Credit Card Scam At King Power Duty Free

:o

On April 24, I was in transit at Suwanaphumi Airport on my way from Phnom Penh to Manila.

I did two purshases at King Power duty free during transit.

Two days later I received a mail in Manila from my bank in Belgium telling me that my MASTER CARD data have been copied in Bangkok and that someone was trying to use " my" credit card from Australia. Then my bank bloqued my card.

Today, I meet a friend in Cambodia, who told me exactly the same story. Same problem after shopping at King Power duty free and same story regarding illegal try to use credit card from Australian (where we never been)!!

So beware of using your credit card at King Power. There is a hacker or some staff are transmiting Credit card number (INCLUDING the 3 digit code) to some complice in Australia.

Be warned

Cheers

Philipethelong

mine was copied at BUMRUNGRAD HOSPITAL in October 2007, while I was inpatient at ICU and not able to go to the accounting department by myself, so I had to hand it over to some staff there....

and not to forget all those KEYLOGGERS at internet-Cafes in Thailand (in particular that very popular one in pattaya where some people found out about the keylogger) where they steal your data....

maybe one day, credit-card use will be not possible anymore in Thailand, because its too risky for the credit-card companies.....

or they will charge 5% or more extra to have enough funds to cover the fraud.....

I know two guys who had their cards copied in Thaland - for both of them it could have only been doen at the Eastiny or The Lobster Pot Restaurant

I never use my personal card in Thailand outside 5* hotels and now not even that - its my Corporate Amex.

Thailands is not the worst in the region but I do here of it more and more recently.

Before heading OS, I advise my CC company which counties I'll be in, which sections of those countries, approximately what max $ transaction I'd expect in one hit, what dates I'll be away. If anything occurs from somewhere else or higher than anticipated, the payment is held whilst they call for verification. This can be a little inconvenient at times, but it's worth it.

Yes, they actually do it! I was so surprised to have an Aussie bank provide customer service.

Realistically, the cost of the call is cheaper than the stuffing about later.

Yes, they actually do it! I was so surprised to have an Aussie bank provide customer service.

am surprised, and glad for you, they did. I asked the same facility from my bank and they said visa wouldn't handle such coplications! That if I was unsure about a transaction then I had to claim the card lost and replacement sent out. Seemed like they didn't really care.

rych

A simple rule is: Don't let your Credit Card go out of sight. Though it can be difficult at times.

And as previously suggested. Let your CC company know where you will be and for how long.

Some point of sale machines look like the normal ones but have extra internal construction to record details.

Sometimes "following your card" isnt enough.

My bank allows me to transfer from my savings account to my current account on line, so I just transfer a small amount to the account linked to my card (its a debit Visa not a credit card Visa...no way would I use a credit card with a multi thousand £/$ while travelling).

Once in Honduras, I couldn't complete a credit card transaction due to a security hold.

I also call prior to going overseas and they always welcome the call.

I've done it with visa, MC and amex.

The new credit cards here in Thailand have a micro chip built into them so they can not be copied. When I left the USA 2 years ago I noticed some people had the same type of cards maybe it is something to look into.

That is what we have done. Interestingly, while other countries have the chip cards, I don't know of any foreign bank branch that issues chip cards, while several of the Thai banks have switched to it.

mine was copied at BUMRUNGRAD HOSPITAL in October 2007, while I was inpatient at ICU and not able to go to the accounting department by myself, so I had to hand it over to some staff there....

and not to forget all those KEYLOGGERS at internet-Cafes in Thailand (in particular that very popular one in pattaya where some people found out about the keylogger) where they steal your data....

maybe one day, credit-card use will be not possible anymore in Thailand, because its too risky for the credit-card companies.....

or they will charge 5% or more extra to have enough funds to cover the fraud.....

Are you not going to tell us which Internet cafe you are referring to ?

