Rugby World Cup 2007

Can anyone explain why New Zealand and Australia have got 5 points for their wins but Argentina and England only got 4 points? :o

The winning team gets a bonus point for scoring more than four tries in the game, also, if the losing teams margin is seven points or less, they get one point.

actually, I think its any team that scores 4 tries in a game gets the bonus

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonights predictions

Wales v Canada Boyos by 32

South Africa v Samoa Boks by 28

Scotland v Portugal Jocks by 60

Ireland v Namibia Paddys by 42

SA V Samoa to be the game of the night

some of tonights games scorelines could be big..... but who knows??

Wales by 20

Boks by 45

Scots by 50

Irish by 50

Can anyone explain why New Zealand and Australia have got 5 points for their wins but Argentina and England only got 4 points? :o

The winning team gets a bonus point for scoring more than four tries in the game, also, if the losing teams margin is seven points or less, they get one point.

actually, I think its any team that scores 4 tries in a game gets the bonus

u r correct....and your predictions right on the money so far (although i didn't see a pumas/Le Coq prediction).....early days, I'm hoping it'll be Oz cup number 3, but obviously have to get thru the AB's...also SA a bit unknown as they held back so many payers throughout the tri nations........go the wallabies :D

why Wales should fear Australia next weekend in the RWC :D

geez Donny, I think Sterling is checking YOU out....it is sheep country in the ACT, so he's probably got a sniff :o

:D no way, dont lower my standards to that level

Wales 42 Canada 17

Good game. Great performance by the Canadians but superior fitness showed in the end.

fitness? a few huge (fat) Welshmen sucking in big ones coming off the field towards the end.

solid performance thou. :o

sorry MB, stuck @ home today, so cant make it,

Boks vs Samoa on now, this will be a cracker!

Wales 42 Canada 17

Good game. Great performance by the Canadians but superior fitness showed in the end.

fitness? a few huge (fat) Welshmen sucking in big ones coming off the field towards the end.

solid performance thou. :o

sorry MB, stuck @ home today, so cant make it,

Boks vs Samoa on now, this will be a cracker!

half time 21-7 to the Boks,

cracking game, with excellent tries scored. One from Samoa that split the Boks midfield defence.

Habana scored a brilliant try jinking his way past some ordinary defense and a good try from Monty on halftime.

but the tackles made and running with the ball has been huge.

look out England, Samoa is gunning for your Quarter finals spot. :D

South Africa 59 Samoa 7

South Africa looked very good. I thought they were overrated before the tournament began but might have to revise that after that performance.

Samoa very competitive early on and I couldn't see anything wrong with their disallowed try. The lack of replays on that decision very poor by the TV editors. After that the wind seemed to go out of their sails a bit and in the end they looked dead on their feet. A kick off where the ball only goes a meter forward is a bit of a rarity. :o

South Africa 59 Samoa 7

South Africa looked very good. I thought they were overrated before the tournament began but might have to revise that after that performance.

Samoa very competitive early on and I couldn't see anything wrong with their disallowed try. The lack of replays on that decision very poor by the TV editors. After that the wind seemed to go out of their sails a bit and in the end they looked dead on their feet. A kick off where the ball only goes a meter forward is a bit of a rarity. :o

The Boks have been one of my top 3 for this tourny due to their physical presence and skill factor, they seem to be pretty fit around the park as well. Percys kicking game a bit off thou.

Samoa played bloody well for most of the game, but lack of fitness told torwards the end.

Its amazing that a small country like Samoa can compete in the RWC at all, due to it finances, or lack of, compared to the likes of SA or NZ. That goes for all the island nations.

yeah, the kick off by Samoa was usual. Reasoning, probably to catch the Boks unaware and maybe due to the fact that Samoa cant compete in the air as well as SA. The Boks won most of the lineouts.

Scotland 56 Portugal 10

didnt see most of the game but what I saw, I thought Portugal competed well.

Scotland will have a game on its hands when it meets Italy thou, and perhaps against NZ :D

right time to watch the Ireland vs Namibia game hopefully a try fest :o

Its amazing that a small country like Samoa can compete in the RWC at all, due to it finances, or lack of, compared to the likes of SA or NZ. That goes for all the island nations.

And the All Blacks stealing all their most talented players

Edited by miltonbentley

Ireland 32 Namibia 17

Ireland were awful. Probably even worse than England and that is a damning indictment indeed. :o

Well played Namibia, lots of spirit, performed out of their skins.

Delighted to see the minnows perform so creditably on the opening weekend. It's great for rugby. Every team bar Japan has scored at least one try and all the smaller nations have raised their games for the big stage.

I think this tournament is going to be a cracker

Irish Rugby peaked at around the time Munster won the Heineken cup. Nothing lasts for ever.

