Thaivisa Barbeque Party In Chiang Mai !

george

Coming in with a few late suggestions

Mao Dok Mai (behind the Amari in Nimmenhaemin Soi 1) - huge garden, probably the biggest CD / DVD music collection in town, great western food (Fajitas are fab) and a cool dog that wanders around.

The new Beer Garden half way up Loy Kroh road - looks cool and has loads of space

The old Burmese Consulate on the south moat, (was it the Smiling Monkey for a while?) dunno it's current name as not been round that way for a while

There's also that really cosy garden pub immediately behind Johns Place on Moonmuang - accessed down a narrow alley along the side of Johns Place.

Oh Yeah - and what about THE original farang watering hole - The Pub on Huay Kaew - big place (especially now it's been remodelled), jovial host, good beer selection (includuing draughts) and good grub.

Tuskers needs more fans in the garden - it's like a sauna sitting there without a breath of wind, especially with the water features kicking up the humidity.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz Chiangmai

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming in with a few late suggestions

Mao Dok Mai The Drunken Flower in English (behind the Amari in Nimmenhaemin Soi 1) - huge garden, probably the biggest CD / DVD music collection in town, great western food (Fajitas are fab) and a cool dog that wanders around.

The new Beer Garden half way up Loy Kroh road - looks cool and has loads of space

The old Burmese Consulate on the south moat, (was it the Smiling Monkey for a while?) dunno it's current name as not been round that way for a while

There's also that really cosy garden pub immediately behind Johns Place on Moonmuang - accessed down a narrow alley along the side of Johns Place.

Oh Yeah - and what about THE original farang watering hole - The Pub on Huay Kaew - big place (especially now it's been remodelled), jovial host, good beer selection (includuing draughts) and good grub.

Tuskers needs more fans in the garden - it's like a sauna sitting there without a breath of wind, especially with the water features kicking up the humidity.

Gaz

:o

Edited by Austhaied

That would be The Laughing leprechan which has been suggested quite a few times. :o

For a good - real good place I think FELIX Restaurant in Phrao would be good. It's huge and have the best food for the best price with good icecream and draught Beer Chiang. It's 106 Km north of CM but the bus up there is only 80 Baht one way. Good nature, many things to look at and it's in the valley of Ban San Pong.

Edited by MISOLIMA

With suggestions getting repetitive, maybe time for admin to set up a poll??

Great idea.. George ??

I have the list prepared if you feel sufficient enough venues are in or should it run a while longer since it is still a bit off in time. If so, will submit the poll to George for posting approval. Any particular info in the poll besides the name of the places? Or just the names, since the info is in this topic already.

With suggestions getting repetitive, maybe time for admin to set up a poll??

Great idea.. George ??

I have the list prepared if you feel sufficient enough venues are in or should it run a while longer since it is still a bit off in time. If so, will submit the poll to George for posting approval. Any particular info in the poll besides the name of the places? Or just the names, since the info is in this topic already.

I personally feel it is far to early to arrange a poll on the venue. We still have at least two months before the proposed date and a lot will depend on factors other than members' preferences. For example, what happens if a preferred venue does not wish to host the event.

What is needed is for members to post their ideas, as they have been doing, and for the suggested venues to be visited by a representative of TV and, if they appear to fulfill requirements, sounded out.

Polling now is jumping the gun.

Tywais, maybe you should have a double-question poll (whenever it is done)- one question for the restaurant, and one for the best day/days?

Maybe if it's on a weekend I can try to come... not sure, though.

"S"

I have the template in place for testing. My preference is weekends due to work, but can't quite put 30 days in since poll is limited to 20 items per poll topic. Any suggestion guys as to how to format the day/dates?

//edit - didn't see p1p's post, perhaps wait for more information before activating the poll. There are currently 17 in the list, so probably a good idea to weed that down some when specific reccons have been done and reported.

Will wait until other members have a chance to fill out the recon spreadsheet and come up with a short list.

Edited by Tywais

Are members of Admin from TV coning to this event?, only it seems a very long thread for something we do regularly and only 5 or 6 people turn up!!

Maybee a date should be set now and then people can start commiting ..however having been to virtually EVERY CM TV Piss up my experience tells me that only about 1 in 3 who say they are going will actually go.

I think the last one we had at Tuskers there was Austied, Crowboy TA22, Me and of course Milton...sorry if I missed anybody, but others committed (you now who you are..and never bothered to tun up)

So can Admin set a date, no need to select a venue yet and can we get some names down.???

That would be a great start !!!

