Biopsy for possible skin cancer - surprising information.

Inderpland

I think what the doctor meant was not that there are only 2 docto45s who do path exams on biopsies (there are scores of them) but rather that there are only 2 with adequate expertise in identifying skin cancers, and this I can well believe. Skin cancer is very rare in Thais.

You seem to have seen a male dermatologist? As the country's best dermatologist for skin cancer is at BPH but female (Dr,. Anna).

• Like 1

you're lucky your Dr wasn't one of the bunch 

- that simply brings out the Liquid Nitrogen to Freeze it off

(Out of Sight Out of Mind) 

Last year down one side of Shin, I too thought was an insect bite... 

- it was still there 6 months later, after first not being the size of a small zit. '

My Dr  responded accodringly though...

and it turned out to be a SCC 

My good fortune in having it analysed was after I had a week earlier put on a Poultice (thinking there was some deep splinter) 

A day later it ballooned and broke open by itself

- so off to the Doctor as mentioned...    

(the inflammation circle was a 3cm diameter by then)  

738034538_SCCleg.thumb.png.276540b233a63575ce669c79bbc93f77.png

49 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I think what the doctor meant was not that there are only 2 docto45s who do path exams on biopsies (there are scores of them) but rather that there are only 2 with adequate expertise in identifying skin cancers, and this I can well believe. Skin cancer is very rare in Thais.

You seem to have seen a male dermatologist? As the country's best dermatologist for skin cancer is at BPH but female (Dr,. Anna).

Yes, I have used Dr Anna in the past and would have preferred her but that would have meant waiting several days as she only works part time 3 days a week in BPH.

In the end I don't see what she could have done differently unless she herself has the experise to analyse the biopsy?

Edited by Inderpland

2 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

Yes, I have used Dr Anna in the past and would have preferred her but that would have meant waiting several days as she only works part time 3 days a week in BPH.

i know Dr. Anna has a specific pathologist she uses, likely has shared this info with others in the department.

Just be grateful the biopsy will be read by someone with the necessary expertise.

P.S. the "medical hub" bit is just hype.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 12:23 PM, tifino said:

you're lucky your Dr wasn't one of the bunch 

- that simply brings out the Liquid Nitrogen to Freeze it off

(Out of Sight Out of Mind) 

Actually Liquid Nitrogen is a standard treatment worldwide and has been for decades.  Nothing wrong with it in my opinion for small possible bcc/scc type cancers (and I have had many skin cancers removed).  The liquid nitrogen is 99% effective in killing saving biopsy and follow up wide margin surgery if positive.  I have had the issue of hospital not having liquid nitrogen and having to undergo much, much more invasive expensive laser/biopsy/surgery/antibiotics.   Give me the nitrogen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually Liquid Nitrogen is a standard treatment worldwide and has been for decades.  Nothing wrong with it in my opinion for small possible bcc/scc type cancers (and I have had many skin cancers removed).  The liquid nitrogen is 99% effective in killing saving biopsy and follow up wide margin surgery if positive.  I have had the issue of hospital not having liquid nitrogen and having to undergo much, much more invasive expensive laser/biopsy/surgery/antibiotics.   Give me the nitrogen.

when DR first saw mine. on the Calf;  he had full intention to again use the LiqN like he does on my face many a time...

-  but after his closer look see, I ended up leaving his Surgery with stitches; covering the hole the size of the end of a toothpaste tube.  image.png.3c46472dd59ddf0b9d150bd219100d89.png 

The dissected 'Core' looked just as sizable in the Specimen Jar... 

Go to a Hospital that can do a pathology test on a suspicious skin growth if in doubt. My brother passed from a melanoma 56 years old. I got biopsy results back today from a freckle that looked odd. Fortunately benign. Long time dead.... Bangkok Hospital Korat....

So the biopsy came back as positive for basal cell carcinoma, superficial type. Still a bit shaken that I have a cancer diagnosis but I guess it could have been a lot worse (melanoma).

I'll book an appointment with Dr. Anna at BPH for a consultation and full body skin check.

And a piece of heartfelt advice to you all; don't forget to apply proper sun lotion before heading out into the sun.