This Tournament is bizzare in terms of the mix of teams - professional/amateur, Brilliant teams / crap teams. And we've seen so many un expected results so far. Looking forward to seeing NZ win.

Joe; Ireland

I thought SA were very good for the win & had deflated the Samoans towards the end, also the boys in blue ran out of steam well before the end. Interesting to see the Boks woundup so easy! I think the bigger teams could exploit this to bring them down.

This Tournament is bizzare in terms of the mix of teams - professional/amateur, Brilliant teams / crap teams. And we've seen so many un expected results

It's been a great first weekend. I have watched every game and think it has been the best in overall quality so far with minnows giving the bigger boys a good workout. The smaller teams have by and large played with great pride and commitment and it gives me hope that rugby can expand and grow as a world sport.

Big trouble fro Europe though the main 6 teams have all fared quite badly which is a worrying sign for the NH game. Early days but after watching the top teams play I have revised my list standings list

New Zealand - hate to say this Donny but absolutely outstanding. Annihilated Italy, looked sharp with a total killer instinct. Should win the Cup but the chokers tag weighs heavy and some of the other teams are also looking good.

South Africa - I labelled them overrated and I was so wrong. Looked very good against Samoa. Feisty and fiery forwards, slick backs and in Brian Habana have maybe the star of the tournament.

Argentina - Unsure of whether to put them at 3 or 4 but after their performance against France deserve the recognition. Should nw finish top of the group hich likely will lead to a QF against Scotland which should see them make the semi. That is a huge achievement and once England are eliminated will be getting my support.

Australia - difficult to judge but the destroyed Japan in a thoroughly professional display. Will always be hard to beat.

France - Despite losing the opener I still feel they have something to offer. Could be a vicious backlash against Namibia next Sunday. I fancy them to beat Ireland setting up a mouthwatering QF against the All Blacks. That's a game that will make you sweat Donny

Scotland - Scottish rugby has been in disarray for years but they had a good build up ad they put away their minnow opponents Portugal with an ease that England, Ireland and Wales couldn't manage. They will be up for the QF battle with Argentina.

Wales - Canada gave them a good run for their money for much of the game but after some strategic player changes they coasted it in the end. The key for Wales will be to try to beat Oz (which they could do on a good day) to top the group and try to get England (or Samoa :D r) in the quarters. If they finish second and face the Boks I don't think they have a prayer.

Samoa - Could they beat England as Donny has been cheekily suggesting? Well embarrassingly, yes it is a possibility :o:D

England - Disgracefully inept in the opener. Brian Ashtom should be kicking some ar__se in a big way. The fans have the right to expect a better defence of our Champions crown.

Ireland - I have a strong affinity for Irsh rugby and would love them to do well but yesterday against Namibia was on the extreme side of woeful. I cannot understand why the management did not take Hickie off after he was knocked senseless by that massive hit. He looked completely bewildered after that. Irish fans must be asking why iconic players of the calibre of O'Driscoll and O'Connell showed such a lack of leadership skills. They need as big a kick as England.

I will be skipping a couple of the late mid week games but the results should either not be in doubt or will have no bearing on the outcome of the group stages.

Next big one England v South Africa on Friday night/Saturday morning. Lord have mercy and hope that England turn up.

From the Tuskers Blog

Edited by miltonbentley

do you guys want me to close this thread and/or split it and re-name it, the title is a bit out dated now.

not till we win this darn cup! :D

oh can I say darn? :o

I can see the replies now, " what so this thread stays open till 2011"

otherwise leave it till end of oct 2007 please :D

Im very pleased that this thread has gained legs as it was abit boring replying to ones self during the months prior to the RWC :D

perhaps you could rename it "Rugby World Cup 2007" and drop the "starts Sept 8th (thai time) "

cheers :D

This Tournament is bizzare in terms of the mix of teams - professional/amateur, Brilliant teams / crap teams. And we've seen so many un expected results

It's been a great first weekend. I have watched every game and think it has been the best in overall quality so far with minnows giving the bigger boys a good workout. The smaller teams have by and large played with great pride and commitment and it gives me hope that rugby can expand and grow as a world sport.

Big trouble fro Europe though the main 6 teams have all fared quite badly which is a worrying sign for the NH game. Early days but after watching the top teams play I have revised my list standings list

New Zealand - hate to say this Donny but absolutely outstanding. Annihilated Italy, looked sharp with a total killer instinct. Should win the Cup but the chokers tag weighs heavy and some of the other teams are also looking good.

South Africa - I labelled them overrated and I was so wrong. Looked very good against Samoa. Feisty and fiery forwards, slick backs and in Brian Habana have maybe the star of the tournament.

Argentina - Unsure of whether to put them at 3 or 4 but after their performance against France deserve the recognition. Should nw finish top of the group hich likely will lead to a QF against Scotland which should see them make the semi. That is a huge achievement and once England are eliminated will be getting my support.

