Help With Village Living

tsocr

Is anyone familiar with the village Baan A Hi? It is in Loei province near the Laos border. I am interested if any expats live in that area and what the living conditions for an expat would be like in such a small village. My girlfriend would like me to come and live with her there.

Thanks for you help

Tscor, im about 100ks from this village, personally i dont know the village, but i would think there is no bright lights or bars or anything like that, just howling dogs, cockerels crowing all night ect, Thai village people dont mention this because its normal for them,

Before you make any concrete plans, perhaps go stay there as long as possible to weigh the place up, therefore you are not commited.

Hope this makes sense and good luck with whatever you decide,,

Is anyone familiar with the village Baan A Hi? It is in Loei province near the Laos border. I am interested if any expats live in that area and what the living conditions for an expat would be like in such a small village. My girlfriend would like me to come and live with her there.

Thanks for you help

Hello tscor

my wife has big plans for me to live in her family village. We would be there tomorrow if she had her way.

I have only been to the village a couple of times.

The first trip there was like an adventure for me because, to be sure, I had never seen or experienced anything like that before.

The second trip was really because I had to for the family. Nothing had changed or probably ever will other than a new house or two.

The ' adventure ' had lost its potency and I was bored after the first day.

Nobody spoke english and there was/is no farang food for miles, a big issue for me. I respect any and all those people that can live in a small Thai village out in the sticks. I dont know how they can do it. I guess you have to be a certain type of person and maybe you are.

The people that live in these small villages are just the nicest folk but they live a different life to me.

Maybe when I am really old, and I am getting there very fast, I may change my mind. But for now if I am going to live in Thailand it is going to be somewhere in or close to a city that has some creature comforts and farang food.

All the best.

Don't know the village, but OK with village life. Growing up in country NSW made it a little easier.

If you're from a city / really large town, you may have difficulty adjusting initially. I'm not trying to put you off by an means. Be aware that village life is not for everyone. For the first few visits, you'll probably fnd there is always someone watching to see how you react to anything. Our village was without town water for a few days one visit. No problem, we have several 100 litre containers in the yard, so washed from there. Neighbours were greatly amused.

You will find more details from a number of people (including myself) in these 2 forums. I hope they help.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117644

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81918

The 2nd is a tad long with 308 entries, the 1st has 9.

I guess the base essential is to make sure you have someone of your language you can turn to for moral support or just a chat when you need one. Once you get use to the locals - and they to you - things tend to sort themselves out.

Thanks everyone for your help. I plan on goinng to stay at the village in a few weks to check it out and also the room addition (3rd bedroom and 2nd bath) I had put on the house. My girlfriend has told me it may be hard for me but I'll give it a go. The food may be a problem for me also. She loves her spicy food. May end up using the house a get away home in the end.

tscor

My first visit I was prepared to go if it wasn't working out after a few days. 2 weeks later I reluctantly went back to Sydney. Now I'm part of the furniture. Unlike the touristy places, I don't believe I've had anyone here try to rip me off - although I'm sure there'll be a time. I'm not in LoS as much or as often as I'd like, but I have no real problems in the village. It's a bit of a hike to Chaiyaphum & the buses aren't overly reliable, but that just adds to the entertainment.

Remember to attend temple at least once with her mum regardless of your beliefs. That will help cement your place in the family & village.

Edited by pgs

hello ,

i ended up in a village near korat , met the entire village ,thought i could buy 2 rai and buy a house on it like a few af the retired farang did with there gf. but i did not tell anyone i could speak thai , my gf only thought i knew a few words .

But behind the smiles and good will they were interested in one thing yes the money tree from the stupid farang. now i believe that if you could efford to stay there and not know what they really were saying and thinking someone could probably get away with it but i went to the trouble of understanding thai.

too bad not many guys going to learn from you kangeroo.

this girl is going to be the queen of the village with her trophy boyfriend.

what is the guy going to get out of it. no one to speak to. living in he middle of nowhere. tending to chickens all day. no football.

this guy must be bonkers. get a city girl guy, its not like theres none available.

opps sorry you already did it. mai pen rai. at least your house will not go to waste. if village people were smart they would make your life very unpleasent after you do the upgrades.............lol. farang boyfriends dime a dozen in bkk.

Edited by blizzard

Thanks for you help

Dont think it really matters about the specific village. Village life in most small Isaan villages is similar.

