Thai Marriage legalization at Consulate

jayceenik

I got married last year in Isaan and now I'm thinking of legalizing for Belgium that marriage at the Consulate in BKK.

I've collected all the documents for that already but I hesitate.

The wife and I have zero intention of ever going to live in Belgium and a visit to Europe with a Schengen visa for wife is also of no interest to us so that legalization is really not necessary.

I'm a Belgian taxpayer because of my Belgian pension on which I have to pay income tax and social security and I'm afraid that getting my Thai wife in the Belgium National Registry may brand her as a taxpayer too. I don't want to have to file an income tax return for her in addition to mine.

I've spent time on the Internet on this but found no answer to my question which is simply : Is a Thai wife living in Thailand liable for income tax by the country of nationality of her husband even if she doesn't live in that foreign country and never has?

I'd think not but you never know with those tax ogres!

Not sure what the consulate would do as far as legalization of your marriage certificate.

Some might register your marriage in you home country in some way.

I you just want your marriage certificate legalized the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA will legalize it.

The legalization of my Thai marriage at the Belgian Consulate means that my marriage will be recognized in Belgium. Just like if I had married in Belgium. To do that the Consulate has asked that my Thai marriage Certificate be legalized by the MFA and then translated in French, Flemish or English. by approved translation service before submitting.

For the U.S., if your marriage is registered then your wife can collect 100% of your Social Security benefits after your death, regardless of where she lives, in the U.S. or in Thailand.  So there may be some survivor benefits you would like her to get after your death which she might not be able to do if not legally married.

15 minutes ago, cnx1204 said:

For the U.S., if your marriage is registered then your wife can collect 100% of your Social Security benefits after your death, regardless of where she lives, in the U.S. or in Thailand.  So there may be some survivor benefits you would like her to get after your death which she might not be able to do if not legally married.

Sorry to continue an off-topic conversation, but it is important to give correct information in cases like this.

@cnx1204 statement is not universally true.  Check this document to find important relevant details:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

Edited by gamb00ler

26 minutes ago, jayceenik said:

The legalization of my Thai marriage at the Belgian Consulate means that my marriage will be recognized in Belgium. Just like if I had married in Belgium. To do that the Consulate has asked that my Thai marriage Certificate be legalized by the MFA and then translated in French, Flemish or English. by approved translation service before submitting.

I am French, and I don't know if it's the same in Belgium  : I don't think your wife will pay taxes if your marriage is recognized in Belgium, but if it's like in France, when you die , she can have  half of your pension for the rest of her life,( starting at the age of 58 years old and married for more than 5 years )

anyway, ask how it works in Belgium but if it's like in France,  it's interresting  to recognized it in Belgium ( as you say, it's your embassy who does the job with documents of the MFA and translations ( I know an officilal Thai translator for French, good and not expensive )