Where To Live In Bangkok?

Tornado

Im in need of an apartment to rent in Bangkok. What are good areas and what are the average prices of those areas?

My wishlist would be:

close to skytrain, only 15 - 20 minutes by skytrain to Asoke/Emporium, fast internet, fully furnished, close to market/shopping etc. The usual farang requests.

What would I get for 10k per month?

what would I get for 20k per month?

Im not living there full time, probably just a handfull of nights per month.

Thanks to the Bangkokians for any info.

in 2002 i used to live in Thong Lor tower (suk 55, soi 18) 5 mins on motorbike taxi to sky train, and only 1 stop to the emporium tower, back then a fully furnished 2 bedroom condo was 10k per month, i believe the same ones now go for 15k a month.

Im not living there full time, probably just a handfull of nights per month.

Thanks to the Bangkokians for any info.

If nobody else ain't living there full time either wouldn't you be better off with a hotel?

Check the area around Petchburi soi 5 and 7. Lots of apartments but often few vacancies.

I lived on soi 5 for a year. 7 minute walk to Phaya Thai BTS (almost 1/2 the walk covered, makes a difference in the rain, through the parking lot of the big building there). Ratchetewi station is just as close but harder to get to by crossing the street. 1.2 km to Pantip. No more than 60 baht taxi home from most places, at night, when there's no traffic.

5000/month. I think they charge 6000 now. All the apartments in the neighbourhood were similar in price, but varied in quality. Mine had key card acess, elevator, phone, USB internet (fee), and A/C.

3 24 hour convenience stores on Soi 5, 4 24 hour internet places, and food stands and restaurants opening and closing covering all hours. Local Thai food, Local Thai prices. Soi 5 was normal Thai food, Soi 7 muslim food.

Loved it.

Edited by misterme

Sukhumvit Soi 75/1 has fully furnished apartments except for TV which is extra or buy your own. All come with refrig, sink and cabinets but no cook top. The building is less than 3 years old and currently has swimming pool under construction or maybe even finished by now. They offer maid service for an extra fee depending on how often you wish apartment cleaned. The internet is broadband but speed is limited to about 60KB on downloads. You can buy different prepaid internet cards for certain number of hours(700 baht gets you 85 hours). Its a five minute walk to the On Nut BTS or you can use the apartment shuttle that runs twice in the morning, noon and evening. You have a Lotus at the On Nut BTS stop and a Carrefour almost across the street on On Nut road.

around 9000 gets you 40 sq meter single room.

around 14000 gets you 50 sq meter one bedroom.

around 18000 gets you 60 sq meter two bedroom.

Sukhumvit Soi 75/1 has fully furnished apartments except for TV which is extra or buy your own. All come with refrig, sink and cabinets but no cook top. The building is less than 3 years old and currently has swimming pool under construction or maybe even finished by now. They offer maid service for an extra fee depending on how often you wish apartment cleaned. The internet is broadband but speed is limited to about 60KB on downloads. You can buy different prepaid internet cards for certain number of hours(700 baht gets you 85 hours). Its a five minute walk to the On Nut BTS or you can use the apartment shuttle that runs twice in the morning, noon and evening. You have a Lotus at the On Nut BTS stop and a Carrefour almost across the street on On Nut road.

around 9000 gets you 40 sq meter single room.

around 14000 gets you 50 sq meter one bedroom.

around 18000 gets you 60 sq meter two bedroom.

Ball, do you live in Baan Saran Nuch? If so, same place as me!

To the original poster, would recommend this place

I was gonna live there as well. It was a toss up between there and the place I eventually chose in Prakanong.

Baan Saran Nuch is really nice and great value for money. (No pool tho).

I was gonna live there as well. It was a toss up between there and the place I eventually chose in Prakanong.

Baan Saran Nuch is really nice and great value for money. (No pool tho).

Pool should almost be complete if not finished already.

cheers for that info. Sukhumvit Soi 75 sounds interesting, except for not being able to cook. I like whipping up my own food.