Australia - difficult to judge but the destroyed Japan in a thoroughly professional display. Will always be hard to beat.

France - Despite losing the opener I still feel they have something to offer. Could be a vicious backlash against Namibia next Sunday. I fancy them to beat Ireland setting up a mouthwatering QF against the All Blacks. That's a game that will make you sweat Donny

Scotland - Scottish rugby has been in disarray for years but they had a good build up ad they put away their minnow opponents Portugal with an ease that England, Ireland and Wales couldn't manage. They will be up for the QF battle with Argentina.

Wales - Canada gave them a good run for their money for much of the game but after some strategic player changes they coasted it in the end. The key for Wales will be to try to beat Oz (which they could do on a good day) to top the group and try to get England (or Samoa :D r) in the quarters. If they finish second and face the Boks I don't think they have a prayer.

Samoa - Could they beat England as Donny has been cheekily suggesting? Well embarrassingly, yes it is a possibility :D:bah:

England - Disgracefully inept in the opener. Brian Ashtom should be kicking some ar__se in a big way. The fans have the right to expect a better defence of our Champions crown.

Ireland - I have a strong affinity for Irsh rugby and would love them to do well but yesterday against Namibia was on the extreme side of woeful. I cannot understand why the management did not take Hickie off after he was knocked senseless by that massive hit. He looked completely bewildered after that. Irish fans must be asking why iconic players of the calibre of O'Driscoll and O'Connell showed such a lack of leadership skills. They need as big a kick as England.

I will be skipping a couple of the late mid week games but the results should either not be in doubt or will have no bearing on the outcome of the group stages.

Next big one England v South Africa on Friday night/Saturday morning. Lord have mercy and hope that England turn up.

From the Tuskers Blog

A great summary MB.

agree on most points actually. :o

Wales, hopefully will be a force to be reckoned with against the Wallabies in a home game this weekend. But if the field is dry and fast, expect the Wallabies to hand out a rugby lesson. Love to see an upset here, as that would put SA vs Aus in the Quarters.

Argentina in my book has surprised me and played well against France. And conversely, that first game was France's worst. The French will come back and regroup, but need to win against Ireland, which will be the decider on who goes thru to the quarters. Unless they all end up on the same amount of wins, ie 3 wins each for Ireland,France and Argentina. Then bonus points will be the key here.

With France, you never know which team comes out to play on the day. But I think they will be outplayed by the All Blacks should they meet in the Quarters. Actually, I wouldnt be surprised if the ABs give France a good hiding if they do meet, as they will come out firing to avoid that same senario back in 1999

Samoa is such a physical team and competed well in the tackle ball, and ball carring areas. They need work on lineouts and scrum, areas where England should dominate.

The small island nation is punching well above its weight and doing themselves proud. Tonga also have some big players (think Jonah Lomu), but not the same skill level.

England- I think I wont add to MB misery.

I agree MB, this weekends big games will be- Eng v SA, theres no where to hide MB- the English fans should be en mass to see this one,should be amost a home game.

I cant see Eng winning Im afraid, as the Boks will be dominant in all aspects of play except field kicking. Percy was a shambles at kicking for touch vs Samoa. Great defense, speedsters out wide, big fast forwards, good skill level, can compete well at the breakdown,the list goes on and on.... could be a big scoreline if its a fast dry track in Paris.

NZ vs Portugal. The mind boggles at what the scoreline would end up as. :D

Another reason why the teams should be culled down to 16, till the rest of the playing nations get up to speed.

MB, great sports lounge upstairs @ Tuskers btw, I was pleasantly surprised. A great set up to watch all the action.

well done :D

post-15912-1189406673.gif

I can see the replies now, " what so this thread stays open till 2011"

So absurdly optimistic Donny :D

yes, the Abs didnt look in form did they playing Italy. One hopes Portugal will have some mercy. :D

in the meantime, heres something to post on your website for the next 4 weeks, till we take the cup back. :o

post-15912-1189407225.gif

Tonight's prediction for Argentina V Georgia - Pumas by 50.

Argentina need to be cool and win the game with a maximum of professionalism and a minimum of fuss. They need the four tries for the bonus point but there is no need to grind Georgia in the dust. There are much bigger fish for the Argentina to fry later in the tournament

Tonight's prediction for Argentina V Georgia - Pumas by 50.

Argentina need to be cool and win the game with a maximum of professionalism and a minimum of fuss. They need the four tries for the bonus point but there is no need to grind Georgia in the dust. There are much bigger fish for the Argentina to fry later in the tournament

MB, that pretty much sums it up. They probably will play most of their 2nd 15 and bench warmers to save them for Namibia. :D

I did mean Ireland. :o