Stay In South Jomtien? Return to BKK? Or...?

I drove from BKK to south Jomtien to take an intensive sailing course on April 10. The course lasted 11 days. Since then, I've been relaxing and catching up on things in my hotel here. Now I'm considering what's next.
I could very well be wrong but, I think I saw that driving (/traveling), between provinces is "discouraged," but not banned? So, if I wanted to drive back to BKK, I wouldn't have to go through any checkpoints which could potentially be a hassle (or worse)?

However, I have no pressing reason to return to BKK. So, maybe I'd be wiser to (or may as well), stay away a while longer...maybe find a room to rent by the week, or even month? Any helpful info/advice appreciated. Thx

10 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

How was the sailing course? Any more detail? Who with? How much?

I wrote this blog about it. You're welcome. ???? 

https://davesrave.net/eleven-day-sailboat-skipper-course/

I hung out in my hotel there for several days afterward, then drove over to Mae Phim Beach, east of Rayong, for a couple days (where I'd been at the beginning of February). But I quickly started to feel bored with it, so drove back to BKK yesterday. Then I learned BKK will become a "dark red zone" again starting tomorrow, which includes the order to not leave "unless necessary;" which is, of course, pretty vague. But since I just got back, I don't really feel like leaving again right away. And the last "lockdown" was actually not that burdensome....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I hung out in my hotel there for several days afterward, then drove over to Mae Phim Beach, east of Rayong, for a couple days (where I'd been at the beginning of February). But I quickly started to feel bored with it, so drove back to BKK yesterday. Then I learned BKK will become a "dark red zone" again starting tomorrow, which includes the order to not leave "unless necessary;" which is, of course, pretty vague. But since I just got back, I don't really feel like leaving again right away. And the last "lockdown" was actually not that burdensome....

Thank you. I will read it with interest later.

3 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Great story on your blog about the sailing course. I enjoyed reading it a lot. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Pattya is deep red also and I went to Sri Ratcha the other day no checkpoints 

5 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

If you want to turbo charge your learning curve join a yacht racing club they are always looking for crew, no racing experience. 

Island Spirit does a great job with their classes.  They also have some great sails out of Koh Chang.  Not sure they're running now, but normally, have 4 days cruises over to Kut and Mak.  Beautiful.  Mostly on cats.

16 hours ago, Aomelia said:

Pattya is deep red also and I went to Sri Ratcha the other day no checkpoints

Chonburi Province is deep red

Both Pattaya and Sri Ratcha are located within Chonburi

You never left the province, therefore no checkpoint

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Have you found one or more good ones? That is, QUIET, nice, etc. Where, how much...? Thx

Yes AcQua and The Vision do you want my agents number , he’s on Line Techrentals Pattaya I’ve been doing it for 9 months moved only once

2 hours ago, Aomelia said:

Yes AcQua and The Vision do you want my agents number , he’s on Line Techrentals Pattaya I’ve been doing it for 9 months moved only once

When staying in Air B n B's, what do you do about TM30 registration? 

55 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Go north young Marco Polo... see the real Thailand, country people.

I've lived in LOS 15 years and spent a month here every year since 1990. I've seen quite a bit, but no, have never really spent much time with rural Thais. Did this in 2018 for example:

https://davesrave.net/IsaanAndNorthThai/IsaanNorthThai.html

Sometimes I think about helping with rice harvest or something, but then not sure I'm really into it. 

I've actually been ready for my usual break from Asia since around the time covid started last year. So now I'm extra ready for a break, and am considering it, despite the difficulty in coming back.

Also, I just spent a month driving around south Thailand, which I blogged about in recent (March) blogs on my site davesrave.net, if you're interested.

2 hours ago, Aomelia said:

I guess you've only stayed in Pattaya area? I'm actually not very interested in Pattaya/Jomtien right now....

25 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Sometimes I think about helping with rice harvest or something, but then not sure I'm really into it

Rice farming is not exactly a fun activity... but up to you.. if you need something to write about in your blog.. 

I lived in a small village for 15+ years and my family even stopped farming rice when they figured out that it was easier to grow something more profitable and buy the rice... however, for me, I loved living in the village, learning the language, customs, being part of a large family, unique ways of thought - truly another way to look at life... 

• Like 1

If Honey House 3 is open, check with the coffee drinkers at the front and some may be able to tell you

where there are some condos for rent on a monthly basis.  The guest house hotel is on Chaiyapruek road

+66 (0) 82-782-8103, to see if they are open for business. or  phone 038- 232- 515

It is about 100 meters from the beach front road, where there is a police station across from the intersection

of Chaiyapruek.   I did enjoy the 10  baht buses, if they were not very crowded, and the night market.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
error

Thanks for all the tips and info guys. But as I'm now back in the Big Mango, I'm no longer following.

BTW, I did ride my bike around Naklua one day, refamiliarizing myself with the area and even saw some parts I'd not before. But in the end was underwhelmed, so drove back to Mae Phim Beach east of Rayong for a few days, until deciding to go back to the city. Was just sort of tired of living in hotels. But after a few weeks here, I'll probably be up for some new adventure. Cheers.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:40 PM, Aomelia said:

Yes, please. Always looking for places to refer to visiting friends. Thanks. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/30/2021 at 6:19 AM, OliverKlozerof said:

Whilst recovering from minor surgery I've finally had time to read your vlog. Very interesting & well written. Thanks for the link.