How far to asoke is it? how many mins walk or by taxi?

does anybody know a good place near asoke or anywhere off sukhumvit close to the emporium, that would be good to stay for a week or month till I find something more permanent? I realise there are plenty of hotels and I like rembrant towers, but dont want to pay 4k a night for a long term rent/week or month. looking for something nice and handy to above.

cheers for any info.

cheers for that info. Sukhumvit Soi 75 sounds interesting, except for not being able to cook. I like whipping up my own food.

does anybody know a good place near asoke or anywhere off sukhumvit close to the emporium, that would be good to stay for a week or month till I find something more permanent? I realise there are plenty of hotels and I like rembrant towers, but dont want to pay 4k a night for a long term rent/week or month. looking for something nice and handy to above.

cheers for any info.

You can always buy a one or two element portable electric cook top.

I wouldn't want to walk to Asoke and taxi is slow depending on traffic. Best to take 10 minuite skytrain trip from On Nut BTS station which is a 5 minute walk from apartment.

About 4km from Emporium. Not a walking distance. Phrom Phong (Emporium) is the 4th SkyTrain stop from On Nut.

cheers for any info.

You can always buy a one or two element portable electric cook top.

I wouldn't want to walk to Asoke and taxi is slow depending on traffic. Best to take 10 minuite skytrain trip from On Nut BTS station which is a 5 minute walk from apartment.

Cheers, your right about the cooking situation, I suppose I could do that. Not ideal though as roasts dont come out that well. :o

Again cheers for the info.

About 4km from Emporium. Not a walking distance. Phrom Phong (Emporium) is the 4th SkyTrain stop from On Nut.

So late night taxi from the emporium is about 10 minutes? say 1 am or 2 am?

Looking for something a little closer and few more extras, like adsl and cooking facilitys. I might have to up my budget I think.

Any info appreciated.

So late night taxi from the emporium is about 10 minutes? say 1 am or 2 am?

Looking for something a little closer and few more extras, like adsl and cooking facilitys. I might have to up my budget I think.

Any info appreciated.

You might get ADSL but if cooking facilities (kitchen) are not there - you may buy whatever you want and still wash the dishes in the bathroom.

Google for "KTA Mansion Soi Barbos 2". Rooms (44 sqm) with no kitchen, start from 7000B. Walking distance to Ekamai BTS, Soi Sukhumvit 42.

OP, have a look at Boss Tower. It's on Rama IV between the ends of Sukhumvit sois 26 and 36. You can take a quick 15 baht moto up soi 26 to Phrom Pong or 10 baht up soi 36 to Thonglor. Or a 35 baht taxi ride. The building has great security, lots of inhouse facilities, cable TV, in-room ADSL (up to 2000 baht a month extra) and a big beautiful pool. Studios are 13,000 to 17,000 serviced. I had a one-bedroom for 25,000 with a kitchen. Carrefour Superstore and Tesco are both about 10 minutes walk away. There's a soi with great street food 5 min. away. It's a really good building.

OP, have a look at Boss Tower. It's on Rama IV between the ends of Sukhumvit sois 26 and 36. You can take a quick 15 baht moto up soi 26 to Phrom Pong or 10 baht up soi 36 to Thonglor. Or a 35 baht taxi ride.

For that kind of money, it's not a great location. In spite of being on Rama 4, heavy traffic 24x7, it's far from everything. Lotus/Carefour could be said to be walking distance, if that is one's purpose of moving to Bangkok.

For anything else, if you are reduced to motosai taxi, it could be better location than that.

Also, to defuse the traffic noise, you have to live on top floors where the prices are 20K+.

And whats the attraction of being near Asoke or Emporium? Find anywhere along the BTS route can save you 50% rent. All people need to do is find the right website & would be no need for the same questions to come up.

I live @ Victory Monument but I don't rent. Here @ Soi Wattana Yothin (off Soi Rang Nam & Opp King Power Duty Free) the area has rates in all ranges. BTS is 3 min walk which is right next to Century Movie Plaza that has everything. Internet cafe's a plenty start 15bht (10bht night rate) > 30 bht an hr. Peace Park is only a couple of streets up Soi Rang Nam for a place to relax or jogging around the park. It's also not at sleezy as Suhkumvit.

The longer you stay the cheaper the rate you can get for yearly.

Look Here

This place is not so close to BTS but it's worth a look cause it is priced right. Next alley up from Indra Hotel Rajaprarop rd. This place will be well positioned because there building a new Train Terminal at Makkasan next to their hotel, so trains to the airport will be dead easy. I lived there for more than 12 Months before buying.

