Have you ever hit a hole in one?

ASEAN NOW Golf

Have you ever hit a hole in one?

1778401972_golf_HoleInOneInGolf.jpg.526929d54d82fdf79ace6a502f471536.jpg

4-year-old Rocco Figaretti beat odds of more than 12,000 to one to land a hole in one Friday, when he was golfing with his dad Mario at Oglebay Park, West Virginia in the USA.

Mario says Rocco practices his swing regularly in the yard, beginning last year, neither of them could believe he made the shot and they were both genuinely stunned.

Also, Rick Sharp got his 7th hole in one on the other side of the world when he played the 15th hole at The Emerald Golf Club near Pattaya in Thailand.

What made this incredible was that Rick, a US veteran now retired and living in Thailand was 83 years old.

Many of us have never had a hole in one, however it would seem there is still hope for us all. 

Maybe Rocco or Rick have made history, who knows? 

So, we would like to know from all of you if any of you have beaten Rick’s 7 hole in ones or have got a hole in one over the age of 83?

I was with a friend who got a hole in one on Bangkok Golf a few months ago and i hit the pin on the same hole recently.

Was playing with my brother when he got one which was a thinned 9 iron about 150 yards which clattered into the pin and dropped straight down. Complete fluke.

And then there are those of us that have been playing golf since the age of 10 in the U.S., and have never had one. Been a single handicapper, hit dozens of pins, and ended up mere inches from the hole, but never in. I'm 71 now, and took my wife for the first time to Grand Prix in Bo Phloi last year to watch. After the round, she said, "As much as you play, I thought you'd be a lot better." 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I was with a friend who got a hole in one on Bangkok Golf a few months ago and i hit the pin on the same hole recently.

Was playing with my brother when he got one which was a thinned 9 iron about 150 yards which clattered into the pin and dropped straight down. Complete fluke.

It's like closing time at the bar. They don't have to be pretty.

Made three, but the first one was unwitnessed.  I was playing alone on a course in Phoenix, AZ and knocked an uphill 95-yard PW into the cup.  As soon as I realized my good fortune, it was immediately quashed because I had no witness. I saw a greenskeeper mowing nearby and briefly considered asking him to verify my feat, but quickly told myself “nah, it still wouldn’t be legit”.  A year later I was playing at New San Sai Golf Course in Chiang Mai and made an ace on its 155-yard par 3, hole #3 on my first lap of the course. I was playing with two off duty RTP officers and they were jumping with joy at my success. But when we walked up to the see the manager after the round, he shrugged and told me “good shot...But no prize or wall board”.  10 months later on 28 Nov 2014 I was playing #17 at Chiang Mai North Hill with three close friends, when my 5-iron landed on its elevated, sloped green and ran true into the cup.  There was still no fancy prize offered, but at least I got a nice framed certificate awarded by the course manager at a ceremony a week afterwards. Mine also happened to be the very first ace recorded at the course after it had been converted into an 18 hole layout.  Still hoping for yet one more at the age of 74. Fingers crossed...

Got my first one 6 months ago at Panya Indra. 140 yard par 3, 8 iron into the wind.

Funny thing was I was having such a bad round and it was a blind hole and since I couldn't see it on the green (despite knowing I'd hit a good shot) I was immediately convinced the ball had gone over and rolled off the back. So here I was, loadly cursing and swearing (as golf often does to me) and bemoaning my bad luck to anyone that would listen, when a quick glance into the hole and...voila!!

Many apologies later (including the guys I hadn't seen teeing off to my right) and many, many high fives, we retired to the bar for a VERY expensive, but happily bought round. 

No.  Came very close once on a Par 3 in Bangkok around 1998, it stopped around 2" from the hole.  I was devastated, but my caddy said that it counted.  It didn't of course, but i tipped her anyway because she was cute and just trying to make me feel better.  I have never come that close since. 

Edited by Pilotman

34 minutes ago, tgw said:

it was rather odd.

the first came after 18 years of playing golf, then the second a few months later within the same year and both during a tournament.

actually, more oddness, I also holed 2 longer iron shots, both also during a tournament.

both were blind shots, and nobody on the flight saw what the ball did, so I ended up in both cases treating the initial ball as lost, and then we had a surprise when we got near the flag.

Edited by tgw

20 hours ago, smutcakes said:

a mate of mine did a similar thing..the ball was travelling at warp speed pin high and would have gone another 150m, but it hit the flag, got tangled and as the flag unraveled it dropped into the hole.  :shock1:

On 8/28/2020 at 2:51 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone won one of those cars they advertise at many of the golf courses for hitting a hole in one?

Caddies always said something along the lines of ‘for members only’ or 'not for farangs’ or ‘for competition only’.... I never really found out exactly what the deal was. 

The  deal was, there is  no deal

Yes, several years ago at EGAT's Srinakarin Dam Golf Course. I have the certificate and as I had golf insurance I claimed the 10,000baht that was on the policy! Since then have played the course many times BUT have never landed on the green again.......