2000 Baht Fine For Driving Motorbike On Highway In Bangkok

Yesterday I was coming from North Thailand towards Pattaya. I tried to avoid it, but I had to drive through the heavy bangkok traffic. I tried to follow the signs for Chonburi and before I knew of it I was at the express toll way. We were where we to pay the fee and it was easy to come out. So a police man came over and asked for my driving license, which he kept untill I had paid. I was told he would keep my driving license for a week, and I could pick up at the police station paying the full fee after a week. A fee of 2000 baht. So I asked for address for the police station and asked for receives and got no answer. Also I did not see any name sign on his uniform. I finally called a thai friend. He helped talking with the police man. We made a compromise. I really felt I only had followed the signs and done nothing wrong.

Later the same day I really tried to avoid the super express highway. But I ended up anyway. I followed the thai drivers on motorbikes and all of a sudden there werent any. I was stopped on the middle of the highway between chonburi and bangkok. This time for sure I was wrong, because I had entered already. So I asked how much the fine was and he started talking about being in prison for 1 week. We had a long discussion. Again I noticed the missing name sign on his uniform. Arent the police suposed to have this sign? He wanted to take me to the police station and I said, ok lets go. Nothing happened and he talked about 1 week in thai prison. Again I called my thai friend and he talked with him. An other compromise was made.

As for now I still got my driving license in my pocket :o

It is really hard being on a motorbike in Bangkok. You cant follow the signs and you are stuck in an instant traffic jam.

What is this. Is Bangkok crazy? Are there other places in Thailand that one needs to be aware when driving a motorbike?

Thanks

Potter :D

Are there other places in Thailand that one needs to be aware when driving a motorbike?

:o

all of it ........................................

A safe place to ride your motorbike without fear of getting a ticket are the sidewalks of Bangkok.. One of the BIB are usually leading the procession..

Stoneman

• Haha 1

tollways are right out for bikes ...

and if you can't read Thai don't ride in BKK .... stop at a red light in the left lane where it says on a small blue sign to continue forwards and you'll get run over. Read a map BEFORE going anywhere and PLAN YOUR TRIP!

Chonburi provincial traffic cops are without a doubt the greediest and dodgiest force in the entire kingdom!

Over the last 11 years I've had many dealings with them, usually on some pumped up tea money charge verging on the ridiculous. It is no wonder that I've seen more dead bodies (RTA) on the A4 Bkk-Chonburi highway than anywhere else, and I drive a lot!

Get a car mate, tint the windows so your farang smile doesn't show, and you'll avoid them all together!

Get yourself a Garmin Zumo (GPS Sytem designed for M/C) set up the preferences for "No Toll Ways" and you'll be laughing, Im sure gadgetrend or Pantip would be able to get you one of these babys!

I have a Nuvi 310 in my car and I never worry about getting lost, going down the wrong street or getting home!!!

and if you can't read Thai don't ride in BKK ....

<deleted>!

Half the thai people out there can't read either!

That road into BKK from Pattaya is under a lot of construction. I'm sure many signs aren't in place.

But most highway signs are marked in english as well, though not always easy to decipher.

It's incredibly easy to get lost in BKK.

I've been on the freeways many times with my big motorcycle. I do know where I am though and when a cop waves at me I pretend not to see him.

They have managed to stop me twice by being sneaky. The rate for this infraction has been 500 baht on the spot. Leave your drivers license in your pocket as the 500 baht note doubles as drivers license. :o

When riding around BKK always have a purple bank note handy.

<deleted>!

That road into BKK from Pattaya is under a lot of construction. I'm sure many signs aren't in place.

But most highway signs are marked in english as well, though not always easy to decipher.

I've been on the freeways many times with my big motorcycle. I do know where I am though and when a cop waves at me I pretend not to see him.

They have managed to stop me twice by being sneaky. The rate for this infraction has been 500 baht on the spot. Leave your drivers license in your pocket as the 500 baht note doubles as drivers license. :o

I believe "half" is a slight exageration! The adult illiteracy rate in Thailand is only 4%.

But I agree motoring in BKK can get very challenging. I'm actually starting to get to know some areas. (after getting lost a few times)

A caveat about taking a motorcycle on the freeways, One farang I know about who just picked up him foreign plated FJ1200 a Don Muang got nabbed for ridding on the tollway. They squeezed him for 12000 baht! While thai licensed motocyclists usually get off for 300 baht and local farang 500 baht.

