Chiang Mai To Mae Sai

JimmyTheMook

Aprrox . how long of a ride would this be ?

or CM to CR ?

about 2hrs to CR and another hour on from there mate ( depending on the machine you riding)

Be very careful in this weather its a dangerouse road at times

Edited by BossHogg

yeh...thinking about it you probably right.It takes me that long in the car so a bit longer on a honda dream! i would have thought CRto Mae Sai would still be about an hour,only 60ks

Would agree with the above times for CR to MS, but Cm to CR would be longer than that for an inexperienced Honda Dream Rider.

Best to encourage taking it slow IMHO, as I have been close to too many accidents on that road, even me as a cautious driver!

Phil

JTM,

Take the bus.

Unless you are a very experienced motorcyclist, in Thailand....

Even then, I would say this is not a good time of year for a border run. Lots of sudden rain, mud and debris on corners, etc.

When you get out on the open road, be aware that it is not like CM where bikes pretty much rule (because of congestion/traffic).

You are a chicken crossing the road with an 18-wheeler blasting its horns :o

Regards,

McG

It really depends on the machine, but a big bike allow all day and a Honda dream 2 days.

A lot of rest time is needed, and shelter time from storms.

Worth doing as you see much more than in a car or bus.

This from my own experience.

I took my bike from CM to Mae Sai 2 weeks ago

I suggest you make a nice weekend out of it

I drove up 107 to Fang & Tha Ton which took a good few hours - it was raining like hel_l! Road is great and very little traffic

Stayed in Tha Ton and then next day drove to Mae Sai (1089 + 1) which took 2 hours (again because of rain)

Did the visa run and then headed along the border to the Golden Triangle and back routes to Chiang Rai (1290 +1016) Again a couple of hours

If you have time I strongly suggest spending an extra day and driving from CR to Phayao - again backroads and then on the highway 120 and 118 to CM - The 120 stretch is an amazing 60KM of winding roads over the mountains - not to be missed!!!!

Enjoy

I drove out of the Rincome intersection at either 8 or 9 am one day, did the entire run, and rolled back into my driveway about 3:30 pm. I do not recommend it. I think that was also the day I pulled a back muscle. It was the dry season, and I'm an experienced motorcyclist who was pushing the CBR150 hard. In a slowly ridden Honda or Wave, it would take far longer and just not be safe in the rainy season.

The last time I tried that run in the CBR150, I went the route through Mae Tang and never made it to Fang. Crashed and ruined my shoulder. So, ride the bus.

Me and my gf rode to Mai Sai on a Yamaha Mio a few months back, took between 5 & 6 hours each way with stops and not going too fast. Stayed overnight in Mai Sai and came back the following day. The 118 road was very quiet and number 1 highway was reasonable. Cost about 400 Baht in fuel for the whole trip.

I drive 120 between Phayao & Mae Kachan regularly. It is a very beautiful road with little traffic but these days (months) they're expanding/rebuilding the road on the Lampang side of the mountain & because the road surface is a mess I wouldn't recommend it as a leisure trip right now (they just finished the Phayao side of the mountain though & the surface is fantastic). Instead, I've taken to going down highway 1 from Phayao to Lampang & then back up 11 to Chiang Mai. It's longer in terms of km but doesn't take much more time because the highway is wide & smooth so you can go faster. And highway 1 between Ngao & Lampang is also quite beautiful with lots of big limestone outcrops.

Did these years ago on a rented bike from CM , a small Honda Wave type.

Slept up in CR , was the dry season and remember it as being quite fun.

Did not time the trip , sure do not like riding in the rain.

A newer Honda Wave would have very little problem doing this trip if ridden properly and safely.