Just Back After Being Away For 4 Months

Begbie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is extraordinary that many of the posts are stating that they have never felt unwelcome in Thailand.........that should tell you something about their ability to judge things.

For the past seven years the visa rules taking place before their eyes have been stating "you are not welcome." The same is true for the business rules.

Or maybe some are welcomed more than others.

What is not welcoming about the visa rules? The fact that they don't want people living here illegaly. not paying tax and doing monthly border runs?

What is not welcoming when I apply for a non immigrant O visa and get it back in the post 2 days later, no questions asked?

I think possibly the people that Thailand doesn't want to welcome are the same types of people that aren't really welcome anywhere.

Well said.

Never ever felt even slightly unwelcome in Thailand as a foreigner? Surely impossible.

It makes me wonder if the people that say such ridiculous things have some agenda they are pushing.

Impossible for you perhaps...don't you think that it is a little bit arrogant and ignorant to believe that you can be in the shoes and the mind of others? :o

What possible agenda could any of us who have never felt unwelcome or anti-Farang sentiment have? Undercover agents for Thai BOI to bolster up Farang investment sentiment?; agents for the Thai government against the National Associations of Retired persons worldwide to grab as many rich retirees as possible??

JR Texas to?: Did Emperor Tud say this?: "don't you think that it is a little bit arrogant and ignorant to believe that you can be in the shoes and the mind of others?"

Are U serious? Can you say psychologist, sociologists, anthropologists, and a legion of advertisers worldwide who, yes, strongly think they can get inside the minds of others.

It is not arrogance, it is a fact.....human beings are predictable....beliefs, decision-making....all are predictable because it is possible to discern what people are thinking.

Sometimes, just by looking at their body movements, you can tell what people are thinking. For example, when Maigo6 shoots me the finger long distance from Japan via the internet, I know what he is thinking. Same when JDinAsia shoots me the moon :D :D :D :D

emp ... no those would be the bitter guys that are still here but feel unwelcome :o

I haven't bought anything here ... nothing irreversible about my decision to live in a place I love :D

emp ... no those would be the bitter guys that are still here but feel unwelcome :o

I haven't bought anything here ... nothing irreversible about my decision to live in a place I love :D

JR Texas: For the record, this is what I said earlier: I have always felt unwanted by the Thai government and many Thais in the big cities. Where I live now, in Thailand, I feel welcome, but I live in Isan and things seem different in Isan (most beautiful girls in Thailand and the friendliest people if you ask me).

I can understand a thai being stuck in thailand for life even if he doesn't want to. But I can never understand a farang being stuck in thailand.

If one has a british passport, one can choose to live in many many places in the world that is of course if he has a reasonable amount of money. But for a person who holds a thai passport, he has no choice. Of course then if he is incredibly rich.

I've never understood why people get so hysterical about this.

The reality adjudged over decades is that falang are less welcomed here then they were. If you were an adult here 20+ years ago and don't agree with that let me know.

My view is that as Thai's have had the (mis)fortune to see a wider spectrum of visitors here, and they have retreated into a more nationalistic frame of reference in part from that exposure and also in part as a result of complex internal pressures. There has also been an increase in nationalistic elements within the education system which grew back in the late '80's and has continued.

Ultimately falang are guests here, as in one way or another as we are consistently reminded. It is for the individual to manage this factor as they see fit. As a personal example I would not fully retire here, since Elite card excepting {maybe}, the maximum time period for planning is 364 days.

Thailand has the sovereign right to manage its policies as it sees fit, I have no issue with that, I just find it odd that intelligent people look and do not see.

Regards

Atrav ... don't exclude PR etc :o

In my dealings with Gov't officials from immigration up ... I have been treated fairly and with respect. I have had more of these dealings than most but FAR FAR fewer than many people.

I have not bought or married here, have no NEED to stay, and have never felt unwelcome :D I understand that some people's experience and feelings are different.

My question would be ... why stay in a place where you feel you are unwanted?

I've never understood why people get so hysterical about this.

The reality adjudged over decades is that falang are less welcomed here then they were. If you were an adult here 20+ years ago and don't agree with that let me know.

My view is that as Thai's have had the (mis)fortune to see a wider spectrum of visitors here, and they have retreated into a more nationalistic frame of reference in part from that exposure and also in part as a result of complex internal pressures. There has also been an increase in nationalistic elements within the education system which grew back in the late '80's and has continued.

Ultimately falang are guests here, as in one way or another as we are consistently reminded. It is for the individual to manage this factor as they see fit. As a personal example I would not fully retire here, since Elite card excepting {maybe}, the maximum time period for planning is 364 days.

Thailand has the sovereign right to manage its policies as it sees fit, I have no issue with that, I just find it odd that intelligent people look and do not see.

Regards

Most balanced post to date on this topic.