But you certainly don't "need" to read thai. You just need big <deleted>! :D

Edited by MrEarl

<deleted>!

I believe "half" is a slight exageration! The adult illiteracy rate in Thailand is only 4%.

But I agree motoring in BKK can get very challenging. I'm actually starting to get to know some areas. (after getting lost a few times)

A caveat about taking a motorcycle on the freeways, One farang I know about who just picked up him foreign plated FJ1200 a Don Muang got nabbed for ridding on the tollway. They squeezed him for 12000 baht! While thai licensed motocyclists usually get off for 300 baht and local farang 500 baht.

But you certainly don't "need" to read thai. You just need big <deleted>! :D

Better read ... or at least have a grasp on which intersections allow the left lane to continue on red ... or left on red etc :D

I have seen more wrecks in the left lanes of intersections ... and at least 50% were farang .... ok maybe less than 50% ... but many!

Its a dubious one. 2,000 baht is a rediculous fine in the first place. Anybody who is asked to pay that should head straight to the cop shop.

In BKK, the easiest rule to follow is dont be on the main highway on your motorbike. There are some exceptions, but if you dont know the route, stick to frontage road.

BKK can be a nightmare for those guys who dont know their way around (and this included ALL Thais outside their area of residence or work) but, thats the same in any big city right?!

Well done in calling your Thai friend to help you out. And at least you got back in one piece, so thats something. Next time, plan your route through the city meticulously. As someone posted above, a GPS for your motorcycle would be a godsend.

• 3 years later...

All toll roads are off limits to bikes. Occasional overpass bridges with prohibition signs in Bangkok are as well fro non toll roads. All motorbikes in Bangkok should stay in the left lane at all times except when making a right turn / U turn. Those are the basics.

All toll roads are off limits to bikes. Occasional overpass bridges with prohibition signs in Bangkok are as well fro non toll roads. All motorbikes in Bangkok should stay in the left lane at all times except when making a right turn / U turn. Those are the basics.

I never do that and am prepared to pay for it its just too dangerous in the left lane. Taxi's busses, vans all cutting in and stopping in front of you.

I'm sorry, but your story made me laugh. Caught on the express way, not once, but twice!

I would love to hear your Thai friend telling his friends this story. :D

2000baht fine is ridiculous. I am sure i have seen a sign somewhere that says the maximum fine for that offence is no more than 1000baht, and we all know the maximum fine is never enforced.

Get a map and take a look where you are going first... With the fine money you have just paid out, you could have bought a GPS.

I'm sorry, but your story made me laugh. Caught on the express way, not once, but twice!

2000baht fine is ridiculous. I am sure i have seen a sign somewhere that says the maximum fine for that offence is no more than 1000baht, and we all know the maximum fine is never enforced.

Get a map and take a look where you are going first... With the fine money you have just paid out, you could have bought a GPS.

Not so many GPS devices available for 3000 baht in 2007.

I am sure i have seen a sign somewhere that says the maximum fine for that offence is no more than 1000baht,

Yes there are MASSIVE signs up everywhere at toll road entries saying fine is 1000THB. How anyone on a bike would fall for it, and not just do a U-turn there and then is surprising.

Also noted underpasses on Ratchada have clear no-motorcycle signs and there was a cluster of bikes waiting in their avoiding the rain causing a hazard to two lane traffic. The riders know there are seldom any police near so care less.

I did laugh a little at this post, sorry OP, not being an ass, but not once but twice. Ok, so you don't need to be able to read Thai. All tollways are marked with bright blue signs with a picture of a two lane road on it. Simple as that. Don't go up there! Also, most but not all have signs showing a motorbike circled and crossed out. Don't go up there either! To go between Bangkok and Pattaya, stay on the Bang Na Trat motorway, but on the ground level. Don't go up the ramp! The ramps all have big blue signs for the tollway. You really aren't supposed to be on the motorway either, you should be on the frontage road, but when I drive it, I stay on the motorway. Most big bikes do also that I see.

Ok, so if you find yourself at a toll booth, why not either try to get through or just turn around? Sounds bad, but I see it so many times when I am in my car. BTW, 2000 is high, but you were clearly wrong both times. There is no such thing as prison time for that offence, he was just trying to scare you.

This is the sign that you avoid. Same as in the UK, I believe.

post-65746-0-97775100-1301995457_thumb.j

After almost 4 years it will probably be a distant memory.