I've been to my b/f's small village (in Yasothan) many times. Usaully stay for 5 or 6 days at a time. Thats all I can take. I enjoy my creature comforts too much. You know, hot shower, sitting when taking a dump instead of sqatting, & Isaan food is much too spicy for me.

Bought the b/f his families house, who have lived in the village for generations. Family was having financial problem, so rather than just giving them the mony, they agreed to sell me the house, which they still live in, but put it in my b/f's name so now its still in the family, have retained a long term lease on the house so still have some control over the situation.

as far as living there full time, not sure if can do. without installing Western amenities in house. That might make it livable full time.

But in reality, in these small villages there is nothing to do except:

EAT

DRINK

SLEEP

F##CK

THATS ONLY MY OPINION.

whats lub got to do with things.

maybe man lub girl. but i not quite so sure girl lub boy in majority of these cases.

no offense to thai girls but they choose all the time. some choose 4 or 5 at one time to lub................lol

Edited by blizzard

Thanks for you help

Dont think it really matters about the specific village. Village life in most small Isaan villages is similar.

I've been to my b/f's small village (in Yasothan) many times. Usaully stay for 5 or 6 days at a time. Thats all I can take. I enjoy my creature comforts too much. You know, hot shower, sitting when taking a dump instead of sqatting, & Isaan food is much too spicy for me.

Bought the b/f his families house, who have lived in the village for generations. Family was having financial problem, so rather than just giving them the mony, they agreed to sell me the house, which they still live in, but put it in my b/f's name so now its still in the family, have retained a long term lease on the house so still have some control over the situation.

as far as living there full time, not sure if can do. without installing Western amenities in house. That might make it livable full time.

But in reality, in these small villages there is nothing to do except:

EAT

DRINK

SLEEP

F##CK

THATS ONLY MY OPINION.

Dont forget,

you can wake up at 5.30 with the chickens and watch the buffalo and ox go past.post-18138-1179030667_thumb.jpg

too bad not many guys going to learn from you kangeroo.

this girl is going to be the queen of the village with her trophy boyfriend.

what is the guy going to get out of it. no one to speak to. living in he middle of nowhere. tending to chickens all day. no football.

this guy must be bonkers. get a city girl guy, its not like theres none available.

opps sorry you already did it. mai pen rai. at least your house will not go to waste. if village people were smart they would make your life very unpleasent after you do the upgrades.............lol. farang boyfriends dime a dozen in bkk.

You should Always listen to good old Blizzard. He is usually right! Allegedly. (I mean it Mate!)

Thanks

Just a little more info. Our house has hot water, western baths and kitchen, air conditioners, chairs, tables and a car which should make it somewhat comfortabe. I also have been with my girlfreind for 1 1/2 years.

Thanks again

tsocr

Dont mean to nit-pick but your last post states you have air con, hot water, car,western style baths ect, did you pay for all this? or was the air-con already there?and hot water? and a car, wow, you will want for nothing!! Have a look round when you get there, perhaps there is a helicopter landing pad and an underground multi-plex that you missed out, [just joking] but did you pay for the things you posted? has another falang been there before you? Sounds very special sort of house for a small northern village!!

On a lighter vein, you can buy western foods [some] in tesco lotus Udon thani or Nong khai, if you like oxo beef cubes, marmite, colemans english mustard,bring a good supply with you..

As for the devious Kangeroo and the jilted Blizzard, {joking again] you will know if your GF is honest with you, the writing is always on the wall, you just got to read it many times, and ask yourself if what you are doing is right,

Oh yes, get broadband installed at the house if possible, keeping in touch with the world will get you through the days of boredom,

All the best, Lickey..

Dont mean to nit-pick but your last post states you have air con, hot water, car,western style baths ect, did you pay for all this? or was the air-con already there?and hot water? and a car, wow, you will want for nothing!! Have a look round when you get there, perhaps there is a helicopter landing pad and an underground multi-plex that you missed out, [just joking] but did you pay for the things you posted? has another falang been there before you? Sounds very special sort of house for a small northern village!!

On a lighter vein, you can buy western foods [some] in tesco lotus Udon thani or Nong khai, if you like oxo beef cubes, marmite, colemans english mustard,bring a good supply with you..

