Bangkok Pattaya Hospital..Where is the Care?...

steviekes

With your lack of knowledge of this area, with respect, what is your interest in this discussion?

I'm considering retiring in Thailand but I haven't decided where. Whilst I've been lucky enough to stay clear of hospitals so far in my life, that situation might not last and so hospital care and the quality of medical facilities in general, in Thailand, is of concern to me. However, if I were to need expensive treatment that was not critically urgent, I'd hop on a plane back to Australia.

I didn't realise there were a number of private hopitals in Pattaya. Is BPH the only one that pays operators to bring accident victims to its emergency section?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't realise there were a number of private hopitals in Pattaya. Is BPH the only one that pays operators to bring accident victims to its emergency section?

I don't believe BHP or any other hospital pay for patients to be delivered. This I really want confirmed.

Of another concern

Mods surely there should be an age limitation or posting with parental consent.

It's a school day tomorrow

Respectfully

Children should be in bed!!

Edited by MP5

With your lack of knowledge of this area, with respect, what is your interest in this discussion?

I'm considering retiring in Thailand but I haven't decided where. Whilst I've been lucky enough to stay clear of hospitals so far in my life, that situation might not last and so hospital care and the quality of medical facilities in general, in Thailand, is of concern to me. However, if I were to need expensive treatment that was not critically urgent, I'd hop on a plane back to Australia.

I have read all of your threads even I'm trying to avoid to but with your line of thinking you should stay away from Pattaya or from Thailand for that matter and other asian countries as well. Here, it's survival of the fittest where the rich becomes richer (like BPH) and the poor becomes poorer. Your money is very well welcome here but not you. Sad to say, you are better off to stay in Australia...

I don't believe BHP or any other hospital pay for patients to be delivered. This I really want confirmed.

Of another concern

Respectfully

ask your thai neighbours...

Of another concern

Respectfully

Ask them what? Do you know if the SB get paid a fee for delivering patients to hospitals.

Just say this presumtion is proven wrong!

Of another concern

Respectfully

Ask them what? Do you know if the SB get paid a fee for delivering patients to hospitals.

Just say this presumtion is proven wrong!

so just wait until someone tells you.

it has been mentioned here a few times but if you don't believe us then what can we do?

I have read all of your threads even I'm trying to avoid to but with your line of thinking you should stay away from Pattaya or from Thailand for that matter and other asian countries as well. Here, it's survival of the fittest where the rich becomes richer (like BPH) and the poor becomes poorer. Your money is very well welcome here but not you. Sad to say, you are better off to stay in Australia...

Survival of the fittest applies everywhere. That was a term coined by Charles Darwin in the middle of the 19th century and as far as I can see it still applies.

My money is welcome but I'm not?? That sounds weird. Not even BPH would have that attitude, I'm sure.

it has been mentioned here a few times but if you don't believe us then what can we do?

Lets deal in facts

That's the problem we end up arguing/discussing hearsay in so many cases.

You can do nothing either way if your right I'm wrong I apologise

If I'm correct and No fee is paid you'll still believe it.

That's the difference

Survival of the fittest applies everywhere. That was a term coined by Charles Darwin in the middle of the 19th century and as far as I can see it still applies.

My money is welcome but I'm not?? That sounds weird. Not even BPH would have that attitude, I'm sure.

tsk, tsk ,tsk... you do not have any idea what's like in here... :o

Lets deal in facts

That's the problem we end up arguing/discussing hearsay in so many cases.

You can do nothing either way if your right I'm wrong I apologise

If I'm correct and No fee is paid you'll still believe it.

That's the difference

sorry mate but it's not an hearsay.... my own wife also told me the same thing that i didn't believe her the first time.

sorry mate but it's not an hearsay.... my own wife also told me the same thing that i didn't believe her the first time.

Again I'll apologise if I'm wrong

Would you?

Edited by MP5

Would you?

be it your mission to find out and whatever is the result post it here in this forum then let's see maybe i'll give you a prize if you are right...