I've been around Thailand on and off for some 17 years, and have discernibly noticed a decline in attitudes in general to foreigners by a narrow majority of the Thai population, whether farang, African or Asian (viz the recent vilification of Singaporeans by ordinary Thais, right down to the national footie team). This frequently crosses the line of racism and blatant nationalism, often seen/heard in diatribes against foreigners in general, farang and Burmese in particular. However, I am not particularly surprised by any of this, as a rather insular nation rapidly opened up to the West and mass tourism in the 80s and 90s. It is just a fallout of poorly planned globalisation.

I would say that the decline in attitudes hastened under PM Thaksin and the nationalist Thai Rak Thai's spell in govt., which if you like, stirred up the rural masses and made it acceptable to be rude, racist and nationalist, especially amongst certain civil servants. At the same time "they" also wanted the money brought in by foreigners to keep flowing, but thought they could attract a higher spending class of tourist, hence the "Elite Card" fiasco. This just heightened the anti-foreigner feeling amongst ordinary Thais who thought they'd start losing their land as well to evil Johnny F. Unsurprisingly, given its natural advantages and unique economy, Thailand has continued to attract "low quality" tourists, long term residents and retirees in their masses (don't take it personally anyone!) and the average Thai is now brushing up against these characters more and more, not just in the cities but out in the rural villages, and their rosy-eyed image of a "poo-dee angrit" has been shattered by some beer-swilling, tattooed, foul-mouthed slob from Essex who is seen as more of a threat to the community, rather than an asset (although Essex-man's lucre can still get him a long way with in-laws). As a result, farang are no longer the exotic, mysterious creatures, held in slight awe they once were, and the change in atmosphere is noticeable.

But just to put things in perspective, there is still a massive portion of the society who are still most welcoming and friendly to foreigners of the right skin colour and wallet size, who will make your stay most pleasant and fun, so don't be misled by all you read on TV but take time to make your own (mis)judgements! :D

Of course, I'm throwing around some simplifications and generalisations here, so don't get me wrong, but it is naive of people to think that things haven't changed over the long run. But, 3 months is a bit of a short time period to notice much in my book. :o

Tough to believe you were forced to come back to Thailand. I went to Cambodia to take my girl to visit her other 1/2 the family she hadn't seen in Cambodia for 10 years.

Neither of us could stand the amount of time wasted in K-mer land. We went from Poipet thru Sispon down to Siem Riep- Penom Penn- Siokenville. Out of 15 countries I been to Cambodia is by far the sleeziest & the dollar at 22 baht to a dollar exchange rate is disgusting, that was in 2004!

Maybe people feel a little predijiced towards because the rich farangs come here & steal their women

and don't have to work for 200-300 baht a day if they are lucky . The other end of the spectrum The Thai Govn. Perhaps have made some poor desisions that they are paying for dearly now.

I can't imagine anyone feeling forced to come back here! The girls are far prettier The food is wonderful.

And it does not cost $20-$60 to see ant Thai temple & I didn't think that Siem Reips Anchor Wat was all that after being to Indonesian temples Thai temples & the Pyramids in Egypt.

If you really want to see predijice try being a white boy in Hawaii USA.

There I would agree with you & I lived there for 11 years & nobody held a gun to my head & made me live there. Comparing Thailand To Cambodia is like Oranges to apples. But opinions are like a-holes everybody's got one! And welcome to it ...Live & let Live

Beardog

Edited by Beardog

What a coincidence! I know all of them.

the first man with white t-shirt, he found my phone in the toilet and gave it back to me

the second one in yellow shirt, I dropped my wallet and was given back to me

the tuk tuk driver, he helped me fought off a few thai guys last time when I was having a fight in Patpong...

and the last one, she said she would give me a discount 500 baht coz I am a farang....

Edited by meemiathai

Everyone seems so friendly, helpfull ...

post-21079-1180527172_thumb.jpgpost-21079-1180527183_thumb.jpgpost-21079-1180527194_thumb.jpgpost-21079-1180527207_thumb.jpgpost-21079-1180527219_thumb.jpg

Skip ... am NOT taking a shot at you with the following question ......

but did you take those pics and title them before or after your episode on the other side of the river?

Do they have people that do the same things where you come from?

What a coincidence! I know all of them.

the first man with white t-shirt, he found my phone in the toilet and gave it back to me

the second one in yellow shirt, I dropped my wallet and was given back to me

the tuk tuk driver, he helped me fought off a few thai guys last time when I was having a fight in Patpong...

and the last one, she said she would give me a discount 500 baht coz I am a farang....

5555! Talok dee! Best laugh I have had all week! Cheers meemiathai! 55555! :o

post-42058-1180528227_thumb.jpg

Farang: "That girl behind us? that is my Wife! How dare you ask her for a foot massage!!!!"

