I've seen the grim reality of Thailand without tourists – and it isn't pretty

webfact

When I talk about economics, is often get these laughing / confused / sad emoticons as an answer.

What do they mean?

This is beyond my comprehension and intellectual capacities?

OR

Why does old hippy bother?

OR

I feel like trolling, but have no inspiration?

OR

I am so bored?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, wolf81 said:

But a Baht that goes up will hurt exports (as well as tourism). And if exports are more important to the Thai economy than tourism, that could be a bad development.

I do believe the BoT is trying to prevent the Baht from rising, but it remains to be seen how successful they will be.

I agree that a strong baht is probably bad for exports - but..... that is not sure!

It depends on whether Thai exporters have much competition in the goods / services they sell, and on the options of their buyers to go elsewhere.

555 I dont know but at least I know that I don't know, therefore I know more than many others....

And obviously, the travelling hiso / those who send their children to proper farang universities, benefit from a strong baht.

12 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I agree that a strong baht is probably bad for exports - but..... that is not sure!

It depends on whether Thai exporters have much competition in the goods / services they sell, and on the options of their buyers to go elsewhere.

You present yourself as someone with great knowledge in economics

that's why i would be very interested if you could inform me about

the areas where the Thai exporters have no or very few competitors.

Durians? Amulets? 

19 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

You present yourself as someone with great knowledge in economics

that's why i would be very interested if you could inform me about

the areas where the Thai exporters have no or very few competitors.

Durians? Amulets? 

As I posted before: I DO NOT KNOW. But because I know that I do not know, I know much more than others who think they know.

But this is an internet entertainment forum, and similarly to a real bar, people comment on everything, with great conviction and certainty....

Maybe ask your question to those in charge: Which areas are potentially promising for exports?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

If i don't know about something, i will avoid to put down the others

like you did in your post yesterday

(I cite you just in case your memory is failing

''Pathetic: posters discussing the % of tourism in Thai GDP - without any knowledge of macro economics.'')

and i will avoid to comment on a matter where ''I DO NOT KNOW'', like you did in yours last posts

exactly in the same way like the others you have just criticized yesterday

but i guess humility is not your strong point?

I do know about macro economics..... but I do not have the time or resources to study Thailand specifically.

I stay with my point: I know that etc.

And I will continue to put down posters who don't know that they don't make sense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/31/2020 at 4:10 PM, oldhippy said:

NO. On the contrary, it will probably go up --- the explanation is hidden in "EXCHANGE" rate: if the economies of Farangland are in an even worse state, the baht will go up ! So much for all that  - endearing - wishful thinking by expats.

I am confused as to why people think economies in the West are in a worse state than Thailand. What is this idea based on?

On 8/28/2020 at 10:09 AM, Surelynot said:

Strong baht, Fit to Fly letter, visas, covid certificate, quarantine, phone tracking, health insurance, tax on leaving, dual pricing, restricted travel.....add this to reduced incomes tourists now suffer and general concerns over health and safety issues even before covid......tourism is dead in the water.

Chinese tourists are finally realising that sunny Hainan island is better than Thailand for the first time in decades because of all these ridiculous requirements.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 5:06 AM, Pilotman said:

Think on this, over 40 million Thais live in rural locations that never see a tourist and don't need them for their local economy.  Don't get tourism out of proportion.  It is less than 18% of GDP and not absolutely vital to Thailand. Watch this space. It may all virtually end and I dont think that many Thais will cry any tears if it does. At the very least, it may be confined to a few restricted areas only, such as Phuket and Pattaya. 

Yup but their daughters in Pattaya will see the tourists!

And the rice/fruit they grow upcountry will see tourists.

And what about the wooden frogs and elephant pants? Made upcountry and sold on kao san road.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaweiBeach said:

I am confused as to why people think economies in the West are in a worse state than Thailand. What is this idea based on?

Exchange rates reflect (more or less) the state different economies are in.

Presently all statistics and predictions are only guesswork.

If (IF) Farangland takes a hit of 20% GDP, and Thailand only 15%, the baht will go up.

Furthermore - not covid related - Farangland's economies are old and have used up their growing potential. Trees do not grow up into the skies. Thailand is a younger tree.....

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

If i don't know about something, i will avoid to put down the others

like you did in your post yesterday

(I cite you just in case your memory is failing

''Pathetic: posters discussing the % of tourism in Thai GDP - without any knowledge of macro economics.'')

and i will avoid to comment on a matter where ''I DO NOT KNOW'', like you did in yours last posts

exactly in the same way like the others you have just criticized yesterday

but i guess humility is not your strong point?

I think you missed my point.

And I think you and I differ about the meaning of "humility".

When I listen to a bricklayer or quantum physisist talking about their work, I will listen and ask questions - that is my idea of humility.

You however seem to have adapted the Thai meaning of "humility".

Edited by oldhippy
;
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DaweiBeach said:

Western countries are bribing the populace with borrowed money. The reality won't hit home till they can't afford to keep bribing us with subsidies and top up benefits.

When unemployment reaches the level it should be, the :hit-the-fan:.

• Like 1

Thats a funny one, a Ferang here thats studied Economics !!. Look around, open your eyes.In My Province there is about 3 of us to use the silly Posh Word nice houses n cars. The rest live in tarted up hovels their woman's folks owned , make ends meet by teaching for peanuts. So to a few of You not all glance round the Room. You Failed Miserably.:coffee1:

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Thats a funny one, a Ferang here thats studied Economics !!. Look around, open your eyes.In My Province there is about 3 of us to use the silly Posh Word nice houses n cars. The rest live in tarted up hovels their woman's folks owned , make ends meet by teaching for peanuts. So to a few of You not all glance round the Room. You Failed Miserably.:coffee1:

Truth Hurts a Bit.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I think you missed my point.

And I think you and I differ about the meaning of "humility".

When I listen to a bricklayer or quantum physisist talking about their work, I will listen and ask questions - that is my idea of humility.

You however seem to have adapted the Thai meaning of "humility".

You have absolutely no clue of what you are talking about

but looking at your answers i am sure of one thing, you are

not going to change anything, or even try to start any form of introspection

as from your point of view you are already more than perfect 

i let you in your ''world'' , old hippy, i have no more time to lose with you

have a nice day

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

You have absolutely no clue of what you are talking about

but looking at your answers i am sure of one thing, you are

not going to change anything, or even try to start any form of introspection