Blood sugar

Confuscious

I hear often tips from people when discussing how to reduce the blood sugar with natural ingredients.

Tea from plants, roots, etc. which reduces the blood sugar.

Does anyone in this group uses natural stuff to reduce blood sugar and what is your opinion on the use of it?
TIA

37 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I hear often tips from people when discussing how to reduce the blood sugar with natural ingredients.

Tea from plants, roots, etc. which reduces the blood sugar.

Does anyone in this group uses natural stuff to reduce blood sugar and what is your opinion on the use of it?
TIA

I have switched to using Xylitol to reduce my sugar/calorie intake and to help ward off poss bacteria in the bladder (has the same effect that cranberry juice has).

Xylitol is five percent less sweet than sugar, but it has 40 percent fewer calories (9 calories versus sugar's 16) and a low glycemic index. It can be made from many different things, but it's primarily extracted from corncobs and hardwoods.

26 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Just found out my (fasting) blood sugar level is 114.  Pre-diabetic?  Doctor recommended more exercise and better diet.  No meds.

Same for me but only 102. Same suggestions from the Doctor and, believe it or not, said cut down on the ale!

The range is 70 - 100.

34 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Just found out my (fasting) blood sugar level is 114.  Pre-diabetic?  Doctor recommended more exercise and better diet.  No meds.

My fasting level has been between 99 and 104 for the past 5 or so years. No idea before that. I am already very active as I row an average of 5 kms a day and that has had no impact on blood sugar levels. I have reduced my carb intake too, but again, no difference. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, that is considered "pre diabetic". Meds are not indicated for this, just lifestyle measures e.g. weight loss if overweight, more exercise and avoid processed carbs.

"Pre diabetic" is a comparatively new category and basically used to flag the need to take preventive measures to avoid developing type II diabetes in future.

Are pasta and noodles defined as a processed carb?

My HBA1C ( IFCC ) is 41 H mmol/mol against the 25 - 38 range.

Guess that means I am pre-diabetic.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:23 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Diet and exercise is about it. Reduce the sugar. I've read that eating lots of fibre with means helps reduce sugar spikes in thosre with diabetwe. My hba1c was 5.3 last time I checked (ok) and fasting blood glucose is generally 100-105. 

• Like 2