Three things to know about the long-term side effects of COVID vaccines

cdemundo

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The heading belies the content of the article which clearly states the overwhelming evidence of the safety of vaccines.

Yes, he is basically saying there are none.

I found his point that long term effects are usually found with medications that are taken frequently over a period of time, and that any long term affects are unlikely with one or two doses of a vaccine.

The fear of long term effects is basically "magical thinking".

Edited by cdemundo
added last sentence

I suggest the Long Term effects are not really known yet, as the vaccines have not been out for what most people would consider a long amount of time.  All that is known, to be precise is the data collected since the first COVID vaccines were administered.  If one considers that a long term amount of time, well, so be it. 

25 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

I suggest the Long Term effects are not really known yet, as the vaccines have not been out for what most people would consider a long amount of time.  All that is known, to be precise is the data collected since the first COVID vaccines were administered.  If one considers that a long term amount of time, well, so be it. 

Did you read the article?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

First vaccine uses in 1796 - think I'll take my chances.

And new type of vaccines tested more than the originals.

A tested, inactive vaccine versus a wild virus that mutates regularly, represents very different levels of long term risk, and all vaccines look to significantly reduce the chances of serious illness with minimal risk.

Few of that is true for the COVID vaccines. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Did you read the article?

Yes I did.  And if you want to take :"Goepfert opinion, then fine, up to you.  These RNA type of vaccines have not been around as long as other vaccines. So categoricaly saying there are no long term effect to worry about, is theoretical, until a long term period has passed.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

Yes I did.  And if you want to take :"Goepfert opinion, then fine, up to you.  These RNA type of vaccines have not been around as long as other vaccines. So categoricaly saying there are no long term effect to worry about, is theoretical, until a long term period has passed.

It's very difficult to say anything categorically and in fact neither Goepfert nor any other person with expertise in this field has stated categorically that there could never ever, possibly be any long term effects but they have pointed out that it's extremely unlikely given that the components of vaccines are eliminated from the body within a short period of time.

So after that period, there's no biological mechanism whereby the vaccine could cause side effects later down the road - because there's simply nothing there any more to cause such effects.

Let's try a different approach - if you think there could be long term adverse effects that will only show themselves after a lengthy period has elapsed, what would you propose as the mechanism for that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gk10012001 said:

Feel free to wait, but don’t encourage others in your ‘poker game’.

COVID holds a ‘Royal Flush’ and the stakes are death.

39 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

you have more chance of a lottery jackpot than  getting side effects that will kill you or even make you ill just a tad

Latest numbers from LoS - those over 70 have over a 12% chance of death following infection. Yet I got some relatives closing in on that age who are worried about "side effects", even though other elderly relatives who got the shot had barely any side effects. Not even a headache...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's very difficult to say anything categorically and in fact neither Goepfert nor any other person with expertise in this field has stated categorically that there could never ever, possibly be any long term effects but they have pointed out that it's extremely unlikely given that the components of vaccines are eliminated from the body within a short period of time.

So after that period, there's no biological mechanism whereby the vaccine could cause side effects later down the road - because there's simply nothing there any more to cause such effects.

Let's try a different approach - if you think there could be long term adverse effects that will only show themselves after a lengthy period has elapsed, what would you propose as the mechanism for that?

"Let's try a different approach - if you think there could be long term adverse effects that will only show themselves after a lengthy period has elapsed, what would you propose as the mechanism for that?"

Right. There are no hints of a mechanism when the vaccine components are only in the body once, or twice, and for a short period of time.  That's what I was thinking of when I said magical thinking.

As Goepfert pointed out all medications/drugs that have had long term effects were taken frequently and for a long time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Feel free to wait, but don’t encourage others in your ‘poker game’.

COVID holds a ‘Royal Flush’ and the stakes are death.

Who said I was waiting?  Once again, you are one of those nits that makes incorrect conclusions.  And your fear mongering accomplishes nothing.  The mortality rate of COVID is less than any severe flu season.  Yes the old, the weak, the sick, those with pre existing conditions are hit the worst.  That is the same as has always been and will continue to be the plight of the human race.  Get used to it

12 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

you have more chance of a lottery jackpot than  getting side effects that will kill you or even make you ill just a tad

What lottery?  I think Power ball is like 150 million to 1.  So be precise if you are going to talk about probabilities

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Conversely, there is a wealth of evidence that viral infections can have long term (even life long) consequences and mounting evidence that long term effects from COVID occur in something like 20 - 30% of people. Including those whose infections were mild or even symptomatic.

a valid point.  This is why it is too soon to draw any firm conclusions about COVID or its treatments or related things.  Barely heading to two years since first mainstream

1 hour ago, gk10012001 said:

Who said I was waiting?  Once again, you are one of those nits that makes incorrect conclusions.  And your fear mongering accomplishes nothing.  The mortality rate of COVID is less than any severe flu season.  Yes the old, the weak, the sick, those with pre existing conditions are hit the worst.  That is the same as has always been and will continue to be the plight of the human race.  Get used to it

So if you are not waiting why are you posting this nonsense.

Or are we to believe you’ve had the vaccine/intend to get the vaccine but spend time posting anti-vaccine (fear mongering) nonsense?

Edited by Chomper Higgot