big or open MRI in bkk / thailand ?

scammed

I had a lumbar MRI at BK Hospital recently and it was less claustrophobic than a lot of the other torpedo tubes I've been in.  As I recall my head was only about 6 inches from the opening and I could see outside.  So far claustrophobia hasn't bothered me but I can see how it would get to some people.

Maybe try Bumrungrad?  They seem to have a lot of middle-eastern and Indian/Pakistani patients with BMI's over 30.

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Don't know but due few hours in tight MRI tomorrow and not a big fan.  Could he use a CT scan by chance?  Much less claustrophobic and faster if viable.  

no i highly doubt that, its a cancer issue and its getting urgent

and this is holding up the process

2 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

I had a lumbar MRI at BK Hospital recently and it was less claustrophobic than a lot of the other torpedo tubes I've been in.  As I recall my head was only about 6 inches from the opening and I could see outside.  So far claustrophobia hasn't bothered me but I can see how it would get to some people.

Maybe try Bumrungrad?  They seem to have a lot of middle-eastern and Indian/Pakistani patients with BMI's over 30.

Suspect you went in the other way around - MRI for upper body has your head in tube but for lower body your legs go through the tube the other way and head is still outside.  I have both versions tomorrow.  I agree much less noise and can almost take a nap for lower body (no need for breath holding).

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect you went in the other way around - MRI for upper body has your head in tube but for lower body your legs go through the tube the other way and head is still outside.  I have both versions tomorrow.  I agree much less noise and can almost take a nap for lower body (no need for breath holding).

Yes - I've had both ways for the same area.  It wasn't as noisy.

In the US I have been offered sedatives but never took them up on it.  BKH didn't offer anything.  Maybe call the hospital to find out?

Edited by pseudorabies
stupidity on my part

6 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

maybe, the small tube is 11k and there is maybe a place bigger for 50k, not sure, its peanuts to him so im hoping

he will take whatever big machine he can get regardless of cost asap

Just now, scammed said:

no i highly doubt that, its a cancer issue and its getting urgent

and this is holding up the process

Yes most cancer shows better on MRI and reason I am having - I am 90kg and a bit tight not bad and keep arms at side during scans.  If lower abdomen head is not inside unit at all but upper abdomen would require. 

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes most cancer shows better on MRI and reason I am having - I am 90kg and a bit tight not bad and keep arms at side during scans.  If lower abdomen head is not inside unit at all but upper abdomen would require. 

its in the neck so head & shoulders are going in,

but it has to be bigger than standard issue machine

24 minutes ago, scammed said:

its in the neck so head & shoulders are going in,

but it has to be bigger than standard issue machine

In that (neck) area a quick Google check indicates CT might indeed be OK from my reading.  

Will add that in my own experience radiology changed a scheduled MRI to CT when I had a suspect thyroid mass some years ago.  

Edited by lopburi3

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In that (neck) area a quick Google check indicates CT might indeed be OK from my reading.  

thyroid ? and the dr seem to insist on MRI,

atho on that i dont actually know, but CT seem to have not been on topic

Edited by scammed

1 minute ago, scammed said:

do you happen to know cost for cancer in neck thyroid MRI scan ?

It will have to be done with contrast media so that will add to the cost. I'd guess around 15K but you  need to check with the hospital. I don't know if there is extra cost for open machine.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It will have to be done with contrast media so that will add to the cost. I'd guess around 15K but you  need to check with the hospital. I don't know if there is extra cost for open machine.

thanks sheryl, much appreciated, i told him already and it lifted his spirit

Prachacheun MRI here - http://www.mrithailand.com/  Their phone numbers are 

• 02-953-9469
  • 089-989-8777

according to the website.  

Give them a call and see what they have and the cost.  I went there about 15 years ago and their kit was better than Bumrungrad's.  As soon as I had had it and got changed, their resident doctor took me through everything.

Opposite the Bon Marche shopping place not far from Mo Chit.

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by Mister Fixit

5 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

Prachacheun MRI here - http://www.mrithailand.com/  Their phone numbers are 

• 02-953-9469
  • 089-989-8777

according to the website.  

Give them a call and see what they have and the cost.  I went there about 15 years ago and their kit was better than Bumrungrad's.  As soon as I had had it and got changed, their resident doctor took me through everything.

Opposite the Bon Marche shopping place not far from Mo Chit.

Clipboard01.jpg

Please see my prior post. Not safe to have this type of MRI (requiring contrast material) outside of a hospital

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Please see my prior post. Not safe to have this type of MRI (requiring contrast material) outside of a hospital

I saw it.  When I went, a doctor was in attendance.  And as the crow flies,  it's about 1 kilometre from Vibhawadi-Rangsit hospital.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:52 PM, Sheryl said:

I was quoted significantly more (over double) that that for an MRI at Bangkok Hospital, and was told that the open MRI option would be even more expensive.

26 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I was quoted significantly more (over double) that that for an MRI at Bangkok Hospital, and was told that the open MRI option would be even more expensive.

Believe cost is very dependent on what is being done - and contrast greatly increases the bill (that alone was 11,500 for my MRI yesterday at Vejthani Hospital).  Total cost was about 42,000 not including blood tests (another almost 5,000).  This for upper and lower abdominal scans taking almost 3 hours. 

3 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

I saw it.  When I went, a doctor was in attendance.  And as the crow flies,  it's about 1 kilometre from Vibhawadi-Rangsit hospital.

Still not safe IMO. You can die from an anaphalactic reaction within minutes.

I also do not think this place has an open machine. Which was the point of the post. He has not asked for the least expensive place but rather place that has open machine.

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

Open may indeed cost more.

As to base cost depends on area being scanned. I would be surprised if much more thsn 20k (regular machine) for MRI of neck area.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Still not safe IMO. You can die from an anaphalactic reaction within minutes.

I also do not think this place has an open machine. Which was the point of the post. He has not asked for the least expensive place but rather place that has open machine.

I know he has.  That's why I provided the details for him so he could enquire for himself.