Shipping car from Thailand to Europe

Topah

I want to ship a car from Bangkok to Europe. Anyone know where to start to make this happen? I used google but there if here is someone who actually did this and can recommend some company?

I can't help you with how to ship... 

BUT... there is a reason why this is not a common process - cars in Europe are cheaper than they are in Thailand. 

Thus, unless there is a very specific reason why a very specific car is to be shipped - with shipping costs etc its very likely to be more costly than it would be to simply sell the vehicle here and then purchase the same vehicle in Europe.

Where this might not hold so true would be for older vehicles that have been 'restored' with cheaper labour here... 

i.e. old VW Beetles and Camper Vans etc and some other classics. 

I ship cheap old van full of stuff so it is not about the value of the car. Car does not have value. Would like to know about shipping goods from Thailand to Europe inside container. How to proceed? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Any vehicle bought in Thailand and shipped to Europe will probably run foul of the regulations regarding exhaust emissions, build standard, etc., and would therefore not be able to be registered and will possibly usable in it's destination country.

Suggest you explore that end of the process first to see if it would be acceptable.

I remember somebody who shipped a 3 wheeler tuk-tuk home, and was told on it's arrival that it could not be registered to use on the public roads.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Any vehicle bought in Thailand and shipped to Europe will probably run foul of the regulations regarding exhaust emissions, build standard, etc., and would therefore not be able to be registered and will possibly usable in it's destination country.

Suggest you explore that end of the process first to see if it would be acceptable.

I remember somebody who shipped a 3 wheeler tuk-tuk home, and was told on it's arrival that it could not be registered to use on the public roads.

This car does not need to be registered. Its value is just for shipping stuff inside. I can sell it for spare parts or waste it. I can drive it to container in Bangkok amd from destination port to final destination. 

Edited by Topah

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I can't help you with how to ship... 

BUT... there is a reason why this is not a common process - cars in Europe are cheaper than they are in Thailand. 

Thus, unless there is a very specific reason why a very specific car is to be shipped - with shipping costs etc its very likely to be more costly than it would be to simply sell the vehicle here and then purchase the same vehicle in Europe.

Where this might not hold so true would be for older vehicles that have been 'restored' with cheaper labour here... 

i.e. old VW Beetles and Camper Vans etc and some other classics. 

About 10-15 years ago it used to be cheaper to get pickup trucks, Toyotas in Mitsubishi in Thailand and ship to Europe, some dedicated business putting in aftermarket heaters or even replacing thai model radiators for one with heater cores

For classic cars, since banning any 'new' importation of classic, price in Thailand has gone through the roof, but there's the occasional rare cars like gullwing SLs to Ferrari F40s being shipped out 

Is there anyone who can actually answer to my question? I am trying to find information how to ship a car from Bangkok to Europe or just ship stuff inside container from Bangkok to EU... 😄

Anyone has done it and which service would you recommend? Where to start? I did use google but would appreciate it a lot if someone who has done this can give a suggestion.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Topah said:

Is there anyone who can actually answer to my question?

Your OP has only been up for an hour and a bit, how about giving others time to read it and respond before seeing your arse about it? 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Your OP has only been up for an hour and a bit, how about giving others time to read it and respond before seeing your arse about it? 

Yes it seems even an hour is too less time to understand the question. Anyway dont worry... I will find the solution from elsewhere also but I thought this is a good forum. Maybe I was wrong? Answers so far did not help but I know people maybe wanted to help. Thanks for that. 

Edited by Topah
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

To ship a 20ft (6m) Container from TH to Europe cost 1800 - 4000 USD, depend the Month and the Company. To this cost add Import Tax VAT depends the receiving Country and Custom Paperwork extra cost as also Official vehicle acceptance of the recipient country. Without this you cannot redeem your vehicle there. All in all not Cheap. My experience says never again.

Just go to your preferred shipping agent, there are many.

If you are savvy their costs will be similar.

In my work here have sent hundreds of fully stuffed containers (some to Europe) & always got 3 quotes.

Never much difference in price but sailing date availability differs

My gut feeling is that this wish to get a vehicle from Thailand to Europe is pretty rare and even if there was someone here actually has experience of the procedure it might have been a long time ago.

Someone here mentioned a Shipping Agent and that would be my first option to establish the current procedure and potential costs and the exact destination - I am not sure that "Europe" is an ultimate destination.

Surely a wind up. Shipping a car for the purpose of shipping other stuff placed in the car? Why not just ship the other stuff avoiding costs associated with shipping the car. Don’t forget to remove flammable stuff like fuel, oil, battery. 😂😂😂😂

• Agree 1

On 5/25/2024 at 2:22 PM, Topah said:

This car does not need to be registered. Its value is just for shipping stuff inside. I can sell it for spare parts or waste it. I can drive it to container in Bangkok amd from destination port to final destination. 

Forget the car as you would have to pay import taxes on it upon arrival. Pack your stuff in packing crates and contact a freight forwarding company who will then arrange the necessary container space for shipping to the destination country in Europe and tell you how to deliver the crates to them. That's what I did when shipping goods from Europe to Florida. You'll still have to pay taxes on what you ship, but will save the taxes and shipping costs for the car.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:22 AM, Topah said:

here is a thread from 2016 on the same subject

In most countries  in Europe you would need to obtain a car passport

A Carnet de Passages en Douanes is an internationally recognised Customs document entitling the holder to TEMPORARILY import a vehicle duty-free into certain countries, which normally require a deposit against import charges for such vehicles (generally countries outside Europe). The Carnet is used within the legal framework of the UN Customs Conventions of 1954 & 1956, and the ‘Convention on Temporary Admission’ (1990), the so called ‘Istanbul Convention’

https://www.carseurope.net/carnet-de-passage-en-douanes-cpd/

On issuing a Carnet, a Carnet holder becomes directly responsible for the payment of customs duties and taxes if the regulations concerning temporary import are infringed.

In order to take on this responsibility, CARS requires the applicant to meet a number of conditions: they must be able to give a full postal address and provide a legible copy of their passport, vehicle registration document/certificate and driving licence (paper form and photocard).

The applicant must also provide a security amount in the form of either a non-refundable insurance indemnity or a part-refundable deposit guarantee. A percentage of the deposit guarantee will be charged to cover administration and bank fees.

Most countries will ask you to provide a deposit for you vehicle which will be refunded once you leave the country

There is a couple travelling the world from the UK in a Ford transit van youtube TREAD the globe

when they entered Malaysia they were asked to provide £15,500 for the Malaysian carnet which is refundable once the vehicle leaves  Malaysia

so the idea of wasting the vehicle or selling it for spares is a non-starter 

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 2:55 PM, Topah said:

Is there anyone who can actually answer to my question? I am trying to find information how to ship a car from Bangkok to Europe or just ship stuff inside container from Bangkok to EU... 😄

Anyone has done it and which service would you recommend? Where to start? I did use google but would appreciate it a lot if someone who has done this can give a suggestion.

https://www.maersk.com/transportation-services/ocean-transport

https://www.maersk.com/logistics-explained/transportation-and-freight/2024/04/18/cars-in-containers

Edited by JimTripper