Advice To Newbies On Chiang Mai Forum

mcgriffith

Advice to Newbies on the Chiang Mai forum, thaivisa.com.

Recently I've noted more than a few instances of people, who want to move to CM, posting multiple questions of a very broad nature (ex: How much does it cost to live in CM? Where's a good place to stay? Where do I meet women?, etc.)

I am going to stick my neck out here, at the risk of censure, and offer a few (well, more than a few!) words of advice.

This is the era of instant gratification. Need to know an answer to a question- Google it!

And if you can't find the answer to the question....well just ask on a forum, and more than a few well-meaning people will be happy to respond.

Problem is, we seem to be getting questions on issues from people who are not even here yet, and from the sounds from some of them, will probably never be here, as soon as they find out the realities of recently changed Thai visa laws....

I have 3 suggestions I'd like to make to people who are not here yet, but are contemplating a move to Thailand, and are looking for answers to questions on the Chiang Mai forum:

1) Use the GOOGLE SEARCH function. Recently we got a request for where to get oil portraits done. This very topic was covered exhaustively just a few months ago. Problem with Google search is it searches the entire Thai Visa forum; not specific to Chiang Mai, so you might have to spend some time on this.

2) Click back through the pages! People ask questions on stuff that was discussed a few days ago (now buried on page 3 or 4).

3) LURK! That's right, become a Lurker! If you're not here yet, don't even know if you're going to be here ever, just thinking about MAYBE, POSSIBLY, moving to CM, or Thailand in general.....don't post questions that require a 10,000 word master's thesis reply! Most people on this forum are more than happy to lend a helping hand to new, or soon to be new arrivals, on specific questions (ex: Good babysitter? Secure place for Mom w/ kids to rent?) These are perfect questions, that we can all try to help on. But asking questions on "where's a good place to stay", when we have no idea what your life circumstances are, is an exercise in futility.

Lurk. Observe. Read. Research. When you are here, make a few posts.

4) Buy books on Thailand, like Lonely Planet Thailand. I was last a "backpacker" in 1971, when I rode a 125cc motocross KTM from Austria to Afghanistan, solo. Since then, I have become accustomed to shall we say, the finer things in life. This book series (and many similar travel books) are often passed over by a lot of people who think they only apply to the young and hirsute. Nothing could be further from the truth. Tremendous amount of information on culture, cuisine, transport, high end hotels, restaurant reviews; you name it, it's all in there, and they update yearly all their info. Buy the books, and read them.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

McG

:o

Thanks McG

Maybe I could repeat your advice, a bit more succinctly.

Advice to newbies:

"Search and Read the Forum, in particular the pinned section at the top, before you ask dumb questions that have been asked multiple times before."

The Search Forum button is at the bottom of each forum page.

Just enter a search term and ckick the button.

Let's Start A Spicy Thread........NOT!

OK, answer to 1st Question is: $100/mo. to 1 Million Dollars a month.

Anyone who can't pull in Spicy is hereby banished from this forum......

just off topic, but is that sign "No LadyBoys allowed" still hanging at the front door at Spicy?

it was always reassuring that anyone wearing a skirt in Spicy would not be hiding a budgie :o

Edited by Donnyboy

just off topic, but is that sign "No LadyBoys allowed" still hanging at the front door at Spicy?

Why? Are you thinking of getting dressed up in the twin set and pearls for a night on the town?

Recently I've noted more than a few instances of people, who want to move to CM, posting multiple questions of a very broad nature (ex: How much does it cost to live in CM? Where's a good place to stay? Where do I meet women?, etc.)

I am going to stick my neck out here, at the risk of censure, and offer a few (well, more than a few!) words of advice.

This is the era of instant gratification. Need to know an answer to a question- Google it!

And if you can't find the answer to the question....well just ask on a forum, and more than a few well-meaning people will be happy to respond.

Problem is, we seem to be getting questions on issues from people who are not even here yet, and from the sounds from some of them, will probably never be here, as soon as they find out the realities of recently changed Thai visa laws....

I have 3 suggestions I'd like to make to people who are not here yet, but are contemplating a move to Thailand, and are looking for answers to questions on the Chiang Mai forum:

1) Use the GOOGLE SEARCH function. Recently we got a request for where to get oil portraits done. This very topic was covered exhaustively just a few months ago. Problem with Google search is it searches the entire Thai Visa forum; not specific to Chiang Mai, so you might have to spend some time on this.

2) Click back through the pages! People ask questions on stuff that was discussed a few days ago (now buried on page 3 or 4).

3) LURK! That's right, become a Lurker! If you're not here yet, don't even know if you're going to be here ever, just thinking about MAYBE, POSSIBLY, moving to CM, or Thailand in general.....don't post questions that require a 10,000 word master's thesis reply! Most people on this forum are more than happy to lend a helping hand to new, or soon to be new arrivals, on specific questions (ex: Good babysitter? Secure place for Mom w/ kids to rent?) These are perfect questions, that we can all try to help on. But asking questions on "where's a good place to stay", when we have no idea what your life circumstances are, is an exercise in futility.

4) Buy books on Thailand, like Lonely Planet Thailand. I was last a "backpacker" in 1971, when I rode a 125cc motocross KTM from Austria to Afghanistan, solo. Since then, I have become accustomed to shall we say, the finer things in life. This book series (and many similar travel books) are often passed over by a lot of people who think they only apply to the young and hirsute. Nothing could be further from the truth. Tremendous amount of information on culture, cuisine, transport, high end hotels, restaurant reviews; you name it, it's all in there, and they update yearly all their info. Buy the books, and read them.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

McG

Thing is, many people may have never used a forum before and the whole point of getting answers is to ask, isn't it? We were all newbies once so give em a break.