The new credit cards here in Thailand have a micro chip built into them so they can not be copied. When I left the USA 2 years ago I noticed some people had the same type of cards maybe it is something to look into.

We have had chip and pin cards in the UK for quite a long time now and all transactions have to be completed using that method in the UK, however all cards still have the metalic strip on them containing all the relavent data and the banks will allow transactions to be made abroad using the 'metalic strip' method so people should be aware that although these cards are more secure in the UK they are not secure anywhere else in the world.

Respectfully, these kinds of stories reflect extreme naivete on the part of the traveller. Anyone using a public computer for anything other than basic surfing or email with a very anonymous account (e.g., hotmail or other), is simply behaving foolishingly. One should expect that keyloggers and other snooping apps to be on any public computer. Doing financial or credit card transactions is simply begging for trouble. It's no different than walking down the street with 1000 baht notes hanging out of every pocket.

The same this goes for excessive use of plastic. Cash is more or less risk free. IMHO, plastic should be used only under very specific cases, such as well known hotels, etc. Even then, one should take precautions with the issuing bank. Tell them exactly where you are going to be and when and how you might be using the card. Tell them to restrict authorizations to only those cases. For example, tell them that you will only be using it for restaurants and food in BKK so when some hustler tries to buy a fridge for the folks back home, the bank will not only bounce the transaction but will give you and audit trail.

You can also put daily limits on cards. You can get a separate card to be used only when traveling abroad and put a small daily limit on it like 50 or 100 quid. That limits the amount you can get burned. You pay your plastic issuer for these services, so you might as well use them.

No blanket generalisations please.

Carrying cash is not 'risk free'. Using CCs in an internet cafe is not akin to "walking down the street with 1000 baht notes hanging out of every pocket".

That is simply, rubbish.

You are not liable for credit card transactions completed without your permission. UK credit card protection can extend to overseas use. Secondly, because it's not your money, you have lost nothing.

Once you've handed over the cash, it's not that easy to get it back if there is a dispute.

I know your post is well meaning, but it's quite unhelpful.

Whilst abroad, I use my CC exclusively for purchases and DC for cash withdrawals.

Some people are a little too paranoid.

For an extra level of security, one could utilise; http://portableapps.com/

Getting a bit OT here but how can portableapps give you more security if the PC you use it on is infected with a virus/keylogger. The first thing these things do is mask themselves from antivirus software. Maybe a better solution is to use one of the LiveCD versions of Linux on a memory stick and boot from it.

I went into the only supermarket here in Chumphon, it is called Ocean, anyway I paid with a debit card and signed my slip while I was signing the cashier took out a HUGE ledger type book where she proceeded to look at my card and start writing the details down, thankfully I speak enough Thai to stop her immediately, I took all the receipts and paid by cash instead. I called and cancelled my card as soon as I left the store. This book was absolutely full anybody else experience this ????

You could see from the book that they were writing down expiration dates and the code on the back. ON returning to this store I have noticed that they have one of these HUGE books under each register. !!!!!!!!!

Getting a bit OT here but how can portableapps give you more security if the PC you use it on is infected with a virus/keylogger. The first thing these things do is mask themselves from antivirus software. Maybe a better solution is to use one of the LiveCD versions of Linux on a memory stick and boot from it.

Possibly because you wouldn't need to make any relevant keystrokes in order to enter your details, as they would be stored on the thumbdrive and not on the computer.

As I wrote, "For an extra level of security, one could utilise".... It is an extra level of security.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I know two guys who had their cards copied in Thaland - for both of them it could have only been doen at the Eastiny or The Lobster Pot Restaurant

I never use my personal card in Thailand outside 5* hotels and now not even that - its my Corporate Amex.

Thailands is not the worst in the region but I do here of it more and more recently.

I had money stolen twice from eastiny place last november. Manager did nothing. And as expected, their english got worse the more I complained.

avoid eastiny place on soi 8. Used be an OK lower range hotel, but not worth it any more.