Buying a new water pump

mrmicbkktxl

I want to buy a new water pump but I actually have no idea which brand or models are good. I saw Mitsubishi (AUTOMATIC PUMP MITSUBISHI EP-305 R 300W) at Home Pro 7190bt.

Question is that a good pump?Right now we have a Hitachi P250GX2 and I'm unhappy with it, a lot of problems with air and it's very noisy,also pressure in 1st floor not really strong.Open for suggestions,thanks.

I don't have any suggestions as to brand but I know here in Thailand the norm is automatic pumps without using a pressure tank. They switch on an off continually and ultimately the switch will fail due to constant use even when you simply run thr faucet for 2 seconds. When our pump eventually fails I plan to fit a pressure tank in so that the pump does not continually have to blip on and off with every flush. Just my two cents.

13 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

AUTOMATIC PUMP MITSUBISHI EP-305 R 300W Question is that a good pump?

Go internet and look at reviews I guess.

We've had a Hitachi for 10 years which pumps from a storage tank, we switch it on and off as or when we need it only.

We choose a model that can pump up 2 floors in a house.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Are you sure?

Any "tankless" pumps will be "constant pressure" which means they run untill the flow actually stops no matter how small. A cycling pump like you describe is usually a flooded pressure tank which often sits under the pump itself. What make and model of pump do you have?

Meanwhile @mrmicbkktxl if you need quiet there's only one (not cheap) to look at, Grundfoss. Ours is now pushing 10 years old and has only had one failed capacitor, hard to hear if it's running.

I saw Grundfos 16900bt for a 500w pump.Not sure I need 500w,I thought 300w enough to get decent pressure in 1st floor

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

I don't have any suggestions as to brand but I know here in Thailand the norm is automatic pumps without using a pressure tank. They switch on an off continually and ultimately the switch will fail due to constant use even when you simply run thr faucet for 2 seconds. When our pump eventually fails I plan to fit a pressure tank in so that the pump does not continually have to blip on and off with every flush. Just my two cents.

The Thailand I live in the normal is pressure tank pump - it is only within the last decade or so that constant pressure pumps have begun to be used by more than a small percentage of people.  I much prefer the newer model (10-15 years ago started to have) pressure tank/hi pressure Grundfos units which are both quiet and effective and can provide US standards of water pressure (3-4 bar).  But be sure your home piping can actually accept the higher pressures or be prepared to redo.  These cost a bit more but they last and provide the pressure we want.

Grundfos CMB3-46PT 500w ปั๊มน้ํา เพิ่มแรงดันอัติโนมัติพร้อมถังแรงดัน

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Are you sure?

Any "tankless" pumps will be "constant pressure" which means they run untill the flow actually stops no matter how small. A cycling pump like you describe is usually a flooded pressure tank which often sits under the pump itself. What make and model of pump do you have?

Meanwhile @mrmicbkktxl if you need quiet there's only one (not cheap) to look at, Grundfoss. Ours is now pushing 10 years old and has only had one failed capacitor, hard to hear if it's running.

I'll have to check...new house...no need to poke around until now...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

I want to buy a new water pump but I actually have no idea which brand or models are good. I saw Mitsubishi (AUTOMATIC PUMP MITSUBISHI EP-305 R 300W) at Home Pro 7190bt.

Question is that a good pump?Right now we have a Hitachi P250GX2 and I'm unhappy with it, a lot of problems with air and it's very noisy,also pressure in 1st floor not really strong.Open for suggestions,thanks.

I installed the Mitsu EP305 contsant pressure pump last year at GF's house in Buriram. Fed it off a storage tank and I have to say the pressure was immense. Good things about these pumps are that they are relatively quiet and there is no pulsing of the water flow. First time I installed such and I was highly impressed. Shop around at other "sheds" such as Global Home or Thai Watsadu and you find same item for lower price.

20191126_162025 (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I installed the Mitsu EP305 contsant pressure pump last year at GF's house in Buriram. Fed it off a storage tank and I have to say the pressure was immense. Good things about these pumps are that they are relatively quiet and there is no pulsing of the water flow. First time I installed such and I was highly impressed. Shop around at other "sheds" such as Global Home or Thai Watsadu and you find same item for lower price.

