Arrival Question

I will soon be flying to Bangkok from The Phillipines on a return ticket valid for a maximum of 3 months. I once read somewhere that this may not gurarantee entry to Thailand unless I have an onward ticket to the UK or other western country of origin.

Is this true? And if so is there a way around it? I have no immidiate plans to return to the UK as I have not resided there in over 4 years though it is likely I will return to the Phillipines within the 3 months.

If I DO have to book an onward interational flight as proof, I don't own a credit card (learned that lesson!) so what is the best thing to do?

Or is a return ticket from a neighbouring Asian country sufficient?

Thankd in adv.

Edited by Shoeboat

Your concern is when you re-enter Thailand, I understand, it is unlikely you will be asked at Thai immigration for an onward ticket but you possibly could get problems when you check in with the airline in the Phillipines if you do not have a visa for Thailand. If you have a visa to enter Thailand then no problems.

As the airline is responsible for returning you to the point of origin if you are not allowed to enter Thailand they can insist on you having an onward ticket.

Simplest solution is to be in possession of a visa but an advance purchase of a budget fare to a neighbouring country is also a solution.

There are a number of threads on this subject in the "Visas for Thailand" forum.

Ah, no no no I won't be re-entering Thailand... I flew to the Phillipines 2 months ago on a rtn from Hong Kong but I extended my visa here and never used the return ticket back to HK.

So I will be arriving in Thailand on a return ticket meaning I have a return ticket to the Phillipines (valid 90 days).

Sorry, I should've clarified that.

Edited by Shoeboat

Ah, no no no I won't be re-entering Thailand... I flew to the Phillipines 2 months ago on a rtn from Hong Kong but I extended my visa here and never used the return ticket back to HK.

So I will be arriving in Thailand on a return ticket meaning I have a return ticket to the Phillipines (valid 90 days).

Then you will have no problems entering Thailand, you have a ticket out. As you intend to stay upto 3 months then it would be easier for you to get a Tourist visa before you leave the Phillipines which will give you 2 months, extendable in country for another 30 days which will save you doing border runs every 30 days.

You may have the problem of no onward ticket when you return to Phillipines though but I guess you will check that.

You may have the problem of no onward ticket when you return to Phillipines though but I guess you will check that.

I'll worry about that nearer the time. :o

R.e. The visa, I am nowhere near Manila otherwise that would be a good idea.

Thanks again MA. :D

I'll worry about that nearer the time. :o

R.e. The visa, I am nowhere near Manila otherwise that would be a good idea.

Thanks again MA. :D

Then we assume you are arriving and are going for a visa exempt stamp for 30 days and doing two border runs for the other two 30 days stamps.

You are unlikely to encounter problems at BKK but, as ha been said, the airline may not let you board without an onward ticket within the 30 days. Also you will certainly encounter problems if you do the two border runs across land crossing like Aranyaprathet/Poipet.

You are unlikely to encounter problems at BKK but, as ha been said, the airline may not let you board without an onward ticket within the 30 days. Also you will certainly encounter problems if you do the two border runs across land crossing like Aranyaprathet/Poipet.

I may only need one visa run, I am going out in a couple of days and my girlfriend will come out to see me roughly a month later for a holiday before returning to the Phillipines. I have a couple of job oppertunities in Bangkok though if they turn out to be unsuitable or illegitimate I will return to the Phillipines and if love still blossoms, get married.

I have not done a Thai visa run since 2004 but I used to do the Poipet with Jacks Golf tours from Asoke Soi 11, or was it 12?

Why are there now problems at those boarder points and what is a safe or more viable alternative? It is nigh on impossible to sort out a visa in Manila before flying. (I will fly from Clark nr Angeles)

I may only need one visa run, I am going out in a couple of days and my girlfriend will come out to see me roughly a month later for a holiday before returning to the Phillipines. I have a couple of job oppertunities in Bangkok though if they turn out to be unsuitable or illegitimate I will return to the Phillipines and if love still blossoms, get married.

I have not done a Thai visa run since 2004 but I used to do the Poipet with Jacks Golf tours from Asoke Soi 11, or was it 12?

Why are there now problems at those boarder points and what is a safe or more viable alternative? It is nigh on impossible to sort out a visa in Manila before flying. (I will fly from Clark nr Angeles)

It has been reported by several forum members that the land border crossings immigration officials ask to see an onward or return ticket of some form dated within thirty days before they'll give you the thirty day visa exemption stamp. Some have used a BKK to Penang (I think) rail ticket that is partially (80%?) refundable if unused.

I just reread your OP and note your ticket is valid for maximum of three months. Does this mean it is an open return with no date. If it is you should check with AirAsia or Cebu Pacific or whoever whether they'll let you on the plane. You may have to book a return date and then change it once in Thailand to a date 30 days from your border run. That way you'll be covered for all eventualities.

Just some suggestions as I'll soon be in a similar position where it's very difficult to get to the Thai embassy for a visa but will be doing frequent R&R trips.