To Own A Petrol Station & 7-eleven

Thank you all for the information and advise. Tomorrow I will contact PTT and Power Green Alliance to survey the land.

From my own experience the land is well located on a junction on the main 226 road close to Krasang if you are heading towards Surin. There are 2 priately owned small fuel stations within 10k of the location.

I will try and keep this forum informed of details as I am certain others might wish to follow suit.

Maybe even Blizzard might wish to enter into the "fuel buznit" its a lot more fun than doing all those visa runs

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petrol,

I wish you all the luck. I was behind you 100% until you said the part about spending 20 million baht on a business because you are bored. I think occupying time because you are bored falls under the hobby category so I can see why some here will not support you. To each his own, it's your money.

But, a business is for making money. A job is often for keeping older bored people busy.

If you are bored, and that is the ONLY reason you are interested in starting a business, it kind of sounds doomed from the start. It's not that you aren't a good businessman, it's just that the goals of your business plan will be misguided.

Sorry about the unsolicited comments, I can see your mind is made up already and my meaningless comments with fall on deaf ears.

Again...I wish you the best.

A saying I live by "I don't mind spending money, but I hate wasting it."

I'm surprised someone hasn't shouted out "If you want to throw money away, throw it my way" sort of thing!

Peace...

i dont believe it no beeleeve.

you agree with me on that bored part.....lol.

i as you dont care what he does with his money, as its sound like he got a lot more.

and its not that i dont think foreigners cant make money in thailand, but you need good reasons to try.

pipe dreams dont do it. opening business to appease wife also not good idea.(yhis im reeding between lines)

Thank you all for the information and advise. Tomorrow I will contact PTT and Power Green Alliance to survey the land.

From my own experience the land is well located on a junction on the main 226 road close to Krasang if you are heading towards Surin. There are 2 priately owned small fuel stations within 10k of the location.

I will try and keep this forum informed of details as I am certain others might wish to follow suit.

Maybe even Blizzard might wish to enter into the "fuel buznit" its a lot more fun than doing all those visa runs

Would it be on the junction of 226 and 2208? If so, should be a good spot. Catch all the trafic coming from Bangkok, Korat and Buriram going to Surin, Si Saket and Ubon.

Sawatdee Ptrolhead,

I am planning to retire next year and move to Buri Ram. I had similar thoughts about a 7/11 store but I don't have the 20 million baht. I'll be in Buri Ram this summer for 2 months and it sounds like we have a lot in common so it would be great to meet up and "have a cold one." I hope to talk with you soon, Cliff

Just had a word with the PTT and Power Green Alliance. Luckely I phoned PGA first. I found them very helpful in providing me with direct contact with PTT and their advise was good.

As Mackayae explaine there are several options available to either finance the project through PTT or to own the station and have a supply contract with them.

PTT will now inspect the area and evaluate the project next week. PGA would undertake the work for PTT but PGA can also build it for us. The price for a small 3x3 9 pump station with carwash, mini-mart, and coffee shop would be from 12,000,000Baht.

PGA have approved pre-designed drawings and specification and work mainly for PTT and the CP group that owns 7-Eleven. They will also inspect the area next week with PTT to give a more acurate costing.

Hi , When u say "carwash" , Do you mean car wash machine?

As surprisly I didnt see it in Thailand at all..

On this subject please answer me-why?

Its faster,its cleaner,its about the same price as hand wash,and it attracked people to the gas station (which brings benefit to the gas station and the carwash owner..

I'm thinking to invest in a machine like this..maybe in your station..who knows.. :o

Its faster,its cleaner,its about the same price as hand wash,and it attracked people to the gas station (which brings benefit to the gas station and the carwash owner..

I'm thinking to invest in a machine like this..maybe in your station..who knows.. :o

Why spend money on machines when labour is so cheap

Hand wash is much more desirable than machine wash. The nylon fibers in a car wash machine will scratch your paintwork. It is not noticeable at first but after a year or two of continual washings you will notice it. I would never take my car to a car wash machine.

Just had a word with the PTT and Power Green Alliance. Luckely I phoned PGA first. I found them very helpful in providing me with direct contact with PTT and their advise was good.

As Mackayae explaine there are several options available to either finance the project through PTT or to own the station and have a supply contract with them.

PTT will now inspect the area and evaluate the project next week. PGA would undertake the work for PTT but PGA can also build it for us. The price for a small 3x3 9 pump station with carwash, mini-mart, and coffee shop would be from 12,000,000Baht.

PGA have approved pre-designed drawings and specification and work mainly for PTT and the CP group that owns 7-Eleven. They will also inspect the area next week with PTT to give a more acurate costing.

Sounds like a plan. After gassing up the customers can have the car washed while taking a coffee break or shopping in the mini-mart. Simple operation; best of luck.

