Household Effects Shipment

zapatero

Thinking that they may not be readily available in LOS, I went out and bought some aerosol cans of spray lubricant, teflon, silicone, corrosion preventive, etc., that I had already had good experience with, to include with my household effects. Then I got to thinking that maybe the shippers aren't going to be too keen on having these pressurized containers as part of my shipment.

IMHO, these containers should be perfectly safe as they will be going by ground and sea transport, (which is surely how they got here in the first place); and conversely, the lawsuits would surely have already been flying if they weren't designed to be safe under these conditions.

My question then is, has anyone had any experience with including these kinds of things in their HHEs, and if so, were there any consequences or precautions that I should be aware of?

Thank you very much,

~~~zapatero

Thinking that they may not be readily available in LOS, I went out and bought some aerosol cans of spray lubricant, teflon, silicone, corrosion preventive, etc., that I had already had good experience with, to include with my household effects. Then I got to thinking that maybe the shippers aren't going to be too keen on having these pressurized containers as part of my shipment.

IMHO, these containers should be perfectly safe as they will be going by ground and sea transport, (which is surely how they got here in the first place); and conversely, the lawsuits would surely have already been flying if they weren't designed to be safe under these conditions.

My question then is, has anyone had any experience with including these kinds of things in their HHEs, and if so, were there any consequences or precautions that I should be aware of?

Thank you very much,

~~~zapatero

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as it is not a full unopened case of the same kind. PU foam (the kind for sealing around windows, doors etc) is very useful and difficult to find in TH so add that to your aerosol kit.

Thank you very much,

~~~zapatero

Why bother? Home pro in Thailand stock every kind of spray ever invented :o

Thank you for your replies Geoff and Lingling.

Yes, I am familiar with Home Pro -- but unfortunately I failed to look to see which of such supplies were available.

Good idea about the PU foam, LL -- I will do that!

Has no one else had any experience, (first or second hand), with bringing pressurized spray cans in with their HHEs?

Thank you very much,

~~~z

• 1 year later...

I'm the OP. Thank you for all of your replies.

Having now some first-hand experience, I will share it here:

I included quite a few of the below mentioned aerosols in my shipment, and encountered no problems at all. YMMV, of course. I did not volunteer this information to the shipper though, as I felt sure that it would complicate matters significantly. I shipped in a 20-foot sealed container, doorstep to doorstep.

Hope this info is helpful to someone.

Best regards,

~~~z

Thank you very much,

~~~zapatero

I also have a question about what can be shipped or sent. What about knives, such as quality hunting knives? OK or not? I see the customs regulation prohibits importing of weapons. Would hunting knives be considered weapons? Thanks.

.^ You can buy the best hunting knives, pelllet guns, blowguns, brass knuckles, etc right here in Thainalnd for a fraction of the price you pay overseas. Hunting knives are considerered weapons - believe it or not, so are handcuffs. The key is to get through Port Customs quickly & quietly. Knives will call attention to you and it takes only one prick customs officer to turn it into an ordeal. An expensive one. This is Asia! You can get anything here - cheap! Why go through a Customs hassle?

Edited by cluezo

May I ask which Shipping company you used.

I'm looking for recommendations UK to Udon-Thani door to door

Steve

I used Anglo-Pacific (UK) about 2.5 years ago. We packed all our glassware, crockery etc (stuff you can't get here at any price) ourselves. All the larger items were packed by the shippers - kitchen appliances and furniture. We thought we would be saving ourselves a lot of money as these are expensive items in Thailand.

Anyway, turns out that a fridge/freezer is a luxury item according to customs, so is a cooker hood - so we had to pay excise duty. Plus, we got an unexpected "inspection fee' charge by customs and they wouldn't release anything without the payment - 35,000 thb.

Added to the shipping costs, that meant that we saved nothing at all (having said that we do have our nice glassware and Staffordshire crocks.

And there's more. When we eventually got our goods delivered EVERY item packed by the shippers was damaged. It looked like the whole container must have been dropped. The packaging was cr*p. I was expecting wooden crates, but these things were just wrapped in cardboard.

Luckily, the stuff we packed ourselves survived, apart from an odd item.

The insurance covered most of the loss, but we had a massive amount of hassle (example-insurance company didn't want to pay in full for a new fridge as the damage was only 'cosmetic' - big dents in the door).

