France posts record 60,486 new coronavirus cases

rooster59

France posts record 60,486 new coronavirus cases

2020-11-06T183907Z_2_LYNXMPEGA51L6_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-FRANCE-HOSPITAL.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Nurses wearing protective masks and suits work in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) where patients suffering from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) are treated at Victor Provo hospital in Roubaix, France, November 6, 2020. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - France registered a record 60,486 new confirmed coronavirus cases on Friday, after posting a record 58,046 on Thursday, health ministry data showed.

The new cases took the total number of confirmed cases to 1.66 million, close behind Russia, which, with 1.73 million cases has the world's fourth-largest number after the U.S., India and Brazil.

The ministry also reported 828 new deaths from coronavirus, including 398 deaths in hospitals over the past 24 hours, and 430 deaths in retirement homes over three days. On Thursday, the ministry reported 363 deaths in hospitals.

The seven-day moving average of the combined death toll rose by 40 to 471, compared to a high of 975 on April 9. The highest number of COVID-19 deaths reported in one day in France was 1,438 on April 15.

A week after the government imposed a new nationwide lockdown, the number of people in hospital with the virus rose by 553 to 28,979, the smallest one-day increase in nearly three weeks.

The number of people in intensive care with COVID-19 rose by 101 to 4,331, the smallest increase in six days.

(Reporting by Geert De Clercq; Editing by Chris Reese, Kirsten Donovan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-07

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, loong said:

That is terrible. New cases nearly 0.2% of the population in 2 days!

And 0.00005% of the population in intensive care... terrible indeed... but even more terrible will be to survive a devastated economy... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2020 at 4:14 PM, Tug said:

You are in my heart and prayers France hopefully your population is more sensible than ours here in the USA and you snuff it out 

Yes, heart felt feeling to the people of France. I might point out that how the USA is handling is strictly dependent upon the State. Here in Oregon, close monitoring and tight controls imposed.  I am glad to see no one bashing them... if this would have been about the US kick’em while there’re down I fear would have been the response... even though France’s numbers are many times that of the US per capita. I hope that our global science community can get a handle on this pandemic, because IMO governments are not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fact is that governments in cooler countries are facing criticisms all over the world for their handling of covid. For what it's worth I think the lockdowns are a disaster from which future generations will suffer for many years.