Fully vaccinated persons don’t need to quarantine post-coronavirus exposure, CDC says

ASEAN NOW Content Team

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Wednesday said that those who are fully vaccinated against coronavirus and who "meet criteria" will no longer be required to quarantine following exposure to someone with COVID-19.

The CDC said the update applies to fully vaccinated people who have received the last dose within the previous three months, and have remained asymptomatic since the COVID-19 exposure.

"Persons who do not meet all three of the above criteria should continue to follow current quarantine guidance after exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19," the agency stated while noting that while the risk of transmission from vaccinated persons remains uncertain, vaccines have been shown to prevent symptomatic COVID-19.

"Additionally, individual and societal benefits of avoiding unnecessary quarantine may outweigh the potential but unknown risk of transmission, and facilitate the direction of public health resources to persons at highest risk for transmitting SARS-CoV-2 to others," the CDC stated.

The agency advised that fully vaccinated persons who do not quarantine should still monitor for symptoms for 14 days following exposure and that those who do develop symptoms should still be evaluated and tested.

It also recommends that fully vaccinated persons continue to adhere to public health measures.

Further down in the update the agency noted that vaccinated inpatients or those who are residents in health care settings should still quarantine following exposure due to a higher risk of severe disease and death among this population.

"Although not preferred, healthcare facilities could consider waiving quarantine for vaccinated patients and residents as a strategy to mitigate critical issues when other options are unsuccessful or unavailable," the agency stated.

FULL ARTICLE

53 minutes ago, donnacha said:

I would like to understand why anyone assumes Thailand will put off recovering their economy any longer than is absolutely necessary.

If, as expected, the airlines introduce a vaccine passport requirement by this summer, it means that hundreds of millions of inoculated people will be able to fly. After over a year of lockdown, with vacation money piling up in their bank accounts, they will be eager to have longer and more exotic vacations than usual. Thailand is positioned to have its best ever high season this year.

Thailand's current Covid problem is very clearly due to the uncontrolled movement of migrant workers over its land borders from countries where the virus is out of control. Inoculated tourists arriving from Western countries where, by this summer, the situation will be radically better thanks to the majority of the population being vaccinated, is not going to be a problem.

If for example only 30 percent of the Thai population is vaccinated by the end of this year most will be susceptible and paranoid of foreigners, inoculated or not. Also who gets to benefit the most of the quarantine system?

I think some countries will get to benefit of the pent up demand next winter but Thailand might be too cautious to be among them, especially if the Chinese are not allowed to travel.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/11/2021 at 3:40 PM, sirineou said:

I like to know why, if I am vaccinated,and i come to Thailand I still have to buy Covid insurance? 

Some corrupt entity if profiting in some manner or another. 

Everything is justified under the guise of COVID and it's splendid era.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 6:06 PM, zzaa09 said:

Some corrupt entity if profiting in some manner or another. 

Everything is justified under the guise of COVID and it's splendid era.

It is all about money for the favoured few and their hangers on. The vast majority of Thai people are ignored by the favoured few unless they are needed to build more profits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

It is all about money for the favoured few and their hangers on. The vast majority of Thai people are ignored by the favoured few unless they are needed to build more profits.

Any CDC lost any vestige of credibility and integrity a long time ago. Yet, many still conflate 'accreditations' with smartness. In the real world, many are dumber than a box of rocks and you shouldn't give credit when it isn't due.

This guy is making statements, only a few hours after the NYT (an absolutely conservative bastion of reporting) published an article  which trashes the efficacy of Cino vaccines regarding infection.

Seems they aren't so great in this field without US taxpayer dollars and outside expertise.

UK figures suggest that the vaccine stops serious illness of current variants but still allows the vaccinated to pass on the virus if infected (hence Merkel trying to quarantine Brits even when vaccinated). As an unknown virus that possibly will have widespread infection in the UK but without serious illness, it will be interesting to see if variants emerge from this widespread dispersion. Also A & E is currently overwhelmed with kids with an excess of illnesses. Long term effects of Covid and vaccines are unknown.

On 2/11/2021 at 5:32 PM, mtls2005 said:

Sorry, not enough airlift capacity to handle this number of customers. 

It will take years for the airlines, and supporting infrastructure, to even come close to pre-COVID figures.

Here's a realtime aircraft tracker over the USA, right now...  Less than 5 months later.

Aircraft.jpg

Meanwhile, over Thailand...

airplane 2.jpg

(Edit:  Okay, I admit that due to the time difference and the curfew at Thai airports, the difference is a little exaggerated at night.  But it's still pretty scary...)

Edited by impulse

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 6:40 AM, sirineou said:

I like to know why, if I am vaccinated,and i come to Thailand I still have to buy Covid insurance? 

I returned to Thailand May of this year from the states and I'm fully vaccinated, when applying for my visa I asked the embassy if I still needed Covid insurance and they said yes, but on a positive note I only stayed in the ASQ hotel for 7 days (more like 6 as I checked in late at night the first day and they counted that as one day).

Edited by bbko

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

In case you  get covid

That question was posted almost a year ago. (Pre-Omega variant) when if vaccinated you had a negligible chance of being infected 

Edited by sirineou

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2022 at 11:30 PM, sirineou said:

That question was posted almost a year ago. (Pre-Omega variant) when if vaccinated you had a negligible chance of being infected 

But the chance is

7 hours ago, Bucyf said:

But the chance is

From a financial POV ,there is and actuary that assigns risk  and premium, You cant have a person wit a 87% risk factor pay the same as a person with a 13% risk factor. 

and in business and politics one does a cost /reward analysis, to determine a policy's  cost as it relates to the reward return.

My reply concerning this post was predicated on the above two propositions.

It was reported that an insignificant percentage of those tourists vaccinated arriving in Thailand tested positive.

IMO it is idiotic to say the least, to  destroy the tourist industry so you could prevent and additional few infections of a virus that is already here.