Refused Visa !

My friend Ross sent me this information, i hope you find it usefull:

Hi,

This is for those of you who were interested in how we got on getting Mee's visa...

Firstly, we got her a passport a few months ago. We did this in Bangkok.

It cost 1000baht, and took about an hour. Once done, they'll ask you to come back in a few days to collect the passport, or you can arrange for them to post it on to you.

Then, I read over all the details for getting her a tourist visa on the British Embassy website:

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/Thailand

I printed out the application form (VAF1), filled it out in English on behalf of Mee, and sent it. I didn't send much in the way of supporting evidence - just the form, the photos and the application fee.

An appointment date came through. It said to bring a whole load of stuff, such as bank statements, photos and other evidence. As the date wasn't convenient, I called the Embassy to change the date, and went over the list of things they were asking for, to make sure I was going to send the right stuff. Knowing how things work in Thailand, it's likely that we would have travelled all the way to Bangkok for our interview, to be told we have to go find more documents. The guy was very helpful, and even said that one or two things on the list wouldn't actually be required in our case, which made things a lot easier.

I e-mailed back home and asked them to send a copy of a few things that they wanted:

- Proof of sufficient funds to support the visit. In this case, I sent my last six month's UK bank statements, showing that I actually have the money I stated was available in the application.

- Proof of somewhere to stay for the visit. In this case, Mum and Dad had been to visit in February, so they were able to send a 'thankyou'

card, saying they were looking forward to us coming over for a few months, which was sufficient. They also sent a few photographs of themselves with Mee, as proof that they had met.

So, we turned up for our interview just after 10am, and she was called to the interview room before 11am. I was told to wait outside. She came out at one point, and asked for my passport and work permit and disappeared back inside. She came out a little later and told she was waiting for a verdict. Then she was called back in and told the verdict

- she'd got it. They asked us to come back to collect her passport on Monday, but we said we couldn't stay in Bangkok fo the weekend, so they said they'd have it done by the end of the day (which for them, turned out to be 12pm). We'd got it within two hours. Nice'n'easy - unlike a lot of cases you hear about.

Later, on the way home, I asked her about the interview. The interview room was a small booth with a plastic screen between the interviewee and the interviewers (two people). One person sat and flicked through the paperwork the whole time without saying a word. The other person just asked loads of questions. Apperently, it went something like:

Them: Do you speak English?

Mee: Only a few words.

Them: OK, we'll conduct the interview in Thai. You must answer the following questions truthfully. If I think you're lying, I'll refuse your application. Understood?

Mee: OK

Them: How long have you known Ross?

Mee: 1 year 8 months.

Them: Where and how did you meet?

Mee: In Samui, while I was working in a massage shop. (etc)

Them: Have you met Ross's parents?

Mee: Yes

Them: When?

Mee: When they came to visit in February. (etc)

Them: What do Ross's mum and dad do for work?

Mee: Not sure.

Them: What do you do for a living?

Mee: Take care of Ross.

Them: How much money do you earn yourself?

Mee: None.

Them: Whose money do you use?

Mee: Ross's

Them: What does Ross do for a living?

Mee: Works as a computer programmer in Koh Samui?

Them: Who does he work for?

Mee: He has his own company, which works for kohsamui.com.

Them: Does he have a work permit?

Mee: Yes

(at this point, I think she came and got my work permit for proof)

Them: Do you have plans to marry?

Mee: Yes.

Them: When?

Mee: In two or three years time.

Them: Do you have plans to move to UK?

Mee: No.

And that was about it. We are only planning to go for two months, so we applied for three (in case of problems with the return flight or whatever). The visa given actually lasts six months, so if we wanted we could stay until December (nah!!).

Looking back, it wasn't all that hard, especially as we have a fairly decent case. It was just the effort involved in co-ordinating all the paperwork, and actually travelling for the interview. Apparently, in some cases, an interview isn't required (i.e. if they've been before, or if sufficient evidence is sent in advance). With hindsight, if I'd have known a bit more about exactly what they were looking for, and sent copies of everything (such as my work permit etc) in advance, we may not even have needed to go to Bangkok for the interview.

The work permit makes a world of difference for the British embassy. My GF did not even need an interview once they saw my work permit copy, employer letter etc.

The only question they asked is are you travelling out and back together - answer yes, visa approved in 5 minutes. Now she has multiple entry visa valid from emory for two years and has been with me about 4 times in last three years to UK.

At the time my GF was not working (but was a registered student doing higher diploma and had letter from her college), no assetts in Thailand etc.

Personally I have also been told that Pattaya addresses raise eyebrows. Dont forget their is a section on the form that states anybody involved in prostituion will be automatically declined as an unsuitable person for any visa.