Edited by thai_narak

Would you?

be it your mission to find out and whatever is the result post it here in this forum then let's see maybe i'll give you a prize if you are right...

Edited by MP5

Where's here? Pattaya or Thailand in general? I feel I have a bond with the country. I lived in Bangkok 43 years ago for about 15 months. I even had a work permit. My first girl friend was a Thai (and not a bar girl but one of my students. I used to teach English).

Where's here? Pattaya or Thailand in general? I feel I have a bond with the country. I lived in Bangkok 43 years ago for about 15 months. I even had a work permit. My first girl friend was a Thai (and not a bar girl but one of my students. I used to teach English).

in general i guess... please don't get me wrong i like thailand as well. i've been here for 15 years, have family, properties, friends, etc. and yes a lot of farang have bonds here but there is also a reality that we have to face, as farang we will never be accepted as thai and most thai people look at us as rich people. unfortunately, sometimes they try to milk us like cows... do you know that in thailand a farang has to pay more almost anywhere? this is also true in some hospitals like BPH. farang rate/thai rate...

in general i guess... please don't get me wrong i like thailand as well. i've been here for 15 years, have family, properties, friends, etc. and yes a lot of farang have bonds here but there is also a reality that we have to face, as farang we will never be accepted as thai and most thai people look at us as rich people. unfortunately, sometimes they try to milk us like cows... do you know that in thailand a farang has to pay more almost anywhere? this is also true in some hospitals like BPH. farang rate/thai rate...

Yes I know farangs are often charged more. I believe it's similar in most underdeveloped counties. You just have to stand your ground, but sometimes it's not worth the hassle if it's a small amount of money involved. I've considered living in Suphanburi where they pride themselves on charging the farang the same price as the locals, but apparently they are so correct in Suphanburi they don't allow any bars :D .

On the May 13th meeting of the Pattaya Expat Club the meeeting manager said that Bangkok Pattaya Hospital confirmed to him that volunteer ambulance crews are paid a "bounty" for those brought to the hospital by them. In light of recent publicity that may or may not be the case today.

On the May 13th meeting of the Pattaya Expat Club the meeeting manager said that Bangkok Pattaya Hospital confirmed to him that volunteer ambulance crews are paid a "bounty" for those brought to the hospital by them. In light of recent publicity that may or may not be the case today.

you mean after matt's incident BPH will not pay SB for bounty anymore?

you mean after matt's incident BPH will not pay SB for bounty anymore?

Most private hospitals in Thailand pay rescue workers for bringing their accident victems to the hospital. This has been a long standing practice, and the ministry of health has tried several times to do away with these practices without success.

BHP has four different ways in charging patients, and a foreigner with a tourist visa gets charged the most. A Thai that is registered in Chonburi gets charged the least.

Barry

I leave you alone for a few days and what happens?

This thread has been well and truly hijacked!

Mobi! Wake up! We need you!!!

I don't agree, in the last few pages of this thread (not this page) we have been back to the main issues that have been raised as a result of the tragic circumstances surround Matt's death.

1. Good discussions and questions surrounding why BHP could not (or would not) supply enough of Matt's blood type. And this being the case what about the rest of us farangs living in Pattaya?

2. BHP paying a 200 baht bounty to the rescue services when they bring accident and emergency victims to their hospital.

I have heard this from many sources and it was confirmed at the meeting at the ex-pat club in Pattaya that this is the general practice when Matt's case was discussed recently (and they probably did get paid for delivering Matt to BHP).

3. Why did BHP decide to move Matt in a critical condition to another (much inferiour) hospital 1 hour away?

Their statements do not adequately answer any of these issues.

Matt was medically insured and according to the BHP statment they had spoken to his father in America so they must have known that there was not an issue with payment in Matt's case so there must have been other reasons for sending him on a trip which lead to his death.

As a farang living in the Pattaya area I feel very strongly that these issues should be addressed by BHP for the safety and peace of mind of all people living and visiting Pattaya; any one of us could be involved in an accident or emergency situation.

