Interview: Media Tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul

LaoPo

Some of the previous comments about Sondhi L. are fair enough. He is at least a controversial man and the fact he owns Asia Times through his holding makes the interview a one-way story and the interviewer Shawn Crispin not independent, since he's on his payroll, indirectly, but still.

However, the fact that he's born from Chinese (Hainan) parents and standing up for the Thai middle class (90 % of them have Chinese roots) makes it interesting.

But, the old Thai feudalistic elite has, for the major part, Chinese roots also and that's what makes the interview, and what he says about the backgrounds of Thai politics, so fascinating.

I though the reference was to the traditional high sakdina familes, the descendents of the Mom Ratchawongs and Mom Luangs as well as the princely familes of yore from the Muangs more distant from Bangkok who are often designated by the family name Na [name of muang]. This group forms the highly influential extended palace guard.

If I read between the lines of said article it looks like if he is disappointed (using his words: pissed off) that the present power-people in 'charge', ALL belonging to the old elite and thus also Thai/Cinese, didn't invite/accept him to be part of the new rulers.
Yes, I get the sense that Sondhi, like Thaksin, feels lessened that as an outsider he is not 100% socially accepted into certain segments of the elite despite his wealth. Me fears t'is the classic little-man-from-Bavaria syndrome.
* I would be most interested to learn where the (thin?) line lies IF/WHEN someone (or a family) belongs to the 'elite' or is 'allowed' to join them.... :o

After all, an elite-member, ever, wasn't one in the first place; he/she became one at a certain stage in the past....but not overnight, right?

Those of us who have to ask such question will never know the answer. :D

Some of the previous comments about Sondhi L. are fair enough. He is at least a controversial man and the fact he owns Asia Times through his holding makes the interview a one-way story and the interviewer Shawn Crispin not independent, since he's on his payroll, indirectly, but still.

However, the fact that he's born from Chinese (Hainan) parents and standing up for the Thai middle class (90 % of them have Chinese roots) makes it interesting.

But, the old Thai feudalistic elite has, for the major part, Chinese roots also and that's what makes the interview, and what he says about the backgrounds of Thai politics, so fascinating.

I though the reference was to the traditional high sakdina familes, the descendents of the Mom Ratchawongs and Mom Luangs as well as the princely familes of yore from the Muangs more distant from Bangkok who are often designated by the family name Na [name of muang]. This group forms the highly influential extended palace guard.

If I read between the lines of said article it looks like if he is disappointed (using his words: pissed off) that the present power-people in 'charge', ALL belonging to the old elite and thus also Thai/Cinese, didn't invite/accept him to be part of the new rulers.
Yes, I get the sense that Sondhi, like Thaksin, feels lessened that as an outsider he is not 100% socially accepted into certain segments of the elite despite his wealth. Me fears t'is the classic little-man-from-Bavaria syndrome.
* I would be most interested to learn where the (thin?) line lies IF/WHEN someone (or a family) belongs to the 'elite' or is 'allowed' to join them.... :o

After all, an elite-member, ever, wasn't one in the first place; he/she became one at a certain stage in the past....but not overnight, right?

Those of us who have to ask such question will never know the answer. :D

Those who know don't say,

And those who say don't know

It's all a matter of initiation, old boy.

Those who know don't say,

And those who say don't know

It's all a matter of initiation, old boy.

Well, and mostly it is a matter of birth since the days of conquest through war and subsequent raise into the aristocracy are more or less over now. Money will buy one entry, but not acceptance as an equal.