As for the devious Kangeroo and the jilted Blizzard, {joking again] you will know if your GF is honest with you, the writing is always on the wall, you just got to read it many times, and ask yourself if what you are doing is right,

Oh yes, get broadband installed at the house if possible, keeping in touch with the world will get you through the days of boredom,

All the best, Lickey..

Yes I am always reading the writing on the wall. This does not only apply to Thai girls though. My G/Fs Thai husband who passed away some time ago came from a good income farming family and was a school teacher. He build the house. I added the western kitchen and 3rd bed room and 2nd bath ( air in 3rd bedroom I added only). This village is were her in-laws live but her family is just around the corner. My GF also has a great 12 year old daughter who I get along with very well. She learns traditional Thai at school but everyone in the village speaks Laos. We try to teach each other Thai and English. My GF speaks Thai english so so. Yes our house I believe should be the very nice for a village home. I will have to wait and see. I could get those pesty bugs coming up my drains if they did not put in a plumbimg trap. I was not there to over see the construction. Me being there most likely didn't matter anyway. I will bet you they did not.

Thank you for the western food info and broadband. What is the best package to get? Yes western food is a must for me. I can eat Thai but in the village I undersatnd the food will be fish, fish more fish and always the stickey rice and some pork or chicken, all spicy.

I will send pictures of the home and village stories when I get up there.

Tsocr

Thank you for the western food info and broadband. What is the best package to get?

Hi Tsocr

I have TT&T 1meg broadband which seems to work well most of the time

Baht 1,000 per month + tax 7%

TBWG :o

I could get those pesty bugs coming up my drains if they did not put in a plumbimg trap.

At present we live in an old house and there is no U-bends [traps] on the drains, i cover these with a piece of rubber mat, then after a shower/wash, we always put a capful of Dettol down the drain, Mossies and other insects really dont like the smell and stay away, you can buy big bottles of Dettol in the Tescao pharmacy..

What is the best package to get?

I have TOT broadband, 700bht + 7% tax, 1 month, not sure of speed, but it works ok, quite quick and reliable.

Western food, like you, im not into to much fish and hot spice, Tesco have minced beef/pork, all the usual pastas and ready-made sauces, some decent cheeses, emantal, vintage cheddar ect, french bread sticks, some nice fresh salad pots, bacon and salami, european potatoes, leeks, just go look, and browse the shelves, you will find something you like, beef steaks are tough as hel_l, thin slice them, soak in milk for 2 hours, flash fry and its nice and tender.

I see your family has a farm, good, since ive been here i took an interest in the family farm, i looked on internet for advice how to grow things in this climate ect, with a little investment, what was 35000bht a year has turned into an average of 1800bht a day, selling fruit,salad, ect, [im retired and this is my hobby] but its a nice diversion for me.

Hope this info helps you settle in, and i hope you are ready for the family walking in and out of your house everyday, I have an office/bedroom with air-con and Laptop where i retire when too many people are here, you might need the same if you like your privacy and peace and quiet..

I could get those pesty bugs coming up my drains if they did not put in a plumbimg trap.

At present we live in an old house and there is no U-bends [traps] on the drains, i cover these with a piece of rubber mat, then after a shower/wash, we always put a capful of Dettol down the drain, Mossies and other insects really dont like the smell and stay away, you can buy big bottles of Dettol in the Tescao pharmacy..

What is the best package to get?

I have TOT broadband, 700bht + 7% tax, 1 month, not sure of speed, but it works ok, quite quick and reliable.

Western food, like you, im not into to much fish and hot spice, Tesco have minced beef/pork, all the usual pastas and ready-made sauces, some decent cheeses, emantal, vintage cheddar ect, french bread sticks, some nice fresh salad pots, bacon and salami, european potatoes, leeks, just go look, and browse the shelves, you will find something you like, beef steaks are tough as hel_l, thin slice them, soak in milk for 2 hours, flash fry and its nice and tender.

I see your family has a farm, good, since ive been here i took an interest in the family farm, i looked on internet for advice how to grow things in this climate ect, with a little investment, what was 35000bht a year has turned into an average of 1800bht a day, selling fruit,salad, ect, [im retired and this is my hobby] but its a nice diversion for me.

Hope this info helps you settle in, and i hope you are ready for the family walking in and out of your house everyday, I have an office/bedroom with air-con and Laptop where i retire when too many people are here, you might need the same if you like your privacy and peace and quiet..

Thanks for the info on Dettol I will be sure to pick up a bottle.