I and my family will not be using this hospital or any of its services in the meantime.

I don't agree, in the last few pages of this thread (not this page) we have been back to the main issues that have been raised as a result of the tragic circumstances surround Matt's death.

1. Good discussions and questions surrounding why BHP could not (or would not) supply enough of Matt's blood type. And this being the case what about the rest of us farangs living in Pattaya?

2. BHP paying a 200 baht bounty to the rescue services when they bring accident and emergency victims to their hospital.

I have heard this from many sources and it was confirmed at the meeting at the ex-pat club in Pattaya that this is the general practice when Matt's case was discussed recently (and they probably did get paid for delivering Matt to BHP).

3. Why did BHP decide to move Matt in a critical condition to another (much inferiour) hospital 1 hour away?

Matt was medically insured and according to the BHP statment they had spoken to his father in America so they must have known that there was not an issue with payment in Matt's case so there must have been other reasons for sending him on a trip which lead to his death.

As a farang living in the Pattaya area I feel very strongly that these issues should be addressed by BHP for the safety and peace of mind of all people living and visiting Pattaya; any one of us could be involved in an accident or emergency situation.

I and my family will not be using this hospital or any of its services in the meantime.

I agree, Emcross.

A 200 Baht bounty? Big deal! One would expect, at the very least, some small contribution to the upkeep of the volunteer, makeshift ambulance brigade.

The accusation that has appeared several times in this thread is that BPH is sort of bribing these rescuers to bring accident victims to them, so that BPH can profit from the insurance that such people may or may not carry. If it so happens that they don't have any medical insurance, then it's off to the Chonburi with them. If this is true, then it's a disgrace and should be sorted one way or another.

However, I see no compelling evidence in this thread that this is indeed the case. Instead we have lots of anecdotes suggesting that BPH administrators are rather aggressive in their demands for payment (big surprise! This is a business after all), and other anecdotes illustrating mistakes and misdiagnosis which can and do happen in all hospitals.

The accusation that has appeared several times in this thread is that BPH is sort of bribing these rescuers to bring accident victims to them, so that BPH can profit from the insurance that such people may or may not carry. If it so happens that they don't have any medical insurance, then it's off to the Chonburi with them. If this is true, then it's a disgrace and should be sorted one way or another.

This is reality, why won't you get it?

A 200 Baht bounty? Big deal! One would expect, at the very least, some small contribution to the upkeep of the volunteer, makeshift ambulance brigade.

However, I see no compelling evidence in this thread that this is indeed the case. Instead we have lots of anecdotes suggesting that BPH administrators are rather aggressive in their demands for payment (big surprise! This is a business after all), and other anecdotes illustrating mistakes and misdiagnosis which can and do happen in all hospitals.

Dear Barry,

If you are looking for proof, you wont find it here.

I and others have had VERY bad experiences with this hospital, and if you are not willing to accept my and other stories then I do not understand what for god's sake you are doing on this forum.

We are DISCUSSING bad things, not investigating them, that's not the role of this forum, and even tough I admit not accepting anything at face value myself, then the fact that the overall majority of posters, not only here but other threads as well, are very negative about this hospital should start to at least tell you that where there is smoke there must be fire.

And don't forget that for many thais 200 Baht is indeed money'.

I could tell you stories about this hospital that would make this a much to long post, but let me tell you, even if my life depended on it I would NEVER EVER set foot in this commercial enterprise again. Is that a strong enough sentiment for you?

When and if you are in Pattaya in the near future send me a PM and I'll be glad to meet you over a quiet beer or 2 to tell you the stories I have witnessed and been the victim of myself.

Anyway in a 30 km radius there are at least 5 hospitals that do a better job than BPH and for a lot less money.

Cheers

onzestan

I agree, Emcross.

Please read the thread more carefully then. I provided an account of them doing exactly that. Briefly, my wife's friend was taken there so the rescue service men could claim their payment. He then lay there untreated (in spite of his very serious condition, which the hospital felt, correctly as it turned out, probably included haemorraging (sp?) of the brain) for 90 minutes until I arrived. Although I paid for emergency treatment (the bill for which topped 20,000 baht inside 30 minutes) when I explained I wasn't responsible for this man, they told us to take him to Chonburi (they wouldn't send him unless I paid for an ambulance, which I did).