Regards searching old threads, use the proper site search facility on the top right and you get the option to search by forum :D

Why? Are you thinking of getting dressed up in the twin set and pearls for a night on the town?

"I say hey babe, take a walk on the wild side.....and the coloured girls sing do-te-do-te-do........."

always up for a good laugh, well until the drunk farang makes a move on me anyway :D

Hope this helps,

Regards,

McG

:D

Thing is, many people may have never used a forum before and the whole point of getting answers is to ask, isn't it? We were all newbies once so give em a break.

Regards searching old threads, use the proper site search facility on the top right and you get the option to search by forum :D

OR Press this Button :o

post-15912-1177741613_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Great thread McG, and long overdue. You hit the nail on the head with this one, so I'm adding a fresh comment to keep up front where newbies can easily see it. This site has tons of info that can take a long time to appreciate and sift thru. And of course, most broad basic ??'s have been asked already so why not do a little research and earn your info.

And I have one for the newbies too... and the old hands as well, it's my own little pet peeve. This thread already has the OP reposted with the quote function 2or three times in 2 pages. Come on ! Don't abuse the quote function! Just reference the original post, the poster himself, or write about the topic by hitting the reply. It's simple. I can remember what this post is about, you don't need to rehash the whole thing for me. And another thing is, if you really really really need that quote function, use it, but then trim down the <deleted>' thing to what most succinctly fits with what you have to say. Most people respond to just one tiny fraction of the post, so your own post should reflect that. Editing it fun. Try it.

ok one more.... not a gripe either.

You wanna learn Thai ? And you know you're gonna come here soon ? Get Thai on tape or CD and listen to it on your commute wherever you live for a couple weeks to a couple mo's b4 you get here. You'll have a giant advantage over those who show up and then get their brains overwhelmed by heat, culture shock, and vocabulary. You can have a rough feel for grammar and sounds that easily all b4 you arrive. It will prove a tremendous advantage. And then when you get here... learn to read. It's the only way to really learn.....(I know some will disagree, but not those who read!).

I'm done with my bit!

Hope this helps,

Regards,

McG

Great thread McG, and long overdue. You hit the nail on the head with this one, so I'm adding a fresh comment to keep up front where newbies can easily see it. This site has tons of info that can take a long time to appreciate and sift thru. And of course, most broad basic ??'s have been asked already so why not do a little research and earn your info.

And I have one for the newbies too... and the old hands as well, it's my own little pet peeve. This thread already has the OP reposted with the quote function 2or three times in 2 pages. Come on ! Don't abuse the quote function! Just reference the original post, the poster himself, or write about the topic by hitting the reply. It's simple. I can remember what this post is about, you don't need to rehash the whole thing for me. And another thing is, if you really really really need that quote function, use it, but then trim down the <deleted>' thing to what most succinctly fits with what you have to say. Most people respond to just one tiny fraction of the post, so your own post should reflect that. Editing it fun. Try it.

You wanna learn Thai ? And you know you're gonna come here soon ? Get Thai on tape or CD and listen to it on your commute wherever you live for a couple weeks to a couple mo's b4 you get here. You'll have a giant advantage over those who show up and then get their brains overwhelmed by heat, culture shock, and vocabulary. You can have a rough feel for grammar and sounds that easily all b4 you arrive. It will prove a tremendous advantage. And then when you get here... learn to read. It's the only way to really learn.....(I know some will disagree, but not those who read!).

I'm done with my bit!

Why?

Have you no short term memory ? Do you find yourself reading the same front page of the paper again and again ? great if it works for you. But why should others have to sift thru reposts where the OP takes up 75% of the first 2 pgs. BS, BB! You lazy.

It's also called context. Hmmmmm. A thread where everyone is talking about pizza. I bet the first post was about pizza. I bet I could go back and read that post if I care, or maybe just get the gist of it from other comments.

They call it editing. It's a big thing. People love it. It saves people time. And it makes what you have to say much more effective.

Can you understand this without me reposting your reposts of my posts ????!! Amazing.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

McG

QUOTE(realthaideal @ 2007-06-10 14:42:26)

I'm done with my bit!

Why?

Have you no short term memory ? Do you find yourself reading the same front page of the paper again and again ? great if it works for you. But why should others have to sift thru reposts where the OP takes up 75% of the first 2 pgs. BS, BB! You lazy.

It's also called context. Hmmmmm. A thread where everyone is talking about pizza. I bet the first post was about pizza. I bet I could go back and read that post if I care, or maybe just get the gist of it from other comments.

They call it editing. It's a big thing. People love it. It saves people time. And it makes what you have to say much more effective.

Can you understand this without me reposting your reposts of my posts ????!! Amazing.

No.

Heres a link to a great song that could have been written for this thread.. Enjoy. http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/antinowhereleague/sowhat.html

So.... how much does it cost to live in CM? Will I be able to pull in Spicy?

The answer to the first question depends on how many times you get lucky with the second :o

Yes, if you get lucky with the second you'll actually save money. :D

On the topic of broad freshy questions: I honestly don't mind, and don't mind to answer. At least they're ON TOPIC. I need look no further than myself to see some of the off topic crap I'm debating; then in all fairness a question like "What would I pay for an apartment in Chiang Mai" makes a lot more sense on a forum like this.

The prospect of moving / travelling to Thailand and Chiang Mai can be quite daunting (God knows why, but apparently it is. :D ) so no 'newbie' should feel any inhibitions to raise any questions or concerns here.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao