Bangkok Historical Street Question

Weho

I have a guidebook of Bangkok from the 1960's, and if keeps referring to stores on "New Road"... seems like it was a main street.

Does anyone know which street they were referring to?

It's an alternative name for Charoen Krung Road.

Patrick

I believe it is now called Tanon Sri Naratiwat (it runs under a short length of the BTS; intersects with Silom and Sathorn).

Is that correct anyone?

I have always understood that New Road is Charoen Krung as Brownstone states. I don't think the road was ever called New Road by the Thais, other than for foreign consumption. I also recall reading that it was called New Road because it was the first 'proper' road in Bangkok, previously there had been only klongs, pathways, etc.

Charoen Krung used to be called New Road for the reasons stated by qualtrough. It also used to have trams running along it. Imagine that! You can find pics in recent pictorial history books in stores like Asia Books. Naratiwat is also known as Tanon Dat Mai (new cut road), as are the eastern ends of Rama 9 and Petchburi, even tho the latter was cut many decades ago.

I know that the portion of Charoen Krung road down near Silom was called New Road. One of the first times I came to Thailand I stayed there. The Hotel listed it's address as New Road and all the Taxi's knew it as New Road.

Wow, that was a long time ago!