Pommie

fatter than harry

Where does this term come from? What does it mean?

I found this reference, but if it really comes from the word pomegranate then I don't feel half as derised as I thought I should have, anyone else have any ideas?

Origins: "Pommy" (or "pom" or "pommie") is a primarily Australian (and largely derisive) slang term used to indicate a recent immigrant from Great Britain, or a Brit in general. The origins of "pommy" having been lost in the mists of time, someone needed to cook up an etymology for it, preferably one equal to the pejorative sense of the word. Accordingly, we now have the story that criminals transported to Australia were designated "Prisoners of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" (some versions claim the convicts bore one of these legends printed on the backs of their shirts), and thus the acronym "POHM" or "POME" eventually evolved into the slang term "pom" or "pommy."

This amusing anecdote is doubtful as anything more than a fanciful invention, as acronymic origins antedating the mid-twentieth century are automatically suspect, and the use of "pommy" has been recorded at least as far back as 1915. Moreover, nobody has yet turned up corroborating evidence that "Prisoner of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" were actually common designations for criminals transported to Australia. The best guess at this time is that "pommy" was based on the word "pomegranate" -- either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because (like "Johnny Grant") it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant."

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you pommy bashing me Emuu? I thought the "then I don't feel half as derised as I thought I should have" comment might have given you a tip off. :o

Another version of the origins of Pommy:

Pommie - Slang for Brit. Although the origin of this word is unknown, it is reckoned to have come from the name of the first English immigrant Micheal Pommy, who went around Australia comparing everything he saw to what it was like in England. His remarks were then often met by the phrase "Then go sodding back to bloody England then, Pommy"

More in line with Beg's thread I think.

Are you pommy bashing me Emuu?
Who ... me??? :D
I heard somewhere once, it was derived from latin, meaning,' perfect man.'

Don't know how true it is, but sounds right.

Sounds like the compleat anal inversion to me! :D

you missed the word 'git'at the end of the topic

Sometimes subsituted for "bastard" but only in polite circles. :o

I'm actually of the opinion that it is a matter of social conditioning rather than an accident of birth. I say this because I'm an Aussie who at the age of 4 months (about 53 years ago) left Old Blighty with my family to grow up in the land of OZ, and I'm defititely an Aussie, not a Pom.

Of course, some of the expletives used against poms have also be used against me, so I can't be totally sure. :D

POM stands for Person Of Merit and refers to someone of a somewhat higher social standing than an Australian. :o

HA HA

stick that in your pie and smoke it :D

Aussie gits :D

ps, you should all know me by now and that last coment was meant as a joke before you all whip me. :D

Where does this term come from? What does it mean?

I found this reference, but if it really comes from the word pomegranate then I don't feel half as derised as I thought I should have, anyone else have any ideas?

Origins: "Pommy" (or "pom" or "pommie") is a primarily Australian (and largely derisive) slang term used to indicate a recent immigrant from Great Britain, or a Brit in general. The origins of "pommy" having been lost in the mists of time, someone needed to cook up an etymology for it, preferably one equal to the pejorative sense of the word. Accordingly, we now have the story that criminals transported to Australia were designated "Prisoners of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" (some versions claim the convicts bore one of these legends printed on the backs of their shirts), and thus the acronym "POHM" or "POME" eventually evolved into the slang term "pom" or "pommy."

This amusing anecdote is doubtful as anything more than a fanciful invention, as acronymic origins antedating the mid-twentieth century are automatically suspect, and the use of "pommy" has been recorded at least as far back as 1915. Moreover, nobody has yet turned up corroborating evidence that "Prisoner of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" were actually common designations for criminals transported to Australia. The best guess at this time is that "pommy" was based on the word "pomegranate" -- either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because (like "Johnny Grant") it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant."

Whatever have you started here FTH ? Every Ozzie digger will welcome the opportunity to do a little bit of Pom ( origin lost in the mists of time ) bashing

I heard a riciculous description of the creation of this phrase probably invented to make the whole idea of the empire sound very exciting and, glorify the wealth of the "mother country".

It was claimed that the Brits of position/wealth who visited Australia during it's infancy were so wealthy that they visited with crates full of Pommeroy champagne.

Find that one hard to believe somehow, but I read it in a well respected newspaper.

I always thought it had something to do with "pomade", the greasy crap you beef-boilers used to put on your hair.....although POntificating Mother******s has also been posited.....

I think theres a spelling mistake in your name, should'nt it be an n instead of an l. :o

It's interesting that the acronym seems to have appeared around the early 19th century........right after Federation. there wouldhave been nationalistic Aussie movements pushing for seperation from that other place.

Pommie is good ..........but 'soap dodger' makes me laugh too !! Thanks Bronco.........!!

It's interesting that the acronym seems to have appeared around the early 19th century........right after Federation. there wouldhave been nationalistic Aussie movements pushing for seperation from that other place.

Pommie is good ..........but 'soap dodger' makes me laugh too !! Thanks Bronco.........!!

Dry as a Pommy's towel.

I always thought it had something to do with "pomade", the greasy crap you beef-boilers used to put on your hair.....although POntificating Mother******s has also been posited.....

I think theres a spelling mistake in your name, should'nt it be an n instead of an l. :o

careful...it might be a "c".

I think theres a spelling mistake in your name, should'nt it be an n instead of an l. :D

careful...it might be a "c".

:o