Two Questions

meme

I need to book a tour for the 17 people coming here for my wedding in July...So many out there any suggestions? I am thinking of a temple tour and floating market, they also want to see Jim Thompson's house.

Also What are some great hotels in Bangkok. I have a couple in their late 60s who will be spending 2 days in Bangkok. They are really well travelled, but have never been to the kok. Money is not a main concern, they just want a great place. This is for their way out of Thailand so the only thing on their list is to do chatuchak.

:o

"to the kok"

Are you one of those hip and happening (and incredibly annoying) people that refer to San Francisco as "frisco"?

How long have you been in Thailand? Long enough to find a wife...but not long enough to know the culture. I'd forego the floating market, and go for a cruise along the river. You're allowed to get off at any "stop", tour the neighborhood, and then rejoin the cruise. Depending upon the prevailing attitude, I'd take them to something not usually seen in Newton, Iowa, perhaps a cabaret show. How about grabbing a few tuk tuks, and have them take you on a tour of over priced gem stores. Of course, you'll have the good sense to not buy anything.

"to the kok"

Are you one of those hip and happening (and incredibly annoying) people that refer to San Francisco as "frisco"?

How long have you been in Thailand? Long enough to find a wife...but not long enough to know the culture. I'd forego the floating market, and go for a cruise along the river. You're allowed to get off at any "stop", tour the neighborhood, and then rejoin the cruise. Depending upon the prevailing attitude, I'd take them to something not usually seen in Newton, Iowa, perhaps a cabaret show. How about grabbing a few tuk tuks, and have them take you on a tour of over priced gem stores. Of course, you'll have the good sense to not buy anything.

God, dealing with some inner demons and don't know where to direct your anger hey?! or are you just another bitter farang?! First of all I am a woman with a husband! Second of all I have been in Thailand for 4 years but have never been a tourist in Bangkok which is why I posted the questions. Sorry I offened you but lighten up! What would you prefer Bangkok, BKK??!! Why don't I edit it for you seeing as you are so overly sensitive! Please refrain from giving me anymore of your great advise that I don't WANT IT! Go back to your self loathing, and have another one!....

Hey,

That tour to Ko Kret is a great time. Cruise around Bangkok on a big tour boat. Then stop at a few sights, and shopping on Ko Kret. Great food and and the best prices on handcrafts in the whole city. The tour is very informative and fun. Best time to go is on Sunday, they have a special deal.

Chung *j*

Hey,

That tour to Ko Kret is a great time. Cruise around Bangkok on a big tour boat. Then stop at a few sights, and shopping on Ko Kret. Great food and and the best prices on handcrafts in the whole city. The tour is very informative and fun. Best time to go is on Sunday, they have a special deal.

Chung *j*

Thanks very much I will check it out. :o

more than likely if you book a tour, the guides will take you to "gems gallery' ....gems gallery has over 200 minivans they let the tour companies use free of charge, provided they take the tourist to gems gallery....this is a big shop with onsight jewelry makers, there will be a tour of the facility and a brief movie shown.....eventhough this is a tourist trap...there is one good point...........free drinks.....so if you want to stick it back to the tour company....go there ,but dont go on the factory tour.... and lush up at the bar instead......

id recommend a canal trip

the floating market at damoen saduek, takes you on a short trip of the klongs

in bangkok there are 1-2 hour canal trips , where you can board by the palace in the direction of the pier.....900 baht / 400 baht if you tell them you are a guide.....20 baht docking fee at point of return (pay this)

Vimanmaek teak mansion which is included in the admission price for a tour of the grand palace, if the whether doesnt permit and there is also a show here.

or the rose garden in nakon pathom, which will consist of a thai cultural show, thai boxing and elephant show.

for dinner try silom village for another show and set menu.

a typical tour would go like this:

palace>canal> vimanmaek> gems gallery

damnoen saduak floating market will be an all day trip, with an extra stop at a furniture factory for commissions possibly.

more than likely if you book a tour, the guides will take you to "gems gallery' ....gems gallery has over 200 minivans they let the tour companies use free of charge, provided they take the tourist to gems gallery....this is a big shop with onsight jewelry makers, there will be a tour of the facility and a brief movie shown.....eventhough this is a tourist trap...there is one good point...........free drinks.....so if you want to stick it back to the tour company....go there ,but dont go on the factory tour.... and lush up at the bar instead......

id recommend a canal trip

the floating market at damoen saduek, takes you on a short trip of the klongs

in bangkok there are 1-2 hour canal trips , where you can board by the palace in the direction of the pier.....900 baht / 400 baht if you tell them you are a guide.....20 baht docking fee at point of return (pay this)

Vimanmaek teak mansion which is included in the admission price for a tour of the grand palace, if the whether doesnt permit and there is also a show here.

or the rose garden in nakon pathom, which will consist of a thai cultural show, thai boxing and elephant show.

for dinner try silom village for another show and set menu.

a typical tour would go like this:

palace>canal> vimanmaek> gems gallery

damnoen saduak floating market will be an all day trip, with an extra stop at a furniture factory for commissions possibly.

Cheers for that! Lots of good info there. Do you think If I asked the tour companies whether or not they take us places we don't want to go that they would tell the truth?

Isn't the tour of the jewelry and tailor shops all a part of the tourist experience? :o Seriously though...before you go anywhere with anyone, let them know exactly where you want to go or you could end up taking a number of detours. The canal trip was a good time. Make sure to take them to the numerous temples as you mentioned.

I need to book a tour for the 17 people coming here for my wedding in July...So many out there any suggestions? I am thinking of a temple tour and floating market, they also want to see Jim Thompson's house.

Also What are some great hotels in Bangkok. I have a couple in their late 60s who will be spending 2 days in Bangkok. They are really well travelled, but have never been to the kok. Money is not a main concern, they just want a great place. This is for their way out of Thailand so the only thing on their list is to do chatuchak.

:o

Floating market is in Ratchaburi, to get there tour operators pick you up at 4am. Activity of the market is 6-9am, after that not much happening. I would exclude it from any plans.

Boats loaded with daily produce are seen along BKK canals although not in congregations.

What I would do - hire a tour operator and their van, professional tour guide and exclude gem shops, jewelries and other possible offs. A canal tour (excluding snake farm) is a good idea, visit to Jim Thompson's house to concide with lunch (nice open air restaurant there).

Also, I would ensure with the guide that my people are NOT paying anything to anyone, all included, no tips or extra charges, no attempts to sell them anything.

As for great hotels, many have been world's top for years. Shangri La, Sheraton on the river would be my pick. Peninsula - just annoying other side of the river puts it in the third place.

another tour guide trick regarding river boats is.......at the royal palace pier there are air conditioned boats and non air boats for the rivertrips (not canal)

the tour company gives the guide money to pay for the tickets, if you book an air boat make sure you get an air boat....

dont let all this dismay you....the same thing goes on all over the world !

-----------------------------------------

theres also the crocodile farm in samut prakan...this is pretty cool....you can also have dinner next to the water in this area if you specify, but the water isnt t clean though.

there will be a crocodile taming show and if your lucky the guy might get bitten, there also a huge crocodile pit, whereyou can see humongous crocs underneath you and throw them chicken carcasses and watch them fight over them, there are also bengal tigers here you can walk up to and have a picture taken with.

the damnoen saduak/ratchaburi (same) floating market are at intervals, meaning the locals know when the tours are coming and paddle up accordingly...not neccessarily a morning thing.

kanchanaburi death railway tour (river kwai)- i never liked this one, soooooo boring

Edited by Clipped