Are members of Admin from TV coning to this event?, only it seems a very long thread for something we do regularly and only 5 or 6 people turn up!!

Maybee a date should be set now and then people can start commiting ..however having been to virtually EVERY CM TV Piss up my experience tells me that only about 1 in 3 who say they are going will actually go.

I think the last one we had at Tuskers there was Austied, Crowboy TA22, Me and of course Milton...sorry if I missed anybody, but others committed (you now who you are..and never bothered to tun up)

So can Admin set a date, no need to select a venue yet and can we get some names down.???

That would be a great start !!!

I'll second that. Commit now so we can all plan our dates accordingly. I know 5 who will be there.. :o

Last piss up i heard every excuse under the sun why they couldn't come. Lets face it Chiang Mai is not New York or Tokyo with regard to rush hours and business meetings. C'mon guys commit now. Start walking the walk.

I wont be here next month so i will do an absentee vote now.

1/ The Pub

2/ Tuskers

3/ The Queen Vic

I'll be there if its not the first or last week of August.

If its a BBQ then I am sure that Milton Bentley can organise one and a special discount on beer .

I think Tuskers is the right choice..and he is a prolific TV Poster...so I wll remove my hat from the ring and vote Tuskers around the weekend nearest August 20th! Anyone disagree???

That will be more or less 2 years to the day that we had he first one

So lets have some names??

I'll be there if its not the first or last week of August.

If its a BBQ then I am sure that Milton Bentley can organise one and a special discount on beer .

I think Tuskers is the right choice..and he is a prolific TV Poster...so I wll remove my hat from the ring and vote Tuskers around the weekend nearest August 20th! Anyone disagree???

That will be more or less 2 years to the day that we had he first one

So lets have some names??

Austhaied-Confirmed.

TP's suggested dates would be Saturday 18 or Sunday 19 August. That would suit me fine, as I return to CM on August 16. Assuming a date no earlier than Friday 17 August, I can confirm my presence (in case anybody cares...).

/ Priceless

TP's suggested dates would be Saturday 18 or Sunday 19 August. That would suit me fine, as I return to CM on August 16. Assuming a date no earlier than Friday 17 August, I can confirm my presence (in case anybody cares...).

/ Priceless

Of course we care. :o .Those dates would suit me as well. Anyone else ??

/ Priceless

Saturday,18 August would be fine from this end. Please don't forget that we are bringing mesquite smoked BBQ ribs and perhaps mesquite smoked chicken, pulled pork sandwiches or pork fillets, so make sure the venue you select is on board with that.

Great to see the responses so far!!! Please remember, the more options you give yourselves, the better deal we can get on a venue, so check out all you can and we can run a separate signup thread starting on the 1st of August. You have 16 Fridays and Saturdays to recon venues between 1 June and 1 August.

Thanks!!!

/ Priceless

Saturday,18 August would be fine from this end. Please don't forget that we are bringing mesquite smoked BBQ ribs and perhaps mesquite smoked chicken, pulled pork sandwiches or pork fillets, so make sure the venue you select is on board with that.

Great to see the responses so far!!! Please remember, the more options you give yourselves, the better deal we can get on a venue, so check out all you can and we can run a separate signup thread starting on the 1st of August. You have 16 Fridays and Saturdays to recon venues between 1 June and 1 August.

Thanks!!!

Sounds good to me. Will you need a BBQ to cook/ reheat with ?? I can donate my beast for the day if someone has a pick-up.

Look forward to it. :o

Edited by Austhaied

/ Priceless

Thanks!!!

Sounds good to me. Will you need a BBQ to cook/ reheat with ?? I can donate my beast for the day if someone has a pick-up.

Look forward to it. :o

Thanks for the offer but I have a few of these laying around...

post-13660-1180623422_thumb.jpg

post-13660-1180678924_thumb.jpg

FWIW, I will be in-country for the first half of August (Svenske, come up to visit, eh?). Any location is fine, prefer somewhere that serves Mae Khong or Sang Som, but give fair warning as to date and time for those of us who will need to arrange shelter for the night if the weather happens to be wet.

Buckwheat are you proposing to supply ALL the food then ? :rolleyes

The Queen Victoria Inn would be another good option.

http://www.queenvictoriainnsthailand.com/Q...angmaiindex.htm

A major advantage of the Queen Vic is that it has on site accomodation which is comfortable and reasonably priced. It also has parking there for anyone driving in from out of town. Anyone coming in by air can get collected from the Airport. Depending on the number and negotiation skills of the members coming in they should be able to get a discount of the room rate.

CB