Wife Is Pregnant

BlackArtemis

Hey everyone, as stated in my milk thread, I recently found out that my wife is pregnant, we went to CM Ram and we met with DR. Pawares Isariyodom

Though in prior reading I read about Dr. Cathreeya Prajongtat being a top choice.

My sister in law says that Pawares is highly sought after by all the Thai women she knows.

We have the choice to switch to Cathreeya, should we or should we stay?

Thanks for any help!

I think if all the other doctors were killing their patients then they would have probably been fired. Point being, you can probably find a cheaper doctor, who is just as good, in another hospital.

Chiang Mai Ram has a reputation of doing more than just being a doctor to the patients. They like to doctor up the bill a bit as well. They are also one of the more expensive hospitals in town.

My son was born out in Phayao about 40 km from the Laos border. They did an excellent job. My son was born via c-section.The cost was 30 baht plus whatever I ate from their fridge. We did have a VIP room but my wife had a second insurance policy that cost about 4000 baht a year that paid for that.

Richard, were you allowed to be present at the birth. A lot of hospitals in Chiang Mai don't allow this - Ram do - I had one friend who was left very disappointed as they were told the baby had self-corrected a breach and just before the birth they were told that the breach hadn't self-corrected and he couldn't be present at the birth. That was in the private clinic at Suan Dok.

Richard, were you allowed to be present at the birth. A lot of hospitals in Chiang Mai don't allow this - Ram do - I had one friend who was left very disappointed as they were told the baby had self-corrected a breach and just before the birth they were told that the breach hadn't self-corrected and he couldn't be present at the birth. That was in the private clinic at Suan Dok.

Dan,

We went in the morning for a normal checkup about a week before the scheduled delivery. The doctor said the baby wasn't turned right and felt immediate surgery was necessary. So I went back home and packed a bag while the hospital processed my wife into the hospital.

I wasn't allowed to be present for the surgery. I waited in the waiting room during the operation. My wife wasn't awake either. After the surgery, they brought my baby out to the waiting room in an incubator.

The baby and my wife were both ok. We stayed a few more days in the vip room while she recovered. I slept there too.

I really wasn't concerned with being in the same room with my wife. My greatest concern was that they both would be ok.

What could I possibly do if there were complications? Sit there and ask the doctor, "what's going on"? My baby came out healthy. To me, thats way more important than me being present for the birth.

CM Ram does not allow anyone to be present for the surgery anymore. Dr. Catareeya allowed me for my first kid but not for the second and third ones.

as for the op's question. Both doctors are very competent in what they do. Perhaps you should ask the missus if she prefers a male or a female doctor.

She is willing to choice either sex, though if both are highly regarded I am betting my money of the female.

Further more, who cares about money? I don't want to save money, I want my wife and child to be well cared for, also I will have her on my insurance so I will look into sending the bill back home, if this is possible I will look at 20-30k which isn't much at all.

My wife gave birth at Chiang Mai Ram, and I was very pleased with the whole package. So we maybe paid a little more than we would elsewhere, but the whole process was excellent. To begin with we tried to go to Lanna hospital, but ended up sitting there for 5 hours one day waiting to see the doctor for a routine visit. For me the service and 'waiting' time saved was worth the money difference.

Also I was allowed in to watch the birth (this was 8 months ago)... What could I do if something went wrong? Nothing, but just being there was an amazing experience.

As for the doctors name, it escapes me, but I can ask the wife - PM me if you want. He was a largish chap who seemed to find everything funny!

Good Luck OP.

Our baby was delivered by Dr. Pawares, I think he's excellent. He also has his own clinic for check-ups during pregnancy on the Hang Dong Road, close to Airport Plaza intersection opposite to where the tiny Pizza Hut delivery shop is.

They allow you in the room during delivery and Dr Pawares had excellent suggestions on how to videotape the whole thing tastefully. :o He's a really nice guy, I run into him sometimes around town and always have a friendly chat with him. I can understand why women like him, he's very good at explaining things and putting their minds at ease.