20191126_162025 (1).jpg

Sounds great,thank you very much

If possible check some in operation for noise if in city and will be close to house - we have next door using what seems to be a constant pressure pump and had to brick up adjacent windows to be able to sleep - extremely noisy (and they built a container to try to reduce).  The worse noise seems to be a solenoid trip each time the pump starts.  Believe this was an early model and have no idea what make so can not believe most make that much noise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

The Thailand I live in the normal is pressure tank pump - it is only within the last decade or so that constant pressure pumps have begun to be used by more than a small percentage of people.  I much prefer the newer model (10-15 years ago started to have) pressure tank/hi pressure Grundfos units which are both quiet and effective and can provide US standards of water pressure (3-4 bar).  But be sure your home piping can actually accept the higher pressures or be prepared to redo.  These cost a bit more but they last and provide the pressure we want.

Grundfos CMB3-46PT 500w ปั๊มน้ํา เพิ่มแรงดันอัติโนมัติพร้อมถังแรงดัน

The newer inverter, SCALA 2, is variable between 1.5 bar and 5.5 bar this is user a selection. Also the Grundfos grantee is fantastic.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Right now we have a Hitachi P250GX2

That should be a good pump and plenty enough for 2 floors.  Unless it is just old, you might want to check for other issues with "air and pressure".  Otherwise, if it's mainly the noise, agree that Grundfos is your solution.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crossy said:

Are you sure?

Any "tankless" pumps will be "constant pressure" which means they run untill the flow actually stops no matter how small.

Unfortunately this is not entirely true. They will continue cycling off and on each time the pressure builds until the trickle stops. If you are using a CP pump to fill a roof tank, and are controlling it with a float-valve, once the tank is almost full, the pump will cycle off and on for an hour. 

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

If you are using a CP pump to fill a roof tank, and are controlling it with a float-valve, once the tank is almost full, the pump will cycle off and on for an hour. 

If that is the way your pump is functioning then there is maintenance needed to the system, as it is definitely not functioning as it should.

Probably the rubber seal on the float valve needs cleaning or replacement.

If cleaning or replacing the rubber stop doesn’t fix it then a high/low electrical switch could  be fitted. The constant cycling is not doing your pump any good.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If that is the way your pump is functioning then there is maintenance needed to the system, as it is definitely not functioning as it should.

Probably the rubber seal on the float valve needs cleaning or replacement.

If cleaning or replacing the rubber stop doesn’t fix it then a high/low electrical switch could  be fitted. The constant cycling is not doing your pump any good.

Do you have a CV pump feeding a tank with a float valve?

If the seal on the valve were leaking the pump would not stop cycling after an hour, and the tank would likely overflow, yes? 

You are correct that installing a float switch (rather than a valve) corrects it. 

The OP might consider going in person to the "pump shop" in his province that is the official warranty repair facility for brands such as Grundfos, Mitsubishi Super Pump, Hitachi Pump, ITC pump or Mitsan Pump. HomePro is a great store for curtains and kitchen appliances. The OP may consider what shop in his province has real staff with real knowledge to install and service water pumps. A shop that stocks or will promptly order spare parts. Such shops exist in most provinces in Thailand, not just Buriram. Yes those shops may have a few "product consultants" who might be biased towards a particular water pump brand in Thailand. Homepro | Global House | Thaiwatsadu | Do Home | Mega Home in Thailand all have PC staff for major brands of water pumps and water tanks, not just power tools. Today I saw six plumbers in two trucks head to Maha Sarakham for water pump installations at Tada Homes in Maha Sarakham. 

Buriram Milwaukee Hitachi Mitsubishi Bosch Tools Pumps Mitsan Sale 2020.jpg

Ruangsangthai super pump installation in Nakhon Ratchasima 2020.jpg

Ruangsangthai plumbers installation Nakhon Ratchasima 2020.jpg

Buriram Mitsubishi Super Water Pump Dealer Management.jpg

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

If the seal on the valve were leaking the pump would not stop cycling after an hour, and the tank would likely overflow, yes? 

No. Dirt on the seat or a hardened rubber or both would require a much greater pressure from the float, enough  to seal against the pressure from the pump. As you have demonstrated by the constant cycle of your pump for an hour.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you have a CV pump feeding a tank with a float valve?

My setup took account of the different characteristics of a natural (village) pressure supply (controlled by a ball float valve) and a pumped supply (required when the village supply is low pressure or cut off) and the pump is controlled by a max/min float switch set to cut off at a level where the ball float valve is still open.

Designed this way since a ball float isn’t designed to do the job you are asking it to do. It has the benefit that unless someone tells us that the village water supply is cut we will go about a month without noticing anything different and is totally automatic, no intervention needed.

