Thailand Advised To Urgently Reconsider Nuclear Power Option

george

Thailand advised to urgently reconsider nuclear power option

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Department of Alternative Energy Development and Efficiency urged energy-concerned agencies to urgently study possibilities and options to build a nuclear power plant, as neighbouring countries are beginning to use nuclear generated electricity, the agency deputy director general Amnuay Thongsathitya said Thursday.

Speaking at a seminar on "Sustainable Energy Development in Southeast Asia" jointly organised by the Chulalongkorn University Social Research Institute and Greenpeace Southeast Asia, Mr. Amnuay said Thailand must go ahead now to study the nuclear power option for electricity generation, even though there is no conclusive answer as to whether such an energy source would be appropriate for Thailand or not.

Preparations to build a nuclear power plant would take at least 13-15 years, he said, and the most important thing was to educate the public nationwide about nuclear energy.

As for the safety aspect, Mr. Amnuay said he could not state clearly that nuclear energy is definitely safe.

However, he said that now the use of nuclear power plants is on a rising trend every year, and that the Thailand's neighbours -- including Vietnam, Malaysia, and China -- already have their first nuclear power plants.

He also played down worries related to radioactivity as the technology was advanced enough to ensure the safety of the nuclear energy.

"Thailand could not avoid problems related to nuclear power plants, whether or not we have a plant in our country as our neighbouring countries have their own (already)," he said.

Thailand is dependent on imported energy, of which nearly half -- 48-49 per cent -- is fuel oil and the rest is natural gas and other sources energy.

It was expected that by 2011, Mr. Amnuay said, Thailand will use alternative energy for at least 8 per cent of the total energy used -- almost double the present usage in 2007.

This year Thailand was expected to use alternative energy to meet 4.7 per cent of its energy requirement.

--TNA 2007-04-27

If they go through with this I hope they at least have the sense to buy one from France, Canada, UK, or someone else who has some expertise in building them and not some half baked homegrown experiment.

He also played down worries related to radioactivity as the technology was advanced enough to ensure the safety of the nuclear energy.

Really? Maybe he should do a Google on nulear safety, I suggest Chernobyl or Three Mile Island as possible search words.

POPSCI VIDEO

Teen Builds Basement Nuclear Reactor!

One high-school student’s successful quest to create atomic energy, just for kicks

By Gregory Mone

The reactor’s central chamber, where fusion happens

See the bottom of the page for a video demonstration of Thiago Olson's homemade fusion reactor.

Build a Homemade Nuclear Reactor

Cost: $3,500

Time: 2 Years

Itching for a challenging science project, two years ago Thiago Olson decided to build a small nuclear reactor. He had limited funds, limited space in his garage, and little engineering know-how. After all, he was only 15.

do it yourself nuclear fusion.

better not show this to the government !

So whats wrong with Nuclear power then? :D Perfectly safe and better for the environment than coal/fuel/gas powered plants. Wind Farms are an eyesore (and not sure they could be used in Thailand anyway). Perhaps I'm biased though...worked at BNFL Engineering and Sellafield in the past :o and theres nothing wrong with me at all!

I should also add Greenpeace are a bunch of militant scaremongering environmentalists that shouldn't be trusted anyway :D ......and they probably smell! :D

Edited by moonoi

Agreed ,

and until the military can store munitions successfully ,

leave things alone ............................................................

Agreed ,

and until the military can store munitions successfully ,

leave things alone ............................................................

Good one :o

So whats wrong with Nuclear power then? :D Perfectly safe and better for the environment than coal/fuel/gas powered plants. Wind Farms are an eyesore (and not sure they could be used in Thailand anyway). Perhaps I'm biased though...worked at BNFL Engineering and Sellafield in the past :o and theres nothing wrong with me at all!

Perhaps... I would like to hear opinions from people who worked at Chernobyl. :D

If they go through with this I hope they at least have the sense to buy one from France, Canada, UK, or someone else who has some expertise in building them and not some half baked homegrown experiment.

But under the Self Sufficiency program, the design, construction, etc should be based on Thai plans..

So whats wrong with Nuclear power then? :D Perfectly safe and better for the environment than coal/fuel/gas powered plants. Wind Farms are an eyesore (and not sure they could be used in Thailand anyway). Perhaps I'm biased though...worked at BNFL Engineering and Sellafield in the past :D and theres nothing wrong with me at all!

I should also add Greenpeace are a bunch of militant scaremongering environmentalists that shouldn't be trusted anyway :D ......and they probably smell! :D

I agree. Greenpeace had a few of its activists stage a stunt against the new BLCP power plant in Maptaphut recently, which is coal-fired. Can't win with these nuts... I suppose they power their vegan pop festivals and drug parties with electricity produced from marsh gas and bat-droppings or something? :bah:

If constructed and operated 100% correctly, nuclear energy is the cleanest fuel there is. (Although production overheads are very expensive) Unfortunately, I don't ever see Thailand achieving this. :o

Preparations to build a nuclear power plant would take at least 13-15 years, he said, and the most important thing was to educate the public nationwide about nuclear energy.

:D

Yeah, just remind me. How long did they take to build the new airport?

Actually to be fair to them, nuclear power is going to have to be seriously considered as a revived option in a lot of western countries in the near future. The UK is facing a large gap between generating capacity and supply due to the impending retirement of coal fired and the older nuclear power stations. Much as the likes of Greenpeace like to squeak on about alternative energy it is not going to fill the hole. Even a combination of alternative energy supply and a massive thrust in energy conservation is unlikely to make a difference. Nuclear fusion is still a laboratory experiment unlikely to achieve commercial production in less than 50 years if it ever does.

