Visa and Entry for parents of Thai children?

Medical insurance is not a problem - many options to chose from.

Do you want to return at the very end of September?

If you have all required documents short of ASQ Hotel/Flight bookings you probably still could make it.

But you have to act fast.

Get a repat flight/ ASQ hotel matching date bookings (it's a requirement) and submit all required info via the online application.

If everything checks out they'll tell to send in the passport for a Non-O visa.

17 hours ago, unheard said:

Medical insurance is not a problem - many options to chose from.

Do you want to return at the very end of September?

If you have all required documents short of ASQ Hotel/Flight bookings you probably still could make it.

But you have to act fast.

Get a repat flight/ ASQ hotel matching date bookings (it's a requirement) and submit all required info via the online application.

If everything checks out they'll tell to send in the passport for a Non-O visa.

No, I plan to travel to Thailand in October. 
Why do I have to act fast? 
The online application seems to be messed up. It requires me to buy the medical insurance and buy flight before getting the visa. I cannot submit the application without uploading those docs. 

Where can I buy medical insurance? 

How about the flight? I don't even know about current available flights. 

2 hours ago, johnbarley said:

No, I plan to travel to Thailand in October. 
Why do I have to act fast? 
The online application seems to be messed up. It requires me to buy the medical insurance and buy flight before getting the visa. I cannot submit the application without uploading those docs. 

Where can I buy medical insurance? 

How about the flight? I don't even know about current available flights. 

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/11/foreigners_family/

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/related-procedures-in-requesting-for-a-certificate-of-entry-and-visa-to-enter-thailand/visa-and-certificate-of-entry-for-non-thai-nationals-who-are-a-spouse-parents-or-children-of-a-thai-nationals/

If you plan to travel in October then no rush.

The repat flight schedule for October won't be published until the end of this month.

When the flight schedule for October is out then you can choose on which airline/date you wanna travel and then book the ASQ room for that date.

Submit the bookings along other info by filling out the application.

Also buy and submit a copy of the covid insurance with the starting date matching the arrival date.

If everything looks good the embassy/consulate will tell you to send in your passport and issue a COE.

For the insurance coverage you can try this one.

Choose the option that does not exclude covid with the coverage minimum of $100K.

Insurance must be purchased for the duration of stay.

https://www.insubuy.com/travel-health-insurance/

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, unheard said:

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/11/foreigners_family/

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/related-procedures-in-requesting-for-a-certificate-of-entry-and-visa-to-enter-thailand/visa-and-certificate-of-entry-for-non-thai-nationals-who-are-a-spouse-parents-or-children-of-a-thai-nationals/

If you plan to travel in October then no rush.

The repat flight schedule for October won't be published until the end of this month.

When the flight schedule for October is out then you can choose on which airline/date you wanna travel and then book the ASQ room for that date.

Submit the bookings along other info by filling out the application.

Also buy and submit a copy of the covid insurance with the starting date matching the arrival date.

If everything looks good the embassy/consulate will tell you to send in your passport and issue a COE.

For the insurance coverage you can try this one.

Choose the option that does not exclude covid with the coverage minimum of $100K.

Insurance must be purchased for the duration of stay.

https://www.insubuy.com/travel-health-insurance/

Thanks, do you know where they are listing September flights? I'd like to see my departure options. I would like to book now so that I can apply. The online application requires it. 

Medical insurance is not too bad, about $115 for 3 months.
So I have to just buy the airplane ticket and hotel and hope they approve the application. Otherwise, I lose my money. 

Normally, I just fly with no visa so this is new to me.

Edited by johnbarley

1 hour ago, unheard said:

If you're qualified and can provide necessary documents then you'll be approved.

Well the online application requires I upload these proofs so seems I have to book now. I'll look for refundable ones. 

Should I apply for O type Spouse / Children of Thai National?
I am not legally married.  

Children of Thai National sounds like someone who is not Thai but has a Thai parent. This is the opposite of my situation but none of the other types seem to fit. 

image.png.6e155e72b2c640654c8f0e803674102d.png

Edited by ubonjoe
snipped image to fit the page better

If you don't intent on traveling in September then you don't need to apply now.

You should qualify as a parent of Thai child.

But you have to have a legal way to prove that the child is yours.

