Driving license renewal Pattaya

Stuart

What are the latest requirements to renew a 5 year driving license here in Pattaya?

I know you need a residence form from immigration, what else a medical certificate? Do we need to book an appointment or just show up at 7:30am?

Can we still renew a week or so after our license has expired? Many thanks for any positive info!!

Stuart

Medical cert is required. I recently renewed mine - decided to use an agent to do it. Cost was 3,000 baht including the fee for the renewal itself. Agent sorted out the immigration and medical cert. 

I was renewing my 2 year licence to turn it into a 5 year. Only had to do the visual tests (not watch a video).

From what I know, if you renew a 5 year licence you have to watch the video as well 

45 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

And yes you can renew even after it expires. I think there's a 1 year period where you can renew if it expires without having to start again from scratch 

Many thanks for your help. I have been told they are now insisting you renew prior to expiry. Good to hear otherwise! 

38 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Many thanks for your help. I have been told they are now insisting you renew prior to expiry. Good to hear otherwise! 

You're welcome.

I renewed mine at the end of last month and it had expired in May - there was no problem regards to this. 

5 year to 5 year does not need a medical cert. C of R required.  Best to get an appointment, as those that turn up, Thais get served first, even if you arrived before them. so you can have a very long wait and still not get seen. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

nah... my dl was 3 months overdue due to various <deleted>,

np.

the med cert need to be within a month,

so when i got there to get an appointment it was OK,

but she told me i was going to have to make a new med cert

before the actual appointment because it would then

have expired by 4 days.

the app for appointment dont work for foreigners at least,

so you will first have to go there and get an appointment, and then come back around a month later to get the license.

on both occasions i got it done below 3.5 hours,

which is an improvement.

on a side note, there has been a lot of road

construction so i couldnt find it these days

and paid 1k for someone to drive me there, wait,

and drive me back to south pattaya.

later on i figured i probably paid too much,

given that its 1k to bkk,

so how much would an appropriate pay be for someone taking me there and back in 4 hours ?

Edited by scammed

I made my licenses almost 20 years ago in Pattaya, and there's not much online to find out what's needed.

I was on a tourist visa, lived at a hotel, and sent to immigration who used my hotel address as my permanent address. 

A 500 baht bill did the trick. I wasn't even aware that it wasn't kosher....

The hotel address is still in my license. Lol