Vip Bus And Boat Ticket To Ko Phan Ngan

MissAnge

I am planning on a trip down to Ko Phan Ngan in a couple of weeks and to cut costs I plan on taking the bus down (then flying out of Samui on the return leg). I want to travel on the 24 seat VIP bus that leaves from the Southern Bus Terminal and takes you all the way to the ferry and then over to the island. Does anyone know if I can book 4 seats in advance? Also can I get them from a ticket office so that I don't have to head all the way to the Southern Bus Terminal?

If you go to the South bus station you can probably book in advance but I don't know of any agents that offer them. I think the bus company is called 999. Make sure you don't get sold some dodgy Khao San Road bus ticket!

lol i bought 1 of those ko san road jobbies but there was nothing dodgy about it and i went to samui but youll go to the same area to get the boat.

i went on a larger coach say 52 seater had toilet a/c tv/dvd player to watch movies.its a very long drive about 10 hours.for the coach/ferry combo ticket it cost me 600 baht 1way and before getting on the ferry there were touts selling tickets if you needed transport to your hotel/bungalow.

lol i bought 1 of those ko san road jobbies but there was nothing dodgy about it and i went to samui but youll go to the same area to get the boat.

i went on a larger coach say 52 seater had toilet a/c tv/dvd player to watch movies.its a very long drive about 10 hours.for the coach/ferry combo ticket it cost me 600 baht 1way and before getting on the ferry there were touts selling tickets if you needed transport to your hotel/bungalow.

if the 24 seater bus is reputable then you can book it at any travel agent in the kao san road area :o saying that why not fly down and bus back, that way you can ask for yourself the best buses to get from other farangs.maybe u havnt over spent and can fly back as well ,the bus is a nightmare 12 hours uncomfortable the plane is 45 mins on the jet :D

if the 24 seater bus is reputable then you can book it at any travel agent in the kao san road area :o saying that why not fly down and bus back, that way you can ask for yourself the best buses to get from other farangs.maybe u havnt over spent and can fly back as well ,the bus is a nightmare 12 hours uncomfortable the plane is 45 mins on the jet :D

I'll miss a day if I take the bus back, need to be back at work on Monday so it works out better to bus down weds night then fly back late on Sunday.

I think I will go with sbk's advice and head over to the bus terminal to pick up a ticket, I think you are right, its the 999 company. I've been with them before, seats are big and comfy enough (not difficult to find something to help you sleep!) and your stuff is safe in the holds below the bus - and you don't need to wake up until you are well and truly on the boat.

Thanks for all your help everyone :D

I take the 24-seat VIP (999) buses quite often: north, south and northeast. I've tried to find ways to buy tickets at locations other than the bus terminal(s), but have had no luck. I always have to go to the terminal to buy the ticket. I've purchased tickets up to three weeks in advance, but believe longer advance purchases are possible, other than during peak travel periods like end-Dec/beg-Jan & Songkhran, as they have a decent computerized system. Seating is eight rows of A_BC, best solo seat is A1.

tag420uk -- I have heard more stories than I can possibly count of people being sold VIP tickets for a Khao San Road bus only to find themselves on a regular bus with people who paid less. And countless stories of belongings in the hold being rifled, pockets being picked while on the bus and of the buses breaking down, stranding passengers in the middle of nowhere and then forced to buy new tickets with another company. But, hey, go for it.

As for the 999 bus being disreputable because they don't sell out of travel agencies in KS, very few (if any) govt bus agencies out of the South Bus station sell tickets out of KS road. Most likely, it is govt policy as these buses are regulated by the govt and the KS road buses are not.

Good luck MissAnge, its a heck of a taxi ride from the center of Bangkok :o