I don't know the requirements for that particular situation.

You have to talk to your local consulate or the embassy.

Edited by unheard

16 minutes ago, unheard said:

If you don't intent on traveling in September then you don't need to apply now.

You should qualify as a parent of Thai child.

But you have to have a legal way to prove that the child is yours.

I don't know the requirements for that particular situation.

You have to talk to your local consulate or the embassy.

Thanks, I have their birth certs so that should work. 

They also require this before you fly:

How hard is this to get in the US? I heard people were waiting a long time to get tests. Can you just walk into a lab and get it quickly? 

And no idea what the "Fit to Fly Health Cert" is.

3.2 A Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected, using RT-PCR test, issued no more than 72 hours before departure

3.3 A ‘Fit to Fly Health Certificate’ issued no more than 72 hours before departure

Just a birth certificate might not be enough.

You have to talk to the consulate personnel.

For the RT-PCR test you need to find a local private clinic/lab - $120-$400 for the next day result.

It's nearly impossible to obtain the test result in time through the free channels.

Fit to fly might be obtained through your regular doctor if willing/able to accommodate.

If not then supposedly travel clinics might do it but it's all local.

Normally the process requires quite a bit of time and patience and lots of calling around to find a workable solution.

1 minute ago, unheard said:

Just a birth certificate might not be enough.

You have to talk to the consulate personnel.

For the RT-PCR test you need to find a local private clinic/lab - $120-$400 for the next day result.

It's nearly impossible to obtain the test result in time through the free channels.

Fit to fly might be obtained through your regular doctor if willing/able to accommodate.

If not then supposedly travel clinics might do it but it's all local.

Normally the process requires quite a bit of time and patience and lots of calling around to find a workable solution.

LOL, what a mess. I'm also flying into the US from another country on a repatriation flight. So I have to coordinate all this along with that. 
I have no regular doctor in the US. Suppose I'll end up paying another $500 for the COVID test + fit to fly certificate if I can manage to get both at the same time and not more than 72 hrs before the flight. 

Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, johnbarley said:

Well the online application requires I upload these proofs so seems I have to book now. I'll look for refundable ones. 

Should I apply for O type Spouse / Children of Thai National?
I am not legally married.  

Children of Thai National sounds like someone who is not Thai but has a Thai parent. This is the opposite of my situation but none of the other types seem to fit. 

image.png.6e155e72b2c640654c8f0e803674102d.png

Just poor wording of it. You qualify for the being the parent of a Thai. It should of said are a Thai national.

Your child's birth certificate will prove you are their father. The may also want a copy of their house book registry as further proof they are Thai. It they are old enough to have one a copy of their Thai ID card may be needed.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, unheard said:

That's the process - they won't issue the visa until you submit all required documents including the flight/hotel bookings.

I can confirm that. I recently arrived from Manila and needed to commit financially to the flight, ASQ, and produce evidence of insurance before they would process the visa application (and Certificate of Entry). Then needed a fit to fly certificate (relatively easy) and a negative Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours of flight departure (more difficult) to submit to the embassy at 3pm the day before the morning flight. Very stressful, to say the least.

9 hours ago, johnbarley said:

Thanks, do you know where they are listing September flights? I'd like to see my departure options. I would like to book now so that I can apply. The online application requires it. 

Medical insurance is not too bad, about $115 for 3 months.
So I have to just buy the airplane ticket and hotel and hope they approve the application. Otherwise, I lose my money. 

Normally, I just fly with no visa so this is new to me.

"Normally, I just fly with no visa so this is new to me."

You will be travelling on a repatriation flight. This is new to everybody because it is the first time ever. 

17 hours ago, mbeau said:

I can confirm that. I recently arrived from Manila and needed to commit financially to the flight, ASQ, and produce evidence of insurance before they would process the visa application (and Certificate of Entry). Then needed a fit to fly certificate (relatively easy) and a negative Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours of flight departure (more difficult) to submit to the embassy at 3pm the day before the morning flight. Very stressful, to say the least.

Was it hard to get a COVID test with quick results? 
Probably much easier to get a "fit to fly" certificate in Manila than in the US. Suppose you have to schedule a visit with a doctor and pay him $200 or something to check your blood pressure.