Have you ever calculated your ROI on your 12 million Baht investment?

You say you make 35 satang per litre of fuel sold.

Let us say you are at a ten year it means you need to sell a 1000 liters a day to break even after ten years (for example if only selling fuel).

It means you need to have a net profit of (all of your combined bizz and shops) about 33000 Baht a day.

Good luck but I think I know better ways to invest your money.

Let us say you are at a ten year it means you need to sell a 1000 liters a day to break even after ten years (for example if only selling fuel).

It means you need to have a net profit of (all of your combined bizz and shops) about 33000 Baht a day.

With 6 rai's on a junction in the middle of Buriram, what the hel_l else can he do, its not like 6 rai of land in the middle of Bangkok.

Then again he cold grow some weed, but I think this guy wants an honest business and you should also take into the equation AlexLah that the project seems to be somethng to elivate bordom and the land price would dramatically increase with a petrol station on it - the sale of which (if he would sell), I would imagine would be well over 20million - thats decent proffit on 6 rai in Buriram

you dont calculate profit wo including the cost of the land.

if you sell for 20 million and the improvements worth 12m and land worth 8 m. you made s h i t.

is profit , net to a thai the same as gross receipts. ex the petrolhead sells 10,000 baht worth of petrol , so his wife thinks they netted 10,000 as profit.

mr alex , you forgetting that thais gonna be shooping while buying their 100 baht worht of petrol.

Edited by blizzard

if you sell for 20 million and the improvements worth 12m and land worth 8 m. you made s h i t.

is profit , net to a thai the same as gross receipts. ex the petrolhead sells 10,000 baht worth of petrol , so his wife thinks they netted 10,000 as profit.

mr alex , you forgetting that thais gonna be shooping while buying their 100 baht worht of petrol.

If you really believe this then you obviously don't live here. If you do live here you are a slow learner and don't know anything about Thai business people. Perhaps you are trying to funny; if this is the case keep yer day job.........you ain't funny.

My Thai mother-in-law owns a few markets and also sells various goods herself at those markets. 5 minutes after the market closes she knows the EXACT net to the baht.

Why are your posts always so neg.? Have you been burned in Thailand?

i look it more as being realistic.

i do lik e tthe humouros approach.

the guy is investing a lot of money, so he loses a lot, he has a lot, he dont care so why should we.

theres others in this thread who have same opioion as me but they just more polite.

guys like yourself who just say good job good job are basically yes men.

Edited by blizzard

If he indeed has a net profit of 33000 baht a day he will be a rich man.

33K(net profit per day) X 365 days = 12,045,000 baht (net profit 1 year)

I assume you mean 3300 baht a day net profit.

Actually, he only needs to net 4700 baht a day to get investment back in 7 years. I've seen my Thai mother-in-law net over 3K in a few hours at the night market in the middle of nowhere. Of course it's not every night but you get the idea. Money CAN be made here it takes capital and good business sense. I admire people with the guts to go for it.....not in a reckless fashion of course but a well thought out plan.

i look it more as being realistic.

i do lik e tthe humouros approach.

the guy is investing a lot of money, so he loses a lot, he has a lot, he dont care so why should we.

theres others in this thread who have same opioion as me but they just more polite.

guys like yourself who just say good job good job are basically yes men.

Yes, I entirely agree with your sentence (in blue).

Quite a statement (in red) since you don't know me. If I thought his business idea was a poor one I would state so. In this case I think he has a shot at a successful business.

You of course are entitled to an opposite point of view and perhaps your view is correct and mine is wrong.

But why are your posts so sarcastic? I guess that's what bothers me about your post. Can't you just offer some facts/opinions without coming off like a smarta## or troll? Maybe you can't because you ARE a smarta## or troll; this sure seems to be the tone of your posts.

BTW, I know a little something about business having owned several in the states. I also have started a successful business here in Thailand which I plan to expand in a couple of years once other things I'm working on fall into place. I retired at 48 having started with nothing......still working are you Mr. buznit college?

BTW, your 'approach' comes off nothing like 'humouros'.

see what i mean. it means not much to have a good night. but you make it sound like its ez.

give us the real numbers the granny get and i bet its just the same same as having a measly old job.

Oh, so now I'm lying about the income. You are truly a class act. :o

i didnt say you were lying, but you think you give a cumplete picture by saying granny has a good night every now and then.

give me monthly sales, what she sells, where she sells it, how many hours, etc, and ill tell you point blank if she really has a good thing going.

you related of course you not going to tell her her busnit sucks, if it actually does.

say a bargirl get a big payday of 75$ but her usual income is 5$ a day. is she a success in her chosen profession or is she just another bargirl. im sure she telling all she is a 75$ a day kind of gal.

if this is not funny i may cut out the attempts at humour..............lol.

