Am I Crazy?

I've been living in Bangkok (Pak Kret actually) since last August. My wife works at an International school. I don't have a degree but I'm currently taking classes for an associates in mechanical engineering. I plan to keep working towards a bachelors, but that is probably 3 or more years off. I'm 46 years old and I have 20 years experience doing highly specialized carpentry and plaster work, but that is totally worthless here. I've been considering taking a TESOL course, and the school I've been looking at is Chichester College near Chatu Chack. This brings me to several questions. Is a TESOL enough without the Bachelors? Is Chichester a good place to get the TESOL? I'm not sure if I'm ready for full time work at a Thai school. Is part time work a possibility? What about tutoring small groups or individuals? Am I crazy?

If you are not sure if you are interested in teaching, why not arrange to shadow one of the ESL teachers at your wife's school for a few days so you can get an idea of what it is like. Most schools are happy to have people come in for work experience. Your age shouldn't be a problem - it's not too late to start something new.

In some cases you don't even need a TESOL to get a job here, but to work legally, you will need a work permit and teachers license. And to get these 99% of the time, you need a bachelors degree in any field and a 120 hour TEFL certificate.

I have just started a bachelors degree so when I return here in the future I can get a work permit and a better job more easily, so, I don't think there is a problem in you up-grading your qualifications to teach here. If you want to teach here legally, then that's what you will need to do anyway, just don't expect to get rich here.

In some cases you don't even need a TESOL to get a job here, but to work legally, you will need a work permit and teachers license. And to get these 99% of the time, you need a bachelors degree in any field and a 120 hour TEFL certificate.

I have just started a bachelors degree so when I return here in the future I can get a work permit and a better job more easily, so, I don't think there is a problem in you up-grading your qualifications to teach here. If you want to teach here legally, then that's what you will need to do anyway, just don't expect to get rich here.

You don't need a teaching degree or TEFL to get a work permit, just a degree.

You don't need a teaching degree or TEFL to get a work permit, just a degree.

Well if you want to break it down further, you don't need anything. I have a TL & WP without a degree and without a 120 Hour TEFL. Maybe I got it due to my good looks or maybe the school paid a bribe, but I did most of the work involved in getting it on my own as much as possible, so I doubt the school got involved behind the scenes to help the process. It will all come down to if the MOE like you or not, if they like you, you will get what you want, if they don't like you and don't want you teaching, you had better have the qualifications and be ready for the long haul..............

To the fusilier: aussiestyle is correct. He's far from the only such example.

If the employing school and the ministry of labour don't care, you don't need nuttin' nowhere. :o Welcome to Thailand, where the rules are not exactly rules.

On the other hand, if they don't want you to have a work permit or teacher's license or visa help, or don't know how to help you, it doesn't matter how well qualified you are; you get nuttin'.

Thanks everyone for the help, but this seems to just keep getting more confusing.

Some say I need the TEFL but not the degree, while others say I need the degree but not the TEFL. And then there are those that say I need both and those that say I need nothing.

I am going to continue working towards the bachelors, but that will take a while.

I am also going to continue living in Thailand whether or not I find work. My wifes job takes care of our housing and visas and pays her enough that it is not necessary for me to earn a high salary. What I'm really interested in knowing is whether or not spending $1400US for a TESOL at Chichester is a good idea, and whether or not that would be enough to get part time work at a local school or some work tutoring small groups. I do not need or want full-time work. I don't need a visa and I don't need a housing allowance. I just need to keep busy and earn enough so that I feel like I'm contributing. Having enough pocket change to afford an occasional foot massage would be nice too.

thanks

Get a TEFL. If you don't, you can't be serious about teaching here. The degree is just a peice of paper mostly based on theory, the TEFL is more of a practical course. You will learn a lot more from the TEFL than from any BA, except for a BEd, which still won't help you with ESL teaching. The TEFL will also make you more employable and open more doors for you. Maybe you should do the TEFL first and try to get a job, that way you could be working while still studying for your bachelors degree, I know people that are doing that here and their school supports them and organises their schedule so they can attend classes at uni during the day if they have to. And, if your degree isn't in English anyway, or maybe Education, most employers will want to see a TEFL...............

What degree are you doing? An associates in engineering won't help you get a WP, you will need to complete the bachelors like you said, but an engineering degree still wont help you get a job, it will help you get a WP because it is a degree and any school that gives you a teaching job because you have an engineering degree just needs someone legale they can employ, thats all. So, get a TEFL..................100%

Edited by aussiestyle1983