Speed Boat Ownership

ZZZ

Any speed boat owners here? Thinking of getting one but would like to know what the deal is.

Can you drive it yourself, need to get a license? How do you get one?

Whats the costs, yearly tax, parking/storage?

Any speed boat owners here? Thinking of getting one but would like to know what the deal is.

Can you drive it yourself, need to get a license? How do you get one?

Whats the costs, yearly tax, parking/storage?

I used to own a speedboat for awhile. First, you need a license to drive it, if you don't, you should hire a licensed boatman to drive it for you. You can buy one at a dealership, some are good, some are real crooks or from a private party. The engine and drive train are by far the most expensive part of the boat and parts are not cheap. These speed boats can use an amazing amount of fuel so remember to include that in your budget.

You can store it at the Bali Hai pier area for around 2,600 baht per month depending on the size of the boat. You can store it elsewhere for less but you'll have to pay approx 300 baht for a tractor to take the boat in and out for you at the boat slip each time you use it.

Ownership transfer fee was 4000 baht as of a year ago and there is a nominal yearly fee. Insurance is not bad.

Not worth buying unless you plan to use it often or you have some money to throw around on expensive toys.

Any ideas how the license bit works, I would not be to keen on having to hire a boatman every time I take the boat out.

Can you get the license here in Pattaya, can you get a foreign license converted to Thai?

Any ideas how the license bit works, I would not be to keen on having to hire a boatman every time I take the boat out.

Can you get the license here in Pattaya, can you get a foreign license converted to Thai?

Wish I could be of more help with this one but you might check with the Marine Department nearby the Bali Hai pier, they speak some English or check with a speed boat dealer. I've heard if you already have one from your home country you can convert to Thai but I could be wrong.

yes you do the test at the car testing center but you must pretend you are in a boat

it's possible :o