110 Volts Desktop, Monitor And Speakers

egeefay

my nephew is moving to from the US to Thailand and wants to take his desktop computer, monitor and speakers with him. It's a newer model (forget the manufacturer) and I understand most computer towers will work on both 110-220 volts.

Question. Are monitors and speakers also dual voltage?

If so would they need to have a switch or can they detect automatically?

Guest Reimar
my nephew is moving to from the US to Thailand and wants to take his desktop computer, monitor and speakers with him. It's a newer model (forget the manufacturer) and I understand most computer towers will work on both 110-220 volts.

Question. Are monitors and speakers also dual voltage?

If so would they need to have a switch or can they detect automatically?

I don't think so!! May you can switch the power supply from 110 to 230 Volts but the Monitor not and the speaker only if the power adapter is able to auto switch 100-250 Volts.

Mainly you can use a voltage converter which is available here but you'll need around 500 watts and they quite expensive!

Have to look at the Bangkok's China Town.

I think it might... I did the same thing... and it worked fine... there should be a power switch on the back of the computer that will allow you to switch to 220, most monitors now a days have auto switching between 110 and 220 but you can check with the info for the monitor or look at the power adapter. Your speakers not so sure about... but check the power adapter... it will read 110-220 if it can operate on 220. I would say your chances are very good that it will work.

I bought the converter in Siam Paragon for less then 2000 baht. I would not plug anything into a socket from usa unless it is a laptop, digital camera, or video camera and has 50-60hertz 100-240 volt on the back....

I BLEW UP A GOOD HANDBLENDER WITHOUT TAKING MY ADVICE...

Edited by hotgeekus

I BLEW UP A GOOD HANDBLENDER WITHOUT TAKING MY ADVICE...

Hey but it probably worked REALLY GREAT for a short while...

[edit] if the desktop / tower doesn't support switching to 220, just buy a new power supply here, and replace only that, it's not that hard

Edited by Jdietz