.

What? I got rear ended by old people on bikes that didn't stop in time when I was sitting at lights for over a minute. What are you talking about?

And I guess you didn't read the post at all did you? I said the point was I didn't blame my accidents on "people crossing road" . I took responsibility for my own stupidity and blamed it on myself.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

It sounds like you where right between the cars at the stop light when you got rear ended. I always wait ahead, passed the cross walk, before getting into the first lane of the crossing traffic. It give the other bikes and scooter a chance to head to the front and filter through.

Everyone has there own preferences on the way they ride a bike.

BTW I'm 24 and have been riding my CBR for almost 2 years now. I've learned how to ride on my own, with a few pointers from YouTube. I have about 27,000km on it. I'll be selling my CBR 150 to buy a CBR 500 next month when I get back from America.

I was sitting at lights, well ahead of the cars with just bikes side by side, some idiot still managed to run into back of me with a 30 year old honda.

2 years is not a long time, that's still a noob rider, I think in the UK that isn't even long enough to get a full license. Most people have all the accidents in first 2 years then learn from it or get their confendence shattered. You need to look on youtube for braking exercises and practice emergency braking with fast downshifting. You need to do emergency braking exercises and know the braking limits of the bike, braking up until the back starts to loose grip and bottoming out the forks every time is a good way to know the limit. Then in the future you have the best chances of slowing down in time or ditching the braking and trying to make the turn.

And with the CBR 150 I recongised quickly you need to do a hell of a lot of engine braking if you need to stop at high speed, especially 2 up you really need to downshift as soon as possible and not ride that clutch.

Thanks for the advice but I don't have a problem with my breaking. I over reacted and I choose the first alternative I could think of to get out of the situation. I know what I did wrong and I know how to react a situation comes up.

Coming to stoplights it's best to downshift and keep the clutch in. This gets you in the correct gear and frees up your hearing. If possible pull right in front of a vehicle as with the CBR you'll still be able to get to the front of the pack by the other side of the intersection if you want to. However it's usually a good idea to allow others to go first so if there is any red light jumpers you're not the one taken out.

Sorry to hear about your crash, panda, I can totally sympathise and understand how it could happen.

I use Sukhumvit in Chonburi a lot. The local pedestrians will not use the footbridges to cross an 8-lane highway (4 in either direction). At night it is very hard to see them as often they are just wearing dark clothing.

As I approach on my CBR at usually around 110, each sighting and response is different but my first reaction is to hit the horn hard. 99 out of 100 Thais jump and then freeze at this. Easier to avoid them like this. One day I will hit one though.

(One medium crash in 13 years of biking in Thailand - pick-up ignored a red light completely, took me out and hardly even braked, before disappearing into the distance. 30 locals gawped, not one got a number plate or chased the pick-up.)

Sorry to hear about your crash, panda, I can totally sympathise and understand how it could happen.

I use Sukhumvit in Chonburi a lot. The local pedestrians will not use the footbridges to cross an 8-lane highway (4 in either direction). At night it is very hard to see them as often they are just wearing dark clothing.

As I approach on my CBR at usually around 110, each sighting and response is different but my first reaction is to hit the horn hard. 99 out of 100 Thais jump and then freeze at this. Easier to avoid them like this. One day I will hit one though.

(One medium crash in 13 years of biking in Thailand - pick-up ignored a red light completely, took me out and hardly even braked, before disappearing into the distance. 30 locals gawped, not one got a number plate or chased the pick-up.)

Thanks

Yea it's not easy to see people at night.

Did the pick up driver compensated you at the end

There was one time that at truck took me off the road. I was in lane splitting on a freeway when the truck driver decided to get of the freeway. He cut from the far right lane to try and exit the on the entrance of the freeway.

I swerved off and he managed to clip I'm front break a little and then I went down. Once I got my bike up and got ready to go, the truck was gone.

Sympathise with you Panda - been there, got the scars.

I think Mr Bingo has a point, up to a point.... Always be prepared for the unexpected on Thai roads - especially at night when viz is poor and other road users might be tired/drunk/in a hurry etc etc.. But stating that its 100% your fault is nonsense - that infers that the bike pushing pedestrian who walked out in front mod you was totally blameless....

Thanks for all the support and advice. It's great to read some good stuff on here.

I can't wait for honda to finish with my bike. This is the longest time we have been apart since I got it. Well not exactly the flood a year and a few months ago I had to be apart from my bike for about a month and a half.

This seem a little silly to say but do any of you guy(or girls) name your bikes or give them nicknames?

Edited by blackpanda

Thanks for all the support and advice. It's great to read some good stuff on here.

I can't wait for honda to finish with my bike. This is the longest time we have been apart since I got it. Well not exactly the flood a year and a few months ago I had to be apart from my bike for about a month and a half.

This seem a little silly to say but do any of you guy(or girls) name your bikes or give them nicknames?

Yes!! I had a GXS-R1100 streetfighter and in a fit of rage my gf at the time kicked it over and scratched a message on the gas tank. I took it to my local shop and had a laugh over it with the blokes that worked there and they suggested rather than respraying it out, they'd sort of work the words into he respray like a graffiti style decal - it suited the bike. From then on that was the name of the bike - "f__k you"!

A few have earnt the name 'You F$£*"~#g Bitch'...the last one being an XL500 that kicked back and broke my heel

A few have earnt the name 'You F$£*"~#g Bitch'...the last one being an XL500 that kicked back and broke my heel

laugh.png I know her

She didn't break mine but 500 single cylinder thumpers

have hurt me a few times over the years while kicking them over smile.png

laugh.png I know her

She didn't break mine but 500 single cylinder thumpers

have hurt me a few times over the years while kicking them over smile.png

Was my own stupid fault...just wanted to nip down the shops for something and couldn't be arsed to put my boots on even though she'd kicked me a few times in the past ermm.gif

Was my own stupid fault...just wanted to nip down the shops for something and couldn't be arsed to put my boots on even though she'd kicked me a few times in the past ermm.gif

A mechanic friend who loved big single thumpers later showed me a

good technique & that was to always bump the bike backwards in gear before starting.

Puts the engine in the perfect place of the stroke for starting.Just bump back till it goes no more.

( On compression stroke I guess)

Usually it is just a little bump/rock back or two while seated on the bike

bike in gear & key off before you turn on key & kick it over.

Edited by mania

A mechanic friend who loved big single thumpers later showed me a

good technique & that was to always bump the bike backwards in gear before starting.

Puts the engine in the perfect place of the stroke for starting.Just bump back till it goes no more.

( On compression stroke I guess)

Usually it is just a little bump/rock back or two while seated on the bike

bike in gear & key off before you turn on key & kick it over.

The XL used to have a stupid auto decompresser that sometimes didn't work...after I broke my heel I took it off and never had another problem thumbsup.gif

Now I feel spoiled always having an electric start button.

Honda gave me a sonic while they work on my bike. I have had it a week and think I have done less then 20klm on it. I only use it to get something to eat. It's had a kick starter but I never use it because there is an electric start button on it. I'm really not used to riding a carb bike. When I'm idling the bike sometimes turns off on me but if I keep up the revs then their isn't a problem. It feels a little weird everything I'm at a stop revving the engine like a vansboy.

I always envy the rear disc brake on those Sonics

I never really looked at it. When I get home I'm going to has to check it out.

Yeah just the fact they had a rear disc brake & why newer

scooters ( Like our Wave 125i )do not.

Edited by mania

Why would you need rear disc brakes on a 125cc scooter? And isn't the wave a semi automatic bike and not a scooter? The nuvo I had has rear drum brakes, more BHP than the wave and is heavier, it stopped fine in emergency braking situations from top speed.

If you needed rear discs, it would make no difference whatsoever with the same rider. The majority of the braking is on the front and as long as you kept the back tightened you can still bring the rear wheel out quite easy, you don't need discs.

Why would you need rear disc brakes on a 125cc scooter? And isn't the wave a semi automatic bike and not a scooter? The nuvo I had has rear drum brakes, more BHP than the wave and is heavier, it stopped fine in emergency braking situations from top speed.

If you needed rear discs, it would make no difference whatsoever with the same rider. The majority of the braking is on the front and as long as you kept the back tightened you can still bring the rear wheel out quite easy, you don't need discs.

Ya know Bingo.......Opinions are like preferences

Everybody has one.

I have been riding & racing a good many decades now.

I prefer a disc if that is ok with you? wink.png

Funny to ask why rear disc is needed.

They have better feel, easier maintanance besides no sh.t inside the drums like mud or water.

It is not only abour speed or cc of the bike man.

Edited by loserlazer

They have better feel, easier maintanance besides no sh.t inside the drums like mud or water.

I had some bikes with drum brakes :)

Never had mud or water in the brakes. And imo drum brakes are much easier to maintain as disc brakes. Usually no brake fluid needed and no hoses that can leak, just a simple bowden cable. Much easier and more reliable technology. Don't understand what some of you guys have against them.

Its like mania said: "Opinions are like preferences. Everybody has one.".

biggrin.png

Ya know Bingo.......Opinions are like preferences
Everybody has one.
I have been riding & racing a good many decades now.
I prefer a disc if that is ok with you? wink.png

On a Honda Sonic and Honda Wave? Racing who? The Honda Fino Kids from the lights to the first u-turn?

Obviously you aren't as good as you think you are because you would know disc brakes on a 125cc family budget bike would be hassle than their worth.

What a load of crap, read Wantan's post, he's absolutely spot on.

This disc brake crap sounds exactly like the gasohol v benzine argument people bashing gasohol and don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Edited by Bingo66

Please disconnect your rear brakes and ride down a mountain as fast as you can.

Thank you