Absolutely nothing new-agey about the whole thing of course, so look elsewhere if you want floating yogurt meditation births.

Our baby was delivered by Dr. Pawares, I think he's excellent. He also has his own clinic for check-ups during pregnancy on the Hang Dong Road, close to Airport Plaza intersection opposite to where the tiny Pizza Hut delivery shop is.

They allow you in the room during delivery and Dr Pawares had excellent suggestions on how to videotape the whole thing tastefully. :D He's a really nice guy, I run into him sometimes around town and always have a friendly chat with him. I can understand why women like him, he's very good at explaining things and putting their minds at ease.

Absolutely nothing new-agey about the whole thing of course, so look elsewhere if you want floating yogurt meditation births.

I'd like mine with blueberries on the bottom (no pun intended) with a double mocha vente decaf, milk from freerange cattle and no animal cruelty.... :o

When my wife went into labour 6 weeks early (a long time ago, in a very far away place-22 years ago, Lima Peru) we rushed to the private clinic 1st thing in the morning. Our doc said C-section needed; umbilicus wrapped around baby's neck. They whisked her into surgery. Remember how hospitals all had that horrible Kelly green paint, and frosted glass with diamond pattern wire? I was a basket case waiting in the cafeteria with dad in law and brother in law. The GOOD thing is they offered Black Label in this clinic cafeteria. When they wheeled the little tyke out on a bubble cart, it was and still remains the happiest moment of my life.

Everything will be fine. They will do a great job, and you will be proud new parents. I am happy for you both!

Dr. Thawatchai, definitely.

An expert OB/GYN guy. He reversed my wife's tubal ligation, gave great care, and the fact that he's a director of the hospital and speaks perfect English is not a bad extra. BTW, during the reversal, he spotted a bad, misplaced appendix that no one in the West had seen (they chalked it up to gall bladder problems) whe she complained of the pain. He removed it at no extra cost, thereby saving her life since it was close to rupturing, and she would have just figured it was the gall blader again. Dr Thawatchai is tops in our book, and has a great sense of humor too.

Larry

Edited by Larry

• 3 years later...

Hi Larry, I was just reading through your post reagrding your wifes tubal ligation reversal procedure, I too am looking for a doctor in thailand who can do this procedure for me... Could you give me a bit of feedback regarding Dr. Thawatchai and did your wife get pregnant after the procedure. I would appreciate any information you can provide to me.

Thanks Cindy

Dr. Thawatchai, definitely.

An expert OB/GYN guy. He reversed my wife's tubal ligation, gave great care, and the fact that he's a director of the hospital and speaks perfect English is not a bad extra. BTW, during the reversal, he spotted a bad, misplaced appendix that no one in the West had seen (they chalked it up to gall bladder problems) whe she complained of the pain. He removed it at no extra cost, thereby saving her life since it was close to rupturing, and she would have just figured it was the gall blader again. Dr Thawatchai is tops in our book, and has a great sense of humor too.

Larry

Further more, who cares about money? I don't want to save money, I want my wife and child to be well cared for

Statements like this are considered blasphemy on Thai Visa, but nice to see for a change. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

We had Dr Cataleeya at Ram and were also very happy with her. I was allowed to attend our baby's delivery and held the baby before the mother. Dr C takes the time to speak to the father and explain things in English. Also, I think she's very cute.

BlackArtemis,

Congratulations. We're seeing Dr Suppachai at CM Ram and very happy.

Just thought I'd let you know of some additional support you & your wife can get which my partner & I have found really helpful, especially being our first!

Take a look at http://www.sanookbook.com/index.php?page=pages&id=8

We are using Alexandra, the Doula, mentioned on this site - she's fantastic support throughout pregnancy/labour and works with the Doctors at CM Ram.

The free birth classes run by Raintree Resource Center are great too.

BlackArtemis,

Congratulations. W...

Folks, may I point out that BlackArtemis' wife was pregnant in 2007. See the post date.

Logic commands that the baby is between 2 and 3 years old now. An update on how it went would be nice though... :)