Anyhow as long as they only consider it no harm is done, just a bunch of old duffers chewing the fat for a few years coasting to retirement. I dare ay they'll just have to go on a world tour inspecting operating shopping malls and golf courses, oops sorry of course I meant nuclear facilities.

Then they'll produce a report that says nuclear power is definately the most likely feasible source of future power generation for Thailand in the long term provided market conditions support such a move economically and blah blah blah. :o

PS The estimated cost of one facility is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:D:D:D:bah:

Thailand would not have to wait 15 years if they purchased one of these from Russia !

Earlier this week, it was reported that Russia is now intending to press ahead with a whole " fleet " of these-

this mass for proliferation is very scary ..............

Independent News and Media Limited

Russia's 'floating Chernobyls' to go ahead despite green fears

By Andrew Osborn in Moscow

Russia is to press ahead with the world's first floating nuclear power station despite environmental concerns. The first "floating Chernobyl" could be ready in four years.

The Kremlin has approved the project and a shipyard in the far north of Russia, used to build nuclear submarines, will begin work next year. Rosenergoatom, the country's nuclear power agency, says it intends to build up to six mobile power stations, costing £182m each, the first scheduled for use in 2010.

Sergey Kiriyenko, the head of Rosenergoatom, said: "There will be no floating Chernobyl," referring to the 1986 nuclear disaster. Sergey Obozov, a senior official at the agency, said they would be "reliable as a Kalashnikov assault rifle, which are a benchmark of safety."

But environmentalists warned that the power stations could sink in stormy weather, and could become a target for terrorists. A report from Bellona Foundation, an independent Norwegian research group, claims the floating power stations are "a threat to the Arctic, the world's oceans, and the whole concept of non-proliferation."

The structures will supply heat and electricity to far-flung corners of Russia's far east and far north where it is difficult and expensive to ship coal and oil. Russia also wants to sell the structures to other countries, including China and India.

The structures will have a service life of 40 years, require a crew of 69 people, and could power a medium-sized town. The first power station will be moored in the White Sea off the town of Severodvinsk in Russia's northern Archangel region.

Really? Maybe he should do a Google on nulear safety, I suggest Chernobyl or Three Mile Island as possible search words.

There's been a nuclear reactor (run by Thais) around Chatuchak somewhere for over 40 years, I believe. Haven't seen any two-headed Thais yet!

Wow. Building nuclear reactors here. That would really worry me if I didn't realize that it would probably take 20 years or more for them to actually get there act together and do it(ie skytrain, airport etc.) Otherwise, I would be really concerned about the safety of the facility and the quality of the engineering work. Just look at the probelms with the airport. I wonder if some Thai engineers at the national engineering society would say that foreign experts were not needed and that Thai engineers could do it by themselves.

Also, if the explosion of the munitions dumps in Thailand aren't the result of corruption and weapons smuggling, the rank incompetence of having 4 military munitions facilities explode since 2000 shows a poor ability to care for hazardous materials. If the even one explosions were the result of corruption, I would be concerned about the sale of nuclear materials. Either way it doesn't make me feel very good.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my god... Competition is increasing...

This news will probably be a powerfull incentive for the thai gvt... :o

MOSCOW, May 15 (RIA Novosti) - Russia and Myanmar, formerly Burma, Tuesday signed a deal to build a nuclear facility with a 10-MW reactor fuelled by 20% uranium-235 in the Southeast Asian country and train personnel for it, Russia's Nuclear Power Agency (Rosatom) said.

The facility, to be built by Atomstroyexport, the state-run nuclear construction company, will incorporate a 10-MW light-water nuclear reactor whose fuel will contain 20% of the unstable fission isotope uranium-235, the Rosatom statement says.

The IAEA-controlled center, for which up to 300 Myanmarans will be sent to study nuclear science in Russia, will produce medical isotopes, conduct research into silicon alloying, and will handle and dispose of its own nuclear waste, Rosatom said.

Myanmar is governed by a military regime and may therefore be seen as a concern if it has access to nuclear materials.

Although the Myanmar fuel is classified as "weapons-usable" because of its 20% purity, building a nuclear weapon from it would require extensive additional expertise. Uranium-235 does not breed plutonium as a result of nuclear fission.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070515/65516899.html

So whats wrong with Nuclear power then? :D Perfectly safe and better for the environment than coal/fuel/gas powered plants. Wind Farms are an eyesore (and not sure they could be used in Thailand anyway). Perhaps I'm biased though...worked at BNFL Engineering and Sellafield in the past :D and theres nothing wrong with me at all!

I agree. Greenpeace had a few of its activists stage a stunt against the new BLCP power plant in Maptaphut recently, which is coal-fired. Can't win with these nuts... I suppose they power their vegan pop festivals and drug parties with electricity produced from marsh gas and bat-droppings or something? :bah:

If constructed and operated 100% correctly, nuclear energy is the cleanest fuel there is. (Although production overheads are very expensive) Unfortunately, I don't ever see Thailand achieving this. :o

What about the spent rods of Uranium? I don't think that these are "clean".

Think the Russians have some used equipment they mght want to sell at Chernoble(SP).

Think the Russians have some used equipment they mght want to sell at Chernoble(SP).

I believe Chernobyl is in Ukraine. But don't worry nothing left there nor in these old military bases they built around east europe countries, only radiation.