Trouble with my young brahman cows

I have two young (6 - 12 months) brahman cows which are growing more and more excited/out of control.

It has become impossible to let them out because they destroy everything in their way, either for playing or for trying to catch food which is the same as the one we give them but probably better because out of reach.

And it is very difficult to approach them as soon as they feel that it is for something else than food.

First, it would be necessary to put a cord through their nose, but this is impossible in the actual conditions.

Then maybe they should be given a medical treatment to quite them down, but an injection is out of question for the same reasons.

Has any of you experienced the same kind of trouble with his cows?

How did you manage it?

Is there any oral medicine that I could give them, as a starter, to quite them enough so that we could get closer, inject them, pierce their nose and so on?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Who you not let vet haddle what you want? Problem solved. I don't have experience but should not cost much. Even Thais not many times say anything , but maybe many neighbor are bist off if you cant condrol your cattle!

Brahman cattle can be a hand full ,as you are finding out ,what do you mean by they destroy everything in their way ?, meaning they go through your fences ? .

I would say before you brought them they were in a shed the whole time ,for the first 2-3 times you let them out they will just run ,all cattle are the same ,you want to see 150 dairy cows go out to grass first time after a long winter in a shed.

The field/ paddock where they are ,how is it fenced ?electric fence . you need 2 strands of 14 SWG wire ,not the thin ,thin stuff ,top strand about waist height ,posts every 4-5 meters ,bamboo ones would do,one or two shocks from the fence will calm them down a bit . 

Once you can keep them in ,it is a case of just walking amongst them .not saying anything, so they get use to you ,it will take time ,what are the 2 Wagyu cattle like ,a lot more placid I would say .

As for putting a rope though  they nose ,I am not a fan and in a lot of cases not necessary .

If you do want to put a rope though they nose ,you will have to build/make a holding race .second hand steel pipe is what I used ,works well , built it 10 years ago now, and if in the future you want to AI  them you will have to build a handling race, no AI man will AI beef cattle without one .

As for drugs to quieten them ,they are two one given IV ,the other IM ,but they only last a few hours ,nothing long term .

2 is 1.

As you said you have no experience, and you do not know Thai vets, most are not good at handling cattle ,in fact most are useless ,the unwritten law is you catch the animal and the vet/AI man  does what need's  doing ,he will not help ,if  it is an AI or injections ,they are OK ,anything else difficult calving, a Prolapse Uterus post calving ,foot work ,they will struggle or just give you some excuse not to do the job ,if you do have a good vet ,send him down here ,we could do with one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Brahman cattle can be a hand full ,as you are finding out ,what do you mean by they destroy everything in their way ?, meaning they go through your fences ? .

I would say before you brought them they were in a shed the whole time ,for the first 2-3 times you let them out they will just run ,all cattle are the same ,you want to see 150 dairy cows go out to grass first time after a long winter in a shed.

The field/ paddock where they are ,how is it fenced ?electric fence . you need 2 strands of 14 SWG wire ,not the thin ,thin stuff ,top strand about waist height ,posts every 4-5 meters ,bamboo ones would do,one or two shocks from the fence will calm them down a bit . 

Once you can keep them in ,it is a case of just walking amongst them .not saying anything, so they get use to you ,it will take time ,what are the 2 Wagyu cattle like ,a lot more placid I would say .

As for putting a rope though  they nose ,I am not a fan and in a lot of cases not necessary .

If you do want to put a rope though they nose ,you will have to build/make a holding race .second hand steel pipe is what I used ,works well , built it 10 years ago now, and if in the future you want to AI  them you will have to build a handling race, no AI man will AI beef cattle without one .

As for drugs to quieten them ,they are two one given IV ,the other IM ,but they only last a few hours ,nothing long term .

2 is 1.

As you said you have no experience, and you do not know Thai vets, most are not good at handling cattle ,in fact most are useless ,the unwritten law is you catch the animal and the vet/AI man  does what need's  doing ,he will not help ,if  it is an AI or injections ,they are OK ,anything else difficult calving, a Prolapse Uterus post calving ,foot work ,they will struggle or just give you some excuse not to do the job ,if you do have a good vet ,send him down here ,we could do with one. 

We have just rebuilt the fences, which were made of bamboo (which they were breaking by pushing against with their heads), and are now made of much stronger eucalyptus. 

No electricity along the fence. 

The boring part is that I have had them for over a month now, and that they grow more and more restless with time. 

I had brahmans before, young and older, but they never gave me that kind of trouble. 

I think the problem might be the absence of a mother brahman that the young would follow. 

We can easily walk close to them as long as we don't try anything other than giving food... but if we simply want to attach a long rope to let them out, they start jumping around, behaving like wild horses. 

No problem at all with the wagyus, which are slow and shy, and eat a lot after a difficult start because they were used to eat only dry grass at their farm. 

Since then they have largely caught up. 

Thai vets are exactly as you say, that is totally incompetent and useless... and there is ONE for the whole amphoe, who generally finds excuses to not leave his office. 

They remind me of the Thai English teachers who can't speak English, and go into hiding if a foreigner speaking English shows up at the school. 

Edited by Brunolem