By all means raise issues, but don't blindly support a hospital that clearly you know little about. Many of us have lived in Pattaya for many years and know first hand from bitter personal experience exactly what the place is like.

On the question of evidence, having been a practicising trial lawyer for many years, I have a reasonable take on that too. The evidence on this thread is actually extremely compelling. In truth, if this was a med neg trial in a common law jurisdiction, the very fact that a high end hospital with a self proclaimed state of the art trauma centre admits to sending a critically injured trauma patient such as Matt to a hospital as basic as Chonburi would probably be subject to the doctrine of Res Ipsa Loquitor (the facts speak for themselves is the rough translation). In very simple terms, the effect of it would be that the burden of proof would shift from the plaintiff to the defendent. Their actions appear so clearly to be wrong that it would fall to the defendent to explain them, and I find it very hard to believe that any Court would accept the blood argument from a trauma centre (which, as someone earlier explained, is about as convincing as a pub with no beer, i.e just about possible, but extremely unlikely).

In most cases the rule tends to be the most simple explanation is usually the right one. Knowing BPH from prior personal experience, the simple explanation in Matt's case would be pretty much the same as what happened to my wife's friend. Simple would seem to be, delivered by rescuers in return for payment, no ID, no wallet or money, no friend to agree to cover the cost, thus BPH not interested and off to the Government hospital in Chonburi. Maybe I am wrong, but in the absence of anything further, it seems by far and away the most likely explanation. If BPH could show me a similar case where a fully insured patient was shipped off for treatment to Chonburi hospital while critical, I would be far more inclined to believe their claims. I doubt very much whether they could do so.

By all means raise issues, but don't blindly support a hospital that clearly you know little about. Many of us have lived in Pattaya for many years and know first hand from bitter personal experience exactly what the place is like.

On the question of evidence, having been a practicising trial lawyer for many years, I have a reasonable take on that too. The evidence on this thread is actually extremely compelling. In truth, if this was a med neg trial in a common law jurisdiction, the very fact that a high end hospital with a self proclaimed state of the art trauma centre admits to sending a critically injured trauma patient such as Matt to a hospital as basic as Chonburi would probably be subject to the doctrine of Res Ipsa Loquitor (the facts speak for themselves is the rough translation). In very simple terms, the effect of it would be that the burden of proof would shift from the plaintiff to the defendent. Their actions appear so clearly to be wrong that it would fall to the defendent to explain them, and I find it very hard to believe that any Court would accept the blood argument from a trauma centre (which, as someone earlier explained, is about as convincing as a pub with no beer, i.e just about possible, but extremely unlikely).

In most cases the rule tends to be the most simple explanation is usually the right one. Knowing BPH from prior personal experience, the simple explanation in Matt's case would be pretty much the same as what happened to my wife's friend. Simple would seem to be, delivered by rescuers in return for payment, no ID, no wallet or money, no friend to agree to cover the cost, thus BPH not interested and off to the Government hospital in Chonburi. Maybe I am wrong, but in the absence of anything further, it seems by far and away the most likely explanation. If BPH could show me a similar case where a fully insured patient was shipped off for treatment to Chonburi hospital while critical, I would be far more inclined to believe their claims. I doubt very much whether they could do so.

I'm not blindly supporting the BPH hospital. I've heard enough in this thread to cause me to stay clear of this hospital should I ever be unfortunate enough to fall sick in Pattaya.

What I'm supporting is the principle of "innocent until proved guilty" and the principle that "circumstantial evidence can never be conclusive".

There are two issues in this thread; one, that the BPH has a poor record of care in the eyes of a relatively few ex-pats, and two, Matt's death is just another example, but a very serious example, of this poor care.