I am now bored from not doing anything here in Buriram, so this would be hobby

Hi Petrolhead,

Owning a petrol station is a weird weird hobby IMO. But it's understandable that after a few years in Buriram, you are bored and confused. Who wouldn't be ?

Anyway, if it's only a hobby you're desperately looking for, what about reading, writing, painting, travelling, biking, trekking, crossword, soduku, photography, music, farniente, making movies, teaching, doing some community work, fishing, knitting, gardening, ... ?????

Have you ever noticed the high number of abandoned petrol stations ?

Good luck anyway.

i didnt say you were lying, but you think you give a cumplete picture by saying granny has a good night every now and then.

give me monthly sales, what she sells, where she sells it, how many hours, etc, and ill tell you point blank if she really has a good thing going.

you related of course you not going to tell her her busnit sucks, if it actually does.

say a bargirl get a big payday of 75$ but her usual income is 5$ a day. is she a success in her chosen profession or is she just another bargirl. im sure she telling all she is a 75$ a day kind of gal.

if this is not funny i may cut out the attempts at humour..............lol.

I never tried to say she's getting rich. She is making money.

quote: you related of course you not going to tell her her busnit sucks, if it actually does.

Don't understand where you got this idea; perhaps a few beers today or your comprehension skills

are lacking. :o

looks like you need to stop the attempts at humor then.....nothing remotely funny there (at least IMHO).

I'm not feeling a troll from Blizzard, I think he has a good bu11sh1t detector. What can you expect when a guy posts on a discussion forum about throwing 20 million baht at a business cause he's bored?

If the guy writes a business plan to submit to the petrol/7-11 people, is that one of his goals? "I want to eliminate or reduce my boredom and/or give my wife and I something to do"

They'll see another lost farang and not grant him a franchise.

So, blizzard called him and a couple of you out? Thin skinned are we? Or does the truth hurt?

8 million for 6 rai in Buriram - nah, Blizzard, 6 rai in Buriram would no be more than 300,000THB

Profitability from just selling fuel:

Worked on an example of an average pump selling 150,000 litres per month. (trading 6 am - 10pm)

Difference between cost of bulk fuel & selling price: 90 satang. (Avg.) per litre.

less - transport to say Buriram 47 - 50 Satang per litre.

Gross Profit - 40 Satang per litre or 60,000B per month.

less

Staff - 6 @ 155 per day. - 27,900 per month

Cashier - 2 @ 250 per day - 15,000 per month

Electricity - 2000 per month

Water - 1000 per month.

Office (inc. accounting fees, telephone, air con, etc.) - 7,500 per month

Pump Maintenance - repainting, cleaners, light bulbs etc - 5000 per month

equals Nett profit 1,600B per month. (this is optimistic)

Land values in rural thailand:

No agricultural value, no utilities, miles from main road - 10,000B per rai.

Gum tree or tapioca growing value (undeveloped)- 25,000B per rai.

Premium rice paddy (developed) - 60,000 - 100,000 per rai.

Above fronting main arterial road with utilties - 200K - 1000K Baht per rai.

Fronting main road inside city limits - 1000K - 5000K baht per rai.

(Usually broken up into a "horng" or shop with 4 metres road frontage, avg price in avg location 1.75 mil Baht per shop.)

Petrol Station on main road (not in town centre) on about 10 rai of land selling about 200,000 litres per month with 7/11 (company owned but long lease), with other sub-let business's on property.

Bank values that at about 22 mil baht.

Actual value - I have no idea!!

Cheers,

Soundman.

you forgot in your expense statement 24 - hour sleeping security guards.

for you who dont know waht a sleeping security guard is go thE sutthisan mrt station and at immigration and visa building you will see some in action.

i know a thai girl who lives in a 3k baht month secured bldg who wonders why pay a guy to sleep.

GOD I LUB THAILAND. THAILAND NUMBER 1/

you forgot in your expense statement 24 - hour sleeping security guards.

for you who dont know waht a sleeping security guard is go thE sutthisan mrt station and at immigration and visa building you will see some in action.

i know a thai girl who lives in a 3k baht month secured bldg who wonders why pay a guy to sleep.

GOD I LUB THAILAND. THAILAND NUMBER 1/

Nah - didn't forget that at all.

We used to employ a nightime security guard cos the dunnies were always getting vandalised. Stopped doing that cos they were totally in-effective. (always sleeping).

These days my father in law just goes down to the pump every other night & walks around for an hour or two with a shotgun slung over the shoulder. This has been a much more effective deterant to the nightly gangs that hang outside 7/11 at four in the morning. :o

Cheers,

Soundman.