Airport-link System 60% Completed

Zoowatch, thanks for another great detailed response. I'm quite pleased with the proposed plan as outlined in your posts. Certainly the wait-and-see approach with the flexibility to update the plan based on ridership seems to be a solid one based on what you've posted.

One further comment about the express trains - if they didn't have them, there'd be lots and lots of people moaning about why there aren't any trains designed for people with lots of bags. But once the system comes online I don't see them getting much actual use, not even from the people who'd be complaining if they weren't there. So I guess they're a necessity, and so it doesn't really matter I guess what they charge. I doubt I'll ever ride the express train.

I am very pleased about the regular service, especially it's price, and hope to be able to use the train at least occasionally, and perhaps more should the hours be extended. There won't be a big savings over taking a taxi, especially being on most of my trips my wife either accompanies me, or at least greets me or sees me off at the airport. And I don't think it will in general save me any time, and in fact will likely take a bit more time. But to get a big savings over a taxi isn't what's so important to me as is the principle of them charging a fair and decent price. 35 Baht is a very fair price and I would be happy to give them business at that price. And unless I'm in a hurry I don't mind if it takes me an extra 10 or 15 minutes compared to taking a taxi because I'm one who prefers to take mass transit if that option is cheap, convenient, comfortable and safe. I think it is much better for the natural environment (less car/taxi exhaust) and for the urban environment (less cars/traffic on the roads), so don't mind a little extra time in order to gain those advantages.

Bottom line is I'm very pleased with the proposal for the airport rail link and the mass transit system in Bangkok in general and hope for the best that they can really implement it as planned. Thanks again for all the information.

the tracks and the signalling systems are installed by B Grimm / STECON and Siemens respectively.

Incorrect.

The tracks are being built by a chinese subcontractor.

As for the track components used, you don;t want to know...

the tracks and the signalling systems are installed by B Grimm / STECON and Siemens respectively.

Incorrect.

The tracks are being built by a chinese subcontractor.

As for the track components used, you don;t want to know...

i was not wrong to say that the track works will be installed by the B Grimm / STECON / Siemens joint venture.

at least from the official point of view, it is assumed to be the case.

i do not know about the job being subcontracted to a chinese company

but whatever happens, the B Grimm / STECON joint-venture is responsible for ensuring that the worksmanship and materials used are as good as those specified in the contract.

as for the components used... are u hinting that it is made of poor quality materials? if yes, please let me know and also the sources of your information (if possible).

also, please let us know if the chinese company mentioned would have the capacity and expertise to do a decent job.

u seem to have a lot of insider info, why not share some with us instead of asking a question that you already know the answer to it?

thanks.

Edited by Zoowatch

This is what they should have built.....the Maggi in Shanghai.

Had a go on it last year ...435 kms /hr...not bad .

Was reading the other day that "they" are talking about building a new one to connect the citys of Glasgow and Edinburgh.... in Scotland........gone jimmiiiiiii... :o..

maybe there is a good reason for it, but why is all built on the sytrain like towers? SRT seems to have alot of graded land on the ground, why didn't they just build the tracks there, with proper bridges and tunnes where needed? Maybe the towers were needed in the CBD, but once out towards Rama 9, there wouldn't be much need for them?

Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe this was covered, but I missed it, but will it be possible to take the express train non-stop from the airport to Makkasan and then (easily) transfer to the local train into PhayaThai? Or, do they use widely separated/inconvenient platforms at Makkasan terminal?

In case of Flooding :D

the flood of complaints from officials who wouldn't get a nice back hander if it was just a lil'old surface rail line vs a multi gazillion dollar over head, you beaut, sky train thingamijig?

:o

the main reason the ARL is almost entirely elevated is that it is only feasible to built a ground level track over a short section between Th. Rom Klao and Th. Si Nakharin.

the other sections need to be elevated (or built underground) because of the many roads and sois that the line intersects.

building new flyovers and underpasses for road traffic is not an option as this will worsen the traffic esp. along Th. Asok-Din Daeng, Th. Ratchaprarop, Th. Phetchaburi, Th. Si Nakharin, Th. Ramkhamhaeng and Th. Phaya Thai.

from the civil engineering point of view, the points where the ARL cuts with these major roads are also too close to major traffic intersections such as the Asok-Phetchaburi, Phatthanakan, Makkasan, Phaya Thai and Ratchaprarop junctions and therefore, it is easier to have an elevated track.

besides, the ground level needs to be reserved for existing state railway infrastructures such as the Hua Mak, Khlong Tan, Ban Thap Chang and Lat Krabang railway stations... and also the the old railway maintenance facilities at Makkasan.

talking about the section between Th. Rom Klao and Th. Si Nakharin which might have been a ground level track... the land along the existing rail line is flanked by small canals and grassy swamps, and to reclaim them mean blockage of waterways and subsidence problems.

besides, it is also a more elegant solution to have the ARL elevated all the way instead of having a line which goes underground at Suvarnabhumi, then elevated at Lat Krabang, then runs at ground level from Th. Rom Klao to Hua Mak, then elevated again to Makkasan.

there might be other reasons too but this is what I can think of at the moment.

Maybe this was covered, but I missed it, but will it be possible to take the express train non-stop from the airport to Makkasan and then (easily) transfer to the local train into PhayaThai? Or, do they use widely separated/inconvenient platforms at Makkasan terminal?

there are 4 'island' plaforms at Makkasan station... 2 for the express service and the other 2 for the commuter train.

the plaforms are on the 4th level and are arranged as such:

1) Express to Airport...island platform A...2) Express from Airport | 3) Commuter to Airport / from Phaya Thai...island platform B...Commuter from Airport / to Phaya Thai

passengers on express service wishing to continue their journeys to Phaya Thai will have to take an escalator down from island platform A to level 3 and and take and the adjacent escalator up to island platform B.

passengers exiting the Makkasan station take another flight of escalator down to level 2 which is the Arrival Hall.

level 3 is the Departure Hall where the check-in facilities are found.

level 1 is reserved for short-term parking.

this picture will illustrate what i mean

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=443707737&size=o