If you are going to ship your goods over, watch out for the luxury goods charges and expect to pay an "inspection fee". Also, make sure your stuff is properly packaged and insured.

Thanks for that insight into the customs routine Chickenslegs. I too am planning to ship over a container from Europe. I have a few cu. M. of personal sentimental stuff but it seems almost as cheap to ship a whole 20ft container and put all my other crap in it too. The only issue is the unknown amount of duty that I'll get charged for importing my crap. :o (Toolbox, kitchenware, sideboard, desk, Xmas decorations etc.)

I'd love to hear anyone else's stories of their dealings with customs at the container ports.

Edited by Marvo

Thanks for that insight into the customs routine Chickenslegs. I too am planning to ship over a container from Europe. I have a few cu. M. of personal sentimental stuff but it seems almost as cheap to ship a whole 20ft container and put all my other crap in it too. The only issue is the unknown amount of duty that I'll get charged for importing my crap. :o (Toolbox, kitchenware, sideboard, desk, Xmas decorations etc.)

I'd love to hear anyone else's stories of their dealings with customs at the container ports.

My experience was shipping from the US with a shipper dedicated to shipping in and out of Thailand. I had a reputable moving company pack absolutely everything for overseas shipping as if they were doing the shipping. And I had them load the container. The mover (to/from Thailand dedicated) provided the 40ft container and had a BKK incountry mover agent sheppard the container through customs and on to CNX. It arrived locked and sealed. Came through customs duty free on my wife's passport as a Thai returning after years of living in the US. Everything arrived in perfect condition, including our good china and full set of glassware.

I think the key to customs is having experienced in country moving agents who know the customs agents and know the language, i.e., the customs jargon. And not having any "special interest items" or high value.

I am so glad I used the 40 footer as I brought everything I could, including old clothes we had not worn for years. I couldn't have afforded to replace everything with like items here, and whatever we didn't want the many relatives were very pleased to get. However, having my wife's "returning Thai" passport probably is what made it worthwhile. I have absolutely no experience with or knowledge of anyone taking household goods through customs without it.

I think the key to customs is having experienced in country moving agents who know the customs agents and know the language, i.e., the customs jargon. And not having any "special interest items" or high value.

However, having my wife's "returning Thai" passport probably is what made it worthwhile. I have absolutely no experience with or knowledge of anyone taking household goods through customs without it.

Yes, we used my wife's "returning Thai" option (can only be used one time, apparently). Foreigners can also bring in their household goods. Again, it is a one time only option. The foreigner must have a Non-immigrant 'O' type visa. Passport has to be submitted before receiving the goods, so that they can stamp it to show you have used up your "returning Thai" or Non-imm option.

All the goods must be already used (no buying new and shipping over).

But the definition of household goods is not as I expected. So, fridges, TV's, computer, cooker hood etc. are classed as luxury goods and subject to import duties.

I suppose the 'inspection fee' varies according to what they think they can get away with.

I contacted a couple of companies in UK that do a full door to door service & was assured that nothing would need extra money paid as they would pack everything here in UK & list a full inventory. Like others said, a well know reputable company will not have problems & I gather from reading past threads, that the people who have the most problems are when they only have their good delivered to the port (bangkok) so they are then at the mercy of the customs men & their tea money to get their stuff released. :o

I contacted a couple of companies in UK that do a full door to door service & was assured that nothing would need extra money paid as they would pack everything here in UK & list a full inventory. Like others said, a well know reputable company will not have problems & I gather from reading past threads, that the people who have the most problems are when they only have their good delivered to the port (bangkok) so they are then at the mercy of the customs men & their tea money to get their stuff released. :o

Hi Boo,

Sorry, you are wrong, and your shippers should not be making that promise.

I also employed a door to door service. Just exactly as you describe.

But, all shipments arrive at BKK port and are subject to scrutiny by the customs guys.

Even normal postal packages are subject to customs inspection - there is just no way around this (legally).

Your shipment is not released to the Thai company for delivery to your door until you have paid your fees.

I was also told that there would be no additional charges - but there were. You can appeal the charges but (IMO) that is a waste of time.

