Which tyres to replace stock tyres on Yamaha XSR155?

MaiDong

I'm looking to change the tyres on my XSR155, I'm not sure what they are, but they're lacking in grip a little, I've found some Avon Trailrider tyres but they're B10,000 a pair, seems a little steep.

I read on here in a past thread that Avons were a harder compound so not ideal in wet conditions, but Avon tyres Thailand said that's not the case, that they were just longer lasting...

I'm looking for some scrambler-style tyres, for both road and track, but much more road than track, so nobblies are not suitable, any experiences with these types of tyres locally?

Edited by MaiDong

Oh come do some reading you don't need Avon tyres there for the likes of R1's. 

Deestone will do just the job for your bike and cost compared to Avons is factions.

My scoot Deestone tyre 570 baht my 4th one over 14 years.

IMG_20210426_170426.thumb.jpg.0326e18031c5d870d03325112d41069f.jpg

Good for 150 kmh.

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Oh come do some reading you don't need Avon tyres there for the likes of R1's. 

Deestone will do just the job for your bike and cost compared to Avons is factions.

My scoot Deestone tyre 570 baht my 4th one over 14 years.

IMG_20210426_170426.thumb.jpg.0326e18031c5d870d03325112d41069f.jpg

Good for 150 kmh.

It's about the looks though, I don't want a regular looking tyre, I'm after something more scrambler-like(as I said in the OP).

The XSR155 in the pic below is wearing Avon Trailriders, I think they really suit the bike.

I'm asking if anybody has any experience with dual-purpose tyres here i Thailand, which tyres they've used, and how they performed in the wet, on dirt roads, and in general wear & tear.

177822835_304589734368896_1355164730582798789_n.png

Edited by MaiDong
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you would tell us which tire size you need the chance to get answers would increase.

Yep, here it is: 110/70-17 & 140/70-17, but... Avon Thailand said their Trailriders, sized 120/70-17 & 150/60-17, would be fine...

I just thought if someone said 'this brand' worked well in these particular ways, I could search to see if they had tyres in Thailand that fit my bike ????

Edited by MaiDong

5 hours ago, MaiDong said:

with these types of tyres locally?

Not sure where you are,

but if Pattaya:

iMoto.

Super knowledgeable, competent,

good pricing

/////

XRS155 is really cool bike.

Don't see many on the road.

Edited by papa al

1 minute ago, papa al said:

Not sure where you are,

but if Pattaya:

iMoto.

good pricing.

I'm in Bangkok, but thanks for the suggestion, I'll see what their online presence is like ????

3 minutes ago, papa al said:

Not sure where you are,

but if Pattaya:

iMoto.

good pricing

/////

XRS155 is really cool bike.

Don't see many on the road.

Thanks, yeah, I love it, it's a tidy little bike, perhaps lacking that sweet sound of a big bike, and killer top speed(although I clocked a healthy 133 last week, which was plenty for me!), but the looks are spot-on & the handling is perfect, I just found myself sliding about a bit a few days ago, and I shouldn't have been sliding around at the speeds I was travelling at, so new tyres are my next little upgrade ????

1 hour ago, MaiDong said:

110/70-17 & 140/70-17

The style of tires that you want are usually used on adventure bikes, most are bigger, and usually they have a 19 or 21 inch front wheel.

So obviously your choices are limited and to find a front and rear from the same model will be even more difficult, and then for cheap...

120/70-17 is what the older models of the Honda CB500X had, so there should be some options in this size.

But the CB500X has a 160 wide rear, which is probably too wide.

150/70-17 rear is found on the Triumph Tiger 800, so in this size there are also a few options, and it should work on your bike. For example a Mitas E08. But for the front this tire only comes in 19 and 21 inch.

If I were you I would not spend 10k on a pair of tires which are for way bigger bikes, and just get some 100% street tires instead. Way easier to find, cheaper, and offer better performance on the street anyway.

Continental TKC 70 (TKC 80 as well) is available in the sizes I mentioned above, but costs 12500 for the pair ????

Edited by jackdd

I'm asking if anybody has any experience with dual-purpose tyres here i Thailand,

Dunlop Trailmax I found good on and semi off road.

They were about 5000 baht memory and stocked in Thailand.

These below Dunlop Trailmax as but another type. D605.

395691994_download(8).jpg.e700c989b4f0ebf67d8da47b3eddd405.jpg

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

The style of tires that you want are usually used on adventure bikes, most are bigger, and usually they have a 19 or 21 inch front wheel.

So obviously your choices are limited and to find a front and rear from the same model will be even more difficult, and then for cheap...

120/70-17 is what the older models of the Honda CB500X had, so there should be some options in this size.

But the CB500X has a 160 wide rear, which is probably too wide.

150/70-17 rear is found on the Triumph Tiger 800, so in this size there are also a few options, and it should work on your bike. For example a Mitas E08. But for the front this tire only comes in 19 and 21 inch.

If I were you I would not spend 10k on a pair of tires which are for way bigger bikes, and just get some 100% street tires instead. Way easier to find, cheaper, and offer better performance on the street anyway.

Continental TKC 70 (TKC 80 as well) is available in the sizes I mentioned above, but costs 12500 for the pair ????

Thanks for the advice, so do you think that XSR155 in the pic above will have suffered slightly in handling by putting a 150 on the rear instead of it's original 140? Enough for me not to consider it?

I love the look of those Conti's, 12.5k is a high price to pay though...And they appear to come in 150 rear also...so if I was prepared to put a larger tyre on the back I might as well go for the Avon's at 2.5k cheaper.

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Dunlop Trailmax I found good on and semi off road.

They were about 5000 baht memory and stocked in Thailand.

These below Dunlop Trailmax as but another type. D605.

395691994_download(8).jpg.e700c989b4f0ebf67d8da47b3eddd405.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, but they're too nobbly, I ride mostly on road but want to be able to handle the occasional track that I come across, these are full on countryside tyres ????

Thanks for the suggestion, but they're too nobbly, I ride mostly on road but want to be able to handle the occasional track that I come across, these are full on countryside tyres ????

There's different types of Dunlop Trailmax sold here in Thailand at Big bike Honda dealers they put them on 500x bikes I put them on a Versys 650 I had.

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

There's different types of Dunlop Trailmax sold here in Thailand at Big bike Honda dealers they put them on 500x bikes I put them on a Versys 650 I had.

I just googled it, and yes, there are some nice tyres, thanks, I'll have a closer look ????

• Like 1