CW Report - Application to change from TR to Non-O

17 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Let me get this straight. You have to show that the 800 000 came from abroad?

When using the funds-in-bank method there is only ONE instance that you need to prove their foreign origins, and that is:

When applying at your local IO for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, and using the 800K funds-in-bank method to meet the financial criteria, you DO need to provide evidence that the funds originated from abroad.

When applying for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, and using the 800K funds-in-bank method there is NO need to prove the foreign origin of the funds.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 7:49 AM, LazySlipper said:

Let me get this straight. You have to show that the 800 000 came from abroad?

What if you been working here for years and saved the money?

What if you use some of the money and top off when the time comes?

Do you have to show proof that the money is from abroad??

Seems you might be giving misleading information.

How does it "seem" the information is "misleading"? Because it is not logical to you? Well, it might not be logical but yes, you have to show the money is the product of an international transfer. If you worked and saved locally I don't know what they would say, but I also wondered the same question.

8 hours ago, Jackson B said:

How does it "seem" the information is "misleading"? Because it is not logical to you? Well, it might not be logical but yes, you have to show the money is the product of an international transfer. If you worked and saved locally I don't know what they would say, but I also wondered the same question.

When applying for the 1-year extension of stay you do not need to show that the 800K originated from abroad.  You only need to provide evidence that the 800K has been for two months on your personal thai bank-account (a joint one with your wife is not accepted by IO) at the moment of application.

It is ONLY when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, that you would need to show that the 800K originated from abroad.  And there is no seasoning requirement in that case (that will only be required when applying two months later for the 1-year extension of stay - see higher).

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When applying for the 1-year extension of stay you do not need to show that the 800K originated from abroad.  You only need to provide evidence that the 800K has been for two months on your personal thai bank-account (a joint one with your wife is not accepted by IO) at the moment of application.

It is ONLY when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, that you would need to show that the 800K originated from abroad.  And there is no seasoning requirement in that case (that will only be required when applying two months later for the 1-year extension of stay - see higher).

Yes. That's what I applied for and that's what I got today. Very few people at CW and no queue. All they needed was my blue receipt. Annoyingly, though, the entire process used three pages of passport. 

What I would like clarification on is whether I can put this 800k into a separate account (with slightly higher interest rate) now before the 2-month seasoning.

IOs warned not to do that, but I can't see how it's against the rules. Surely as long as it sits in an account for 2 months before I apply for the extension, it should be fine, no?

40 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

Yes. That's what I applied for and that's what I got today. Very few people at CW and no queue. All they needed was my blue receipt. Annoyingly, though, the entire process used three pages of passport. 

What I would like clarification on is whether I can put this 800k into a separate account (with slightly higher interest rate) now before the 2-month seasoning.

IOs warned not to do that, but I can't see how it's against the rules. Surely as long as it sits in an account for 2 months before I apply for the extension, it should be fine, no?

Probably some misunderstanding or 'lost in translation'.

Yes, you can put the 800K in a Fixed Deposit account which will provide you with a higher interest rate.  There are no rules prohibiting your from doing so.

BUT be aware that:

- You must be able to withdraw the FULL AMOUNT without any delay/waiting, so your funds on an account which does not allow you to do that will NOT be accepted by IO;

- That new account must also be a 'personal' thai bank-account (so not a joint one with your wife).

However, in these crazy Amnesty/border-closure times I would suggest that you do NOT rock the boat and simply keep the 800K on your present bank-account, until you get the 1-year permission to stay stamp in your passport.  Two months of a slightly higher interest rate, do not weigh up to the potential problem you might create by not 'listening' to the IO's advice.

On 9/18/2020 at 5:15 PM, Peter Denis said:

Probably some misunderstanding or 'lost in translation'.

Yes, you can put the 800K in a Fixed Deposit account which will provide you with a higher interest rate.  There are no rules prohibiting your from doing so.

BUT be aware that:

- You must be able to withdraw the FULL AMOUNT without any delay/waiting, so your funds on an account which does not allow you to do that will NOT be accepted by IO;

- That new account must also be a 'personal' thai bank-account (so not a joint one with your wife).

However, in these crazy Amnesty/border-closure times I would suggest that you do NOT rock the boat and simply keep the 800K on your present bank-account, until you get the 1-year permission to stay stamp in your passport.  Two months of a slightly higher interest rate, do not weigh up to the potential problem you might create by not 'listening' to the IO's advice.

In that case I would never be able to switch it to another account right, because it can never fall below 400k, and must be 800k for three months after the extension.

18 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

In that case I would never be able to switch it to another account right, because it can never fall below 400k, and must be 800k for three months after the extension.

There is no problem transferring the funds from your current bank-account to a new bank-account, but

- That new bank-account should also enable you to withdraw the FULL AMOUNT without any delay/waiting (your funds on an account which does not allow you to do that will NOT be accepted by IO);

But it would advise you not to do this during the 2-months seasoning period, and wait till you have the 1-year permission to stay stamp in your passport.

Note: Transferring the funds from one bank-account to another implies that you have to provide evidence from both bank-accounts when applying for your next 1-year extension of stay (or for the 3 month bank-check done at some IOs) that you have not slipped under the minimum tresholds, and that there was no intermediate period between the transfers other than the regular bank transfer.

• Like 1