However, having my wife's "returning Thai" passport probably is what made it worthwhile. I have absolutely no experience with or knowledge of anyone taking household goods through customs without it.

Yes, we used my wife's "returning Thai" option (can only be used one time, apparently). Foreigners can also bring in their household goods. Again, it is a one time only option. The foreigner must have a Non-immigrant 'O' type visa. Passport has to be submitted before receiving the goods, so that they can stamp it to show you have used up your "returning Thai" or Non-imm option.

But the definition of household goods is not as I expected. So, fridges, TV's, computer, cooker hood etc. are classed as luxury goods and subject to import duties.

I suppose the 'inspection fee' varies according to what they think they can get away with.

Incorrect information.

Please refer to the note in red about half way down the page you have linked in post #17.

Incorrect information.

Please refer to the note in red about half way down the page you have linked in post #17.

Yes, once you read through these poorly translated regulations, it does appear that there are other requirements to be met before a foreigner can bring their household effects over here without paying excise duties.

All I can say (in my defence) is that the Thai Embassy in London told me I could apply for this exemption and get a stamp in my passport to allow me to do so.

I didn't bother as my wife could do the same thing without having to go through that procedure.

Sorry if I misled anyone.

May I ask why you are doing this? They will rape you at the Thai port. Bring money.

Cos the wife said so :o

She has just paid more on a leather sofa and chairs than the cost of the shipping container to BKK

Just been quoted £2180 to bkk port, Also just been told Asian Tigers are good to deal with and can get it through customs to deliver to Udon without too much trouble for a returning Thai.

Steve

Curious if anyone has any experience with bringing to Thailand high quality antique furniture ,ect. Any customs problems problems.

Just checked with Asian Tigers and they say its important to declare as Used Personal Effects not as houshold effect or houshold goods.

Failure to follow the advice will result in problems with customs.

They want the wife's thai passport (not a copy) showing her time out of Thailand.

Steve

Hi Boo,

Sorry, you are wrong, and your shippers should not be making that promise.

I also employed a door to door service. Just exactly as you describe.

But, all shipments arrive at BKK port and are subject to scrutiny by the customs guys.

Even normal postal packages are subject to customs inspection - there is just no way around this (legally).

Your shipment is not released to the Thai company for delivery to your door until you have paid your fees.

I was also told that there would be no additional charges - but there were. You can appeal the charges but (IMO) that is a waste of time.

Completely agree, we had exactly the same experience ("door to door" using Anglo Pacific). We were told no additional charges, and that our goods were not taxable. However we were taxed on used personal effects, and the local company said customs had refused the appeal, if we wanted we could appeal ourselves. Anglo Pacific wrote the inventory, and it was based on this list that we were taxed, despite the items being used, and not taxable according to the customs website. The inventory included "Umbrellas" (paper umbrelllas we once brought back from Thailand and Laos), "Cushions" (these were also originally from Thailand!), and "Pictures" (my own paintings). The local company were unhelpful to say the least, and writing a point-by-point email explaining why the items weren't taxable according to customs own website did us little good. The longer we left the goods in port, the more the storage charges built up. Ultimately we decided that it could have been worse, and gave up and paid the charges (probably unjustifiable but luckily fairly minimal). Incidentally the local company didn't bother telling us that after 72 days, customs could auction off the goods...well, they did tell us, one day beforehand!

All credit to Anglo Pacific though (as we had serious doubts about them beforehand) - nothing arrived broken and nothing was missing :D

I used a company called seven seas from the UK, I sent 4 teachests with various items including a pc, lcd monitor and all accessories, various household items and also tools including a grinder, electric drill and soldering kit. I was worried about import duty as most of my gear still looked brand new and was packed in the original boxes and thought they may have had something to say about the tools but the shipping company assured me there would be no extra charges and they were true to their word. I had to take my passport to the shipping office so they could clear my teachests through customs. Only delay was it took them 10 days to deliver them to my home after they had cleared customs, oh and if it makes any difference I had a non o visa in my passport which I am led to believe allows you to import your household goods free from import duty.

I am also shipping a 40 footer into Thailand, all sorts of stuff but no electrical goods, i am putting everything in the wifes name and no mention of myself, she will be a returning thai resident, after 11 years in the UK, as i have been informed is to have the contaioner shipped door to door, you should not have any problems.