Retail stores energy monitors

I've only seen a couple of places  with these sorts of displays of their solar/energy  generation/consumption

1 at a big 7/11

P_20190106_122659.thumb.jpg.119aee04d68b02801029c71ba17dbbbb.jpg

and 1 at Makro   says operating for 695 days  but this display is very recent

P_20210808_155838.thumb.jpg.ffce609e36ab2cc889a31e88db723dff.jpg

I wonder if anyone has more examples from around Thailand ?

Make one yourself with a raspberry pi.......there is some software called 'home assistant' so if you stick a bluetooth module on your pi or other puter you can also talk to bluetooth temp monitors around your place and those only cost like 10 bucks for 4 from aliexpress

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, driver52 said:

Make one yourself with a raspberry pi..

Thanks for the reply..I have a few Pi  running already Media player,NAS server and nearest thing at the moment A Pi running Nodered talking to a couple of light switches and LED lights...just tinkering around for fun on my home network.

The systems  in the photos are more than just temperature measurement they are total Energy measurement a bit more involved.. really I'm interested if other forum users had seen other examples  from around Thailand.

21 hours ago, johng said:

Thanks for the reply..I have a few Pi  running already Media player,NAS server and nearest thing at the moment A Pi running Nodered talking to a couple of light switches and LED lights...just tinkering around for fun on my home network.

The systems  in the photos are more than just temperature measurement they are total Energy measurement a bit more involved.. really I'm interested if other forum users had seen other examples  from around Thailand.

I’ll describe my home system if you are interested.  I have an Intel NUC running Proxmox Virtual Environment with virtual machines for InfluxDB and HomeAssistant (among others).  I have several IoTaWatt energy meters that report data to Influx, and Grafana in HomeAssistant to present the dashboards.  The Influx/Grafana is still a work in progress, but the IoTaWatts give me several nice consumption graphs.

98FE46EC-F568-4174-B33D-A1E0EEB748D7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

I’ll describe my home system if you are interested.

Thanks...you use a lot more electricity than me !

I only have this one one "dumb" Vango V9811A energy meter P_20210811_125829.thumb.jpg.1734f35355ee25922d89b1f0788399a1.jpg

which might be hackable to obtain electronic results  and incorporate into web stats and graphs  if I ever find the motivation to try.

26 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

IoTaWatt energy meters

https://iotawatt.com/

and  https://github.com/boblemaire/IoTaWatt

That looks very interesting    "Open System Private Data"   

excellent  I don't need or want to send my data to/though some Chinese server  and have the device rendered useless when/if their server fails.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, driver52 said:

what's the Heco that takes lots of power? and the 'Laundry' too?

That is my electric utility. I am net-metered, so when it is negative I have a credit for the day. Load was much higher in that graph than normal, ran an air conditioner all day and charged the car. (5kW off the laundry sub-panel) PV output was down in the afternoon due to cloud cover as well. 

Edited by tjo o tjim

4 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

That is my electric utility. I am net-metered, so when it is negative I have a credit for the day. Load was much higher in that graph than normal, ran an air conditioner all day and charged the car. (5kW off the laundry sub-panel) PV output was down in the afternoon due to cloud cover as well. 

cheers, you've got some crazy high numbers there for someone who is used to consuming circa 3kwh a day lol

are leccy cars taking off in Thailand?

12 hours ago, driver52 said:

cheers, you've got some crazy high numbers there for someone who is used to consuming circa 3kwh a day lol

are leccy cars taking off in Thailand?

I’m in Hawaii now, at least until the madness subsides in a year or so…

We have a little bit bigger place here than in Thailand; the people that built it didn’t do it for energy efficency.  I’ve had to do a lot of driving this week, needed 30kWh yesterday and ~80kWh for the week. That said, 3kWh/day is impressive!  Just our internet and TV use more than that… 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tjo o tjim said:

That said, 3kWh/day is impressive!  Just our internet and TV use more than that… 

you must have a really inefficient TV!

I run a fully blown AMD Radeon PC but powered by a laptop psu and an efficient DC-DC power converter, that runs circa 30watts so for 10 hours that's still only 300wh

A router, what 8watts? I also run PIs and an Odroid box and do occasionally watch the propaganda on a large TV ????

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Wombo1 said:

I am planning to buy this device for my power monitoring, it is massively scalable in terms of the number is circuits it supports.

(And it integrates with home assistant)

https://circuitsetup.us/shop/

Warning Will Robinson - 120V 60Hz!!

Do check that the software is user-adjustable for a 220V 50Hz environment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wombo1 said:

The software is open source and supports a the full range, so no issues

I suspected it would be, but one never knows.

You'll still need a new 9V AC adaptor ???? 

On 8/30/2021 at 3:21 AM, Wombo1 said:

I am planning to buy this device for my power monitoring,

Another thing to be a bit careful about is that for some strange reason the current transformers seem to be on a customs blacklist  at least they where when I tried several times to order from Lazada  shipping from China.

Eventually I ordered the dumb Vango meter as I posted above  which came packaged with a transformer but shipped from within Thailand and all was well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, johng said:

Another thing to be a bit careful about is that for some strange reason the current transformers seem to be on a customs blacklist 

Yeah, I think I remember you posting about that, I've not had any issues with getting CTs from China but there's always a first time.

Yes I did post about it before as I couldn't  believe it,still have no ryme or reason why they blocked it.

I believe you got your stuff from AliBaba  which is much less convenient in my opinion as they do not offer COD  but at least the things arrived !

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 10:21 AM, Wombo1 said:

I am planning to buy this device for my power monitoring, it is massively scalable in terms of the number is circuits it supports.

(And it integrates with home assistant)

https://circuitsetup.us/shop/

Looks like it is working from the IoTaWatt code base (open source hardware/software), at least partially,  I wish IoTaWatt had upgraded to the ESP-32 as it offers tremendous additional functionality.  

I haven’t integrated into HomeAssistant yet, but use InfluxDB and Grafana for a few things (that should be much easier to do).  I will try to get it working one of these days, but my current challenge is getting HomeAssistant to use multiple network interfaces properly (hass os).