Any members used the Monday and Thursday TG476 flight from Sydney to Bangkok?

scorecard

Not since June 2019 but I was using it 4 to 5 times a year mid week for the previous 10 years.

IMHO all ok, food and service good and staff very helpful and friendly.

Most flights were full but get there early to check-in and try to get an exit row seat. 

Never any delays or cancelled flights in that period,

Post COVID no idea?

29 minutes ago, berrec said:

Not since June 2019 but I was using it 4 to 5 times a year mid week for the previous 10 years.

IMHO all ok, food and service good and staff very helpful and friendly.

Most flights were full but get there early to check-in and try to get an exit row seat. 

Never any delays or cancelled flights in that period,

Post COVID no idea?

Thanks, appreciated.

42 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Thai Airways is a very average, and I mean very average airline, ... but up to you as they say.

I used jetstar and Thai to Melbourne, one can note the difference but I opted mostly for the cheaper Jetstar because of the price otherwise I would take Thai. Some strange folks on jetstar sometimes.

30 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I used jetstar and Thai to Melbourne, one can note the difference but I opted mostly for the cheaper Jetstar because of the price otherwise I would take Thai. Some strange folks on jetstar sometimes.

Thanks for your comment. Actually my interest is a flight in the near future, with various Covid 19 'complications' from Sydney to Bangkok.

TG have a semi-commercial flight TG476 every Monday and Thursday, Sydney to Bangkok.

From what I can find the only other airline operating a semi-commercial flight SYD to BKK is Singapore Airlines, with a flight every day, obviously with a transit in Singapore.  

But SG have just added a requirement for passengers transiting in Singapore; the passenger must present a negative PCR report at check-in at Sydney airport and on arrival at Changi airport with no more than a 48 hr gap between the date/time on the PCR negative report and the date/time the passenger arrives at Changi airport.  

So I'm hoping some folks who have taken the TG476 flight might share their experiences re:

- Making/paying for the booking?

- What difficulties experienced trying to change dates? But today a TG local Australian employee in Sydney told me that change of date is allowed.

• Same employee said that she could not comment on refunds for old bookings where the flight(s) had been cancelled by TG (before she started work for TG, and this subject out of her work area), but she did mention that all bookings made now are subject to the new rules for the new TG and refunds are available. No further details on this.

- Was check-in at Sydney airport smooth / chaos / complicated / stressful / friendly / efficient? 

- I'm told (today) that there's no extra charges to 'buy a seat', and F&B is full service - Any comments re recent flights on these subjects appreciated.

- I was told today that the economy luggage allowance is 20Kg, buying extra Kg at time of placing the booking is possible but at AUD62 for 1 Kg. Did folks who used this flight recently have the same experience re extra luggage?

- Was arrival at Suvarnabhumi smooth/efficient/prompt?

- Did it take long to get all the COE etc., documents checked? Was there strong scrutinization of the COE docs? In your opinion was the COE docs check influenced at all by arriving on a TG flight?

- Was getting passport stamped complicate or quick and smooth?

- Was hand over to the hotel reps smooth/efficient?

And any other comments who would like to share.

Thanks. 

Edited by scorecard

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Thai Airways is a very average, and I mean very average airline, ... but up to you as they say.

Used it down and back 2019/20, flight service used to be much better, I guess the staff moral affected by the management problems.   

I've been using the TG476 Syd-BKK for many years and never had a problem.

I actually first started flying to BKK back in '83 when there was always a stopover in Singapore enroute. That TG flight used to dep. Syd at 4.30pm.

In more recent times (post 2010) I noticed their 747's were getting a bit shabby. I always flew in the upstairs section of Bus. Class....  on some, the overhead lockers were quite small in that area.  They refurbished their 747's but the fact remained that they were still using old planes when other airlines (at the same time) were updating.

I decided to shop around and found that Emirates (Bus. Class) Syd to BKK were $1,200 cheaper!!!!   Plus (and included) a Limmo ride to and from Airports and that great bar on the plane. (A380)  A definite aid in the prevention of D.V.T.

Unfortunately in mid 2019, Emirates ceased flying the SYD to BKK route.

I then, in late 2019 booked again with TG for a trip in 2020 but alas Covid grounded all flights, and their impending bankruptcy didn't help my confidence that I'd be flying with them in the near future.

Your question in this Forum has shed a bit more light on my prospects. 

I can't help you, but your question's responses have given me some confidence that maybe in the New Year they will honour my 2 business class tickets...   the fact that they have been answering their phones here in Sydney is a great start!