PR Place

you the man lindsay.

most apts say i pay water and electric. do i have to go to water and elec company to set up account or is it metered by apartment manager and i pay him?

Pay to Management. Unless you own.

Always know where the meters are to check them.

Also be aware that older air conditioners use more power so be power wise the first month

to know what it's power consumption is.

Checkout each listing will say rates of additional charges eg. THANATAWEE PLACE =

Electricity = 6 baht / unit > I own so my rate is about 3bht = my average is 2000/month (pay to 7-Eleven)

Water Supply = 19 baht / unit > Water I pay to management 15bht per Unit = my average is 240bht/month.

PR place is nice. Nice big rooms, very clean and I like the greenery in the hallway. Didnt like the 100baht water surcharge though. (I stayed down the rd at Stella House)

There are alot of affordable apartments in the Makkasan area, clean, a/c and security.

Also recommend the Soi Rangnam area, nice street with alot of little restaurants and pubs, theres a nice park and you can get a room with a/c for 4500baht a month.

PR place is nice. Nice big rooms, very clean and I like the greenery in the hallway. Didnt like the 100baht water surcharge though. (I stayed down the rd at Stella House)

There are alot of affordable apartments in the Makkasan area, clean, a/c and security.

Also recommend the Soi Rangnam area, nice street with alot of little restaurants and pubs, theres a nice park and you can get a room with a/c for 4500baht a month.

ill second that

i just moved out of bangkok

i had a place off of rangnam, nice area, affordable

there are lots around, a walk down the street and down some sois would yield many options

but im posting because i have a request myself:

i'd like to get a place very near the On Nut BTS station

max i want to spend is 8,000b / month but i could be flexible for something special

i want to be there for 3 months

anyone have a recommendation?

Check the area around Petchburi soi 5 and 7. Lots of apartments but often few vacancies.

I lived on soi 5 for a year. 7 minute walk to Phaya Thai BTS (almost 1/2 the walk covered, makes a difference in the rain, through the parking lot of the big building there). Ratchetewi station is just as close but harder to get to by crossing the street. 1.2 km to Pantip. No more than 60 baht taxi home from most places, at night, when there's no traffic.

5000/month. I think they charge 6000 now. All the apartments in the neighbourhood were similar in price, but varied in quality. Mine had key card acess, elevator, phone, USB internet (fee), and A/C.

3 24 hour convenience stores on Soi 5, 4 24 hour internet places, and food stands and restaurants opening and closing covering all hours. Local Thai food, Local Thai prices. Soi 5 was normal Thai food, Soi 7 muslim food.

Loved it.

That sounds great.

How much of a challenge would it be to get from there to Soi Thonglor 13?

I am moving to BKK for 6 - 12 months from the beginning of June.

If I can get away with 6,000 THB per month for a place not far from work i'd have it made!

And whats the attraction of being near Asoke or Emporium? Find anywhere along the BTS route can save you 50% rent. All people need to do is find the right website & would be no need for the same questions to come up.

I live @ Victory Monument but I don't rent. Here @ Soi Wattana Yothin (off Soi Rang Nam & Opp King Power Duty Free) the area has rates in all ranges. BTS is 3 min walk which is right next to Century Movie Plaza that has everything. Internet cafe's a plenty start 15bht (10bht night rate) > 30 bht an hr. Peace Park is only a couple of streets up Soi Rang Nam for a place to relax or jogging around the park. It's also not at sleezy as Suhkumvit.

The longer you stay the cheaper the rate you can get for yearly.

Look Here

This place is not so close to BTS but it's worth a look cause it is priced right. Next alley up from Indra Hotel Rajaprarop rd. This place will be well positioned because there building a new Train Terminal at Makkasan next to their hotel, so trains to the airport will be dead easy. I lived there for more than 12 Months before buying.

PR Place

PR place is cheap but looks kinda flea bagish

• 2 weeks later...

do all these apts come with ubc included?

i need an apt where i can get a utility bill in my name , so i can prove that i actually live in thailand.

it seems everywhere i go you pay extras to the manager.

if anyone needs a sponsor to help with a utility bill ,ubc or internet , let me know. i just need to get my name on a bill.

it would help if you have an epassporte account where payment can be sent.

Edited by blizzard