You'll notice a few posts ago, I wrote that if Matt did not have a rare blood type, then it's difficult to appreciate any reason why he should have been transferred to Chonburi. We need further explanation from the hospital on this issue which might not be as black and white as some of you seem to think. I presume that all blood groups do not fall into the category of either rare or not rare. There are probably some groups that are quite rare, moderately rare or not particularly common.

This is reality, why won't you get it?

Maybe because you appear to look exactly like Jack Nicholson but I think you are not Jack Nicholson therefore I'm suspicious :o .

Really chilling that my life might depend on a 200 baht BRIBE to a driver for taking me to BPH and not somewhere else. Maybe I should care a note that it is 300 to another place?

I think we did not discuss a detail that was in the thread a few days ago. In the case of the pregnant woman an administrator appeared to have a critical role in denying or allowing but at least in postponing life-saving treatment. If I do not misunderstand the BPH's statements, no such administrator or any comparable role was indicated. I "SUSPECT" that administrators are present in any such case. I conclude that the BPH statement is hiding this and that it is misleading about the decision making in Matt's case. We should not attribute too much credubility to such people. To me the whole medical argument is a farce and it appears an attempt to cover up the real decision process in place. Evidently, doctors helped but administrators ruled. I wonder if they have a paper trail.

I'm not blindly supporting the BPH hospital. I've heard enough in this thread to cause me to stay clear of this hospital should I ever be unfortunate enough to fall sick in Pattaya.

What I'm supporting is the principle of "innocent until proved guilty" and the principle that "circumstantial evidence can never be conclusive".

There are two issues in this thread; one, that the BPH has a poor record of care in the eyes of a relatively few ex-pats, and two, Matt's death is just another example, but a very serious example, of this poor care.

You'll notice a few posts ago, I wrote that if Matt did not have a rare blood type, then it's difficult to appreciate any reason why he should have been transferred to Chonburi. We need further explanation from the hospital on this issue which might not be as black and white as some of you seem to think. I presume that all blood groups do not fall into the category of either rare or not rare. There are probably some groups that are quite rare, moderately rare or not particularly common.

Dear Barry.

Allow me to disagree.

This is an english language forum. The english-native speakers are not the only ones living in Pattaya.

There are a lot of Germans, French, Skandinavian, Dutch, Belgians etc. etc. people living here, and maybe to your surprise a lot of Thais also that are NOT members of this forum.

I speak and write english, dutch, german and french and know a lot of people from these non-english speaking background. If there is one thing in common with all these groups, is that not many of them have anything good to say about this "hospital?"

Once again we are discussing here not investigating, and believe me the unfortunate dead of Matt is just the icing on the cake and has roused at least this forum enough that tempers are rising and more and more people boycott BPH.

Cheers

onzestan

Dear Barry.

Allow me to disagree.

This is an english language forum. The english-native speakers are not the only ones living in Pattaya.

There are a lot of Germans, French, Skandinavian, Dutch, Belgians etc. etc. people living here, and maybe to your surprise a lot of Thais also that are NOT members of this forum.

I speak and write english, dutch, german and french and know a lot of people from these non-english speaking background. If there is one thing in common with all these groups, is that not many of them have anything good to say about this "hospital?"

Once again we are discussing here not investigating, and believe me the unfortunate dead of Matt is just the icing on the cake and has roused at least this forum enough that tempers are rising and more and more people boycott BPH.

Cheers

onzestan

Onzestan,

If what you say is true, it's difficult to imagine how they could continue in business. My first impression was that BPH was the only private hospital in Pattaya. Phil Connors advises me there are also a few other private hospitals, as well as a few public hospitals. Let the market determine the outcome. Word of mouth advertising, whether positive or negative, can be very powerful.

But remember also that bad news is usually more interesting than good news. We seem to be fascinated by scandals and disasters. As I mentioned before, my mother spent her working life as a nurse in the U.K. in several hospitals, eventually becoming a mid-wife. The impression I got from the daily anecdotes over say a 12 year periiod was that all hospitals are places of chaotic disaster. Consider yourself lucky if things go right.