Good luck!

38 minutes ago, bangkok19 said:

I actually first started flying to BKK back in '83 when there was always a stopover in Singapore enroute. That TG flight used to dep. Syd at 4.30pm.

In more recent times (post 2010) I noticed their 747's were getting a bit shabby. I always flew in the upstairs section of Bus. Class....  on some, the overhead lockers were quite small in that area.  They refurbished their 747's but the fact remained that they were still using old planes when other airlines (at the same time) were updating.

I decided to shop around and found that Emirates (Bus. Class) Syd to BKK were $1,200 cheaper!!!!   Plus (and included) a Limmo ride to and from Airports and that great bar on the plane. (A380)  A definite aid in the prevention of D.V.T.

I then, in late 2019 booked again with TG for a trip in 2020 but alas Covid grounded all flights, and their impending bankruptcy didn't help my confidence that I'd be flying with them in the near future.

I can't help you, but your question's responses have given me some confidence that maybe in the New Year they will honour my 2 business class tickets...   the fact that they have been answering their phones here in Sydney is a great start!

Good luck!

"... the fact that they have been answering their phones here in Sydney is a great start!"

I called the published number. It's not their city office, the call is transferred automatically to their operations office at Sydney airport. The operations staff can answer basic questions about flight times etc etc., but nothing more.

The bonus I got from this call was learning that there's a covid 19 test lab at the airport on the departure level who offer a 1 hr turnaround Covid 19 report to smartphone and passenger can pick a printed copy from their office. Open at 6.00 am 7 days. Cost is Aud150-.  (Histopath.com.au  -  9878 8173). I mentioned to the very pleasant TG operations lady that I was in a wheelchair, she offered to get a TG staff member to take me to the test lab (7 or 8 minutes walk from check-in), wait a few minutes while they took the swab and bring me back to check-in, then send a TG staff member to pick up the printed report. 

58 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Asking for an Idiot IMO friend who is a anti-vaxer, do you need to be double vaxed to board a flight out of OZ?

Australian citizens do need permission to leave Australia, there are possible exemptions from that regulation but not easy to get.

In regard to Australian regulations on having been vaccinated before you can leave Australia - I don't know. But a couple of days ago this was mentioned in a news conference here in Australia, one of the health experts mentioned that it will become more difficult for Australians to enter/re-enter Australia if they're unvaccinated.

Also mentioned in that discussion in a media session; 'why would allow Australians to leave Australia unvaccinated which would just generate severe difficulties for that Australian to re-enter their own country?' 

But many countries seem to making rules that you can't enter unless double vaccinated.

Singapore just one example, passengers must prove double vaccinated when they check-in.

Also now cannot transit in Singapore unless double vaccinated (as last sentence) plus must now show, at departure check-in, a PCR negative report to board a flight anywhere which will transit in Singapore plus the time gap cannot be more than 48 hrs from time the swab was taken to time arrived in Singapore (very short time).

Seems that travel for unvaccinated people will get more and more complex, with vaccinations being paramount.  

Which will probably mean more development of online proof of vaccination. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

Good luck!

March 2019 they used the A 350, perfect even in economy class. Special socks may prevent or help with your DVT problem if you can not walk around.

Edited by SomchaiCNX
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Australian citizens do need permission to leave Australia, there are possible exemptions from that regulation but not easy to get.

In regard to Australian regulations on having been vaccinated before you can leave Australia - I don't know. But a couple of days ago this was mentioned in a news conference here in Australia, one of the health experts mentioned that it will become more difficult for Australians to enter/re-enter Australia if they're unvaccinated.

Also mentioned in that discussion in a media session; 'why would allow Australians to leave Australia unvaccinated which would just generate severe difficulties for that Australian to re-enter their own country?' 

But many countries seem to making rules that you can't enter unless double vaccinated.

Singapore just one example, passengers must prove double vaccinated when they check-in.

Also now cannot transit in Singapore unless double vaccinated (as last sentence) plus must now show, at departure check-in, a PCR negative report to board a flight anywhere which will transit in Singapore plus the time gap cannot be more than 48 hrs from time the swab was taken to time arrived in Singapore (very short time).

Seems that travel for unvaccinated people will get more and more complex, with vaccinations being paramount.  

Which will probably mean more development of online proof of vaccination. 

Further, seems that regualtions re cannot eat in restaurants without online proof of double vaccinations are developing in most Australian states.  And seems to to well supported by the citizens.