I am generally lazy so put the work in, in design and construction so I don’t have to monitor things.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kamalabob2 said:

The OP might consider going in person to the "pump shop" in his province that is the official warranty repair facility for brands such as Grundfos, Mitsubishi Super Pump, Hitachi Pump, ITC pump or Mitsan Pump. HomePro is a great store for curtains and kitchen appliances. The OP may consider what shop in his province has real staff with real knowledge to install and service water pumps. A shop that stocks or will promptly order spare parts. Such shops exist in most provinces in Thailand, not just Buriram. Yes those shops may have a few "product consultants" who might be biased towards a particular water pump brand in Thailand. Homepro | Global House | Thaiwatsadu | Do Home | Mega Home in Thailand all have PC staff for major brands of water pumps and water tanks, not just power tools. Today I saw six plumbers in two trucks head to Maha Sarakham for water pump installations at Tada Homes in Maha Sarakham. 

Buriram Milwaukee Hitachi Mitsubishi Bosch Tools Pumps Mitsan Sale 2020.jpg

Ruangsangthai super pump installation in Nakhon Ratchasima 2020.jpg

Ruangsangthai plumbers installation Nakhon Ratchasima 2020.jpg

Buriram Mitsubishi Super Water Pump Dealer Management.jpg

You do realise that the pump is not at fault, don’t you?

My sincere suggestion to the OP is to go to the best "water pump shop" in his province and they can help him repair the pump he owns. He can also see the better brands of water pumps sold and SERVICED in Thailand if he goes to a great water pump shop in his province. I believe many helpful posts to the OP could guide him in a D.I.Y. solution to the problems with the Hitachi pump he outlined. There are a host of things that can foul up a water pump installed in Thailand. Plus no end to unique installations. 

• 2 years later...

Came across this thread a couple of weeks ago, having 'Google'd' Mitsubishi EP-305R Automatic Pump.   Some background.   We've been in this house for 15 years now, and our 'normal' village water supply has been usually fine for day to day purposes.   It's a two storey house, 3 en suite bathrooms upstairs, 1 bathroom downstairs.   There's a solar hot water system on the roof.

For the past 6 months, the village water system pressure and quality has deteriorated quite markedly, and for the past 3 months not enough pressure to supply the upstairs bathrooms, and a very evident lack of filtration.   We'd been put off taking matters into our own hands having been given assurances that the problem was going to be fixed imminently, which of course it hasn't.

So, having decided that the only proper remedy was to install our own water storage and a pump for consistent pressure.   First problem was where to site it.   It's a fairly large house with quite small exterior spaces that are mostly shaded by trees or roofs.   The only logical place was next to a shrine which is off our drive/car port.   A couple of large trees were in the spot, so they obviously had to come out, which was a nightmare in itself.   Once levelled and the concrete layed we were good to go.   

Because it's at the entrance to the house, I didn't want some monstrosity of a tank, so opted for a DOS Water Pac Pro, 1500 litres, with the Mitsubish EP 305 R to give good pressure to the upstairs and solar hot water tank.   Also planned to install a two phase filtration arrangement to remove the sediment and debris issue.

The tank arrived last Sunday, and it was installed yesterday.   Took overnight to fill it once it was the pipework and electricity was plumbed in, so used it for the first time today.   What a difference!   The pump itself it quiet when in use, and every tap or shower is a joy to turn on now.    Over the next few days, I'll be painting the blue pipe a light grey to blend in with the rest of the area.  Here's some photos of the saga for those who may be interested.

20230122_100941.jpeg

20230123_073226.jpeg

20230123_132518.jpeg

20230123_155726.jpeg

20230123_160924.jpeg

20230204_165416.jpeg

20230205_095238.jpeg

20230207_095208.jpeg

20230208_120927.jpeg

20230208_121023.jpeg

20230208_121110.jpeg

20230208_121208.jpeg

20230208_121227.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

Over the next few days, I'll be painting the blue pipe a light grey to blend in with the rest of the area.

Painting the PVC pipe will also help with UV protection as it will degrade and get brittle over time in direct sunlight.

Good to see that you took off all those ugly stickers on the tank. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2023 at 4:27 PM, Encid said:

Painting the PVC pipe will also help with UV protection as it will degrade and get brittle over time in direct sunlight.

Good to see that you took off all those ugly stickers on the tank. :thumbsup:

Finished painting the pipework a few days ago.

20230319_181132.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2020 at 1:55 AM, mrmicbkktxl said:

I saw Mitsubishi (AUTOMATIC PUMP MITSUBISHI EP-305 R 300W) at Home Pro 7190bt.

Bought the 350W version.....plenty powerful.....only problem has been dead ants fouling up the pressure switch once in a blue moon. Just needs the cover removing, a few sharp taps with an OO hammer and sprayed with ant killer/powder....then good to go.