Hope this helps

What's their definition of prostitution?

I think it means actively involved in prostitution. If she has worked in a bar, it is a good idea that she gets another job before the interview. Some people advise that you tell the truth about meeting your girlfriend in a bar - many people have got visa after admitting this. Others suggest being a little 'economical with the truth'. It they think you are lying then you will fail the visa interview.

The percentage of Thai women with UK settlement visas who were former bar-girls is quite high. Somewhere in the region of 50% would be a good guess. If you have a genuine relationship then you can expect to get a visa, but it may take longer if your girl-friend looks like she has worked in a bar or similar establishment.

Personally I have also been told that Pattaya addresses raise eyebrows. Dont forget their is a section on the form that states anybody involved in prostituion will be automatically declined as an unsuitable person for any visa.

Where and on which form? I've just looked at the pdf versions of the UK visa applications forms, VAF-1 and VAF-2, and also searched the site. I cannot find any reference to prostitution on the forms, and the search facility on the site, UK government visa site, returned no hits for prostitute, prostitution or "sex worker". (Searching for sex and worker as two words got a few hits, but the words were not connected in what I followed up.)

Are you thinking of Australia or the USA?

Personally I have also been told that Pattaya addresses raise eyebrows.  Dont forget their is a section on the form that states anybody involved in prostituion will be automatically declined as an unsuitable person for any visa.

Where and on which form? I've just looked at the pdf versions of the UK visa applications forms, VAF-1 and VAF-2, and also searched the site. I cannot find any reference to prostitution on the forms, and the search facility on the site, UK government visa site, returned no hits for prostitute, prostitution or "sex worker". (Searching for sex and worker as two words got a few hits, but the words were not connected in what I followed up.)

Are you thinking of Australia or the USA?

Its in the accompanying notes that get you with a visa application form from the BKK embassy from memory (although its 2 years since I last helped my GF complete one). Very carefull wording along the lines of "activity involving child trafficking and prostitution render themselves ineligable for entry to the UK" - This may have changed in more recent literaure but it was certainly there when I went through the process. I'll try and look up the form when I am back at home (currently travelling) and wil post exact wording.

It would be interesting to collect data on which months see the most visit visas (or indeed any visas) granted by the UK embassy in Bangkok, and which months see the least.

I think the time that you apply has a huge amount to do with it (quotas).

It would be interesting to collect data on which months see the most visit visas (or indeed any visas) granted by the UK embassy in Bangkok, and which months see the least.

That makes no sense at all.

Do you not think that more visas are applied for to visit UK in the lovely warm summer rather than the freezing cold winter.

Maybe i am wrong but would say that the UK actually WANTS to issue as many visas as possible to Thai visitors that in turn spend plenty of money. Called tourism:-)

It seems that the posts here relate to a 'category' of people that initially do not fulfil criteria laid down.

Statistics for refusals based on 'criteria' would be more interesting although unlikely to be forthcoming:-)

That makes no sense at all.

Do you not think that more visas are applied for to visit UK in the lovely warm summer rather than the freezing cold winter.

Maybe i am wrong but would say that the UK actually WANTS to issue as many visas as possible to Thai visitors that in turn spend plenty of money. Called tourism:-)

It seems that the posts here relate to a 'category' of people that initially do not fulfil criteria laid down.

Statistics for refusals based on 'criteria' would be more interesting although unlikely to be forthcoming:-)

Well, you're right - maybe you are wrong!

My (albeit small) experience with the UK visa dept. with regards to Thailand involves a family friend who used to head up the Embassy in Bangkok until 8 years ago, and then a personal friend who works within the consulate.

Both are happy to tell me that the UK doesn't want 'as many Thai visitors as possible' as you say, but rather 'have strict quotas to adhere to'.

Bear in mind that if you want to visit the UK in summer, you dont always apply in summer. Depending on the type of visa you want, and your personal plans (other travel, for example) you may find yourself wanting to visit the UK but applying in Winter. Or indeed Summer. Or indeed, at any time.

I agree other criteria would also be interesting, but it is not relevant to the point I am trying to make - that the British Embassy in Bangkok is more likely to grant visas at certain times of year.

Perhaps you misunderstood and thought I meant 'FOR certain times of year' rather than 'AT certain times of year'. :o

Back on topic, what exactly makes a visa application fail or succeed is at times far from clear. My gf was told before that me not going for the interview with her was an indication that it wasn't a serious relationship, then, when next time I did, they refused to let me participate, because it was HER application, not mine.

And people think Thai visa procedures are not clear...

Anyway, as already pointed out, spuds, your gf's visa has not been refused, and be careful how you approach again, once a visa is indeed refused, there is no point in applying again for some time after.