Edited by kratindaeng

post-21079-1180527172_thumb.jpgpost-21079-1180527183_thumb.jpgpost-21079-1180527194_thumb.jpgpost-21079-1180527207_thumb.jpgpost-21079-1180527219_thumb.jpg

but did you take those pics and title them before or after your episode on the other side of the river?

Whenever I see sombody hustling sombody I snap a frame, if I can....going to need a new hard drive soon. :o

I think this lady works for the TAT. not sure

post-21079-1180528563_thumb.jpg

...and, no, we don't have people like that back home.

Edited by The Skipper

Wow .. you are not from the USA or Oz then! ... or the UK or France or Germany or Italy :o

but I am betting that those pics are all newer than the events across the river.

Tough to believe you were forced to come back to Thailand.

I had to come back for business.

I went to Cambodia to take my girl to visit her other 1/2 the family she hadn't seen in Cambodia for 10 years.

Neither of us could stand the amount of time wasted in K-mer land. We went from Poipet thru Sispon down to Siem Riep- Penom Penn- Siokenville. Out of 15 countries I been to Cambodia is by far the sleeziest & the dollar at 22 baht to a dollar exchange rate is disgusting, that was in 2004!

They obviously seen you coming or you're just lying because there are money changes everywhere giving 31-35 baht.

Maybe people feel a little predijiced towards because the rich farangs come here & steal their women

and don't have to work for 200-300 baht a day if they are lucky . The other end of the spectrum The Thai Govn. Perhaps have made some poor desisions that they are paying for dearly now.

I can't imagine anyone feeling forced to come back here! The girls are far prettier

I have to disagree as do most others who have been to Cambo. The Thai girls are getting fat and greedy.

The food is wonderful.

There is a lot better Farang food in Cambodia because the Farangs can own and work there hassle free in their own kitchen/restaurant/bar with an easy to get, no q's asked 1 year biz visa for $280. Great food evrywhere prepared by top Farang chefs.

And it does not cost $20-$60 to see ant Thai temple & I didn't think that Siem Reips Anchor Wat was all that after being to Indonesian temples Thai temples & the Pyramids in Egypt.

It sure beats anything in Thailand. About to become one of the 7 wonders.

At least you can stay there without the threat of not being allowed back in.

There I would agree with you & I lived there for 11 years & nobody held a gun to my head & made me live there.

No-ones making me live in Thailand either. That's why I moved.

Comparing Thailand To Cambodia is like Oranges to apples.

Got that right.

But opinions are like a-holes everybody's got one! And welcome to it ...Live & let Live

Beardog

Tough to believe you were forced to come back to Thailand.

I had to come back for business.

I went to Cambodia to take my girl to visit her other 1/2 the family she hadn't seen in Cambodia for 10 years.

They obviously seen you coming or you're just lying because there are money changes everywhere giving 31-35 baht.

I can't imagine anyone feeling forced to come back here! The girls are far prettier

I have to disagree as do most others who have been to Cambo. The Thai girls are getting fat and greedy.

The food is wonderful.

There is a lot better Farang food in Cambodia because the Farangs can own and work there hassle free in their own kitchen/restaurant/bar with an easy to get, no q's asked 1 year biz visa for $280. Great food evrywhere prepared by top Farang chefs.

It sure beats anything in Thailand. About to become one of the 7 wonders.

At least you can stay there without the threat of not being allowed back in.

There I would agree with you & I lived there for 11 years & nobody held a gun to my head & made me live there.

No-ones making me live in Thailand either. That's why I moved.

Comparing Thailand To Cambodia is like Oranges to apples.

Got that right.

But opinions are like a-holes everybody's got one! And welcome to it ...Live & let Live

Beardog

If you say so Begbie Nothing personal but life is what you carry inside of you.It is not the place your at but who you are that dictates the way you percieveit Most of the other participants in this post seem to think they are getting a fair shake in Thailand & yea they seen me coming along with every one getting worked for the 200 baht sodas or beers Not to mention the friendly gal at the Koh Kong border offering 18 baht to a dollar to buy back riel or baht. But I will say for the cambodians they sure are not afraid of working. Cheers

CAMBODIANS are more friendly than Thais????? Whoa were have you been staying at?? Last time I was there for several months I couldn't wait to get back to LoS. Cambo is nice if you like feeling big over a bunch of generally solemn, grim, somber people who have had the spirit beat out of them and their elite class murdered off. However if you want Sabai Sabai and Sanook!, plenty of smiles and a good bit more prosperity and infrastructure, LOS is were it's at!

And what is all this about some anti-farang sentiment??? really you guys getting paranoid or what??? 6 years in LoS and I never ever felt this.

Never ever felt even slightly unwelcome in Thailand as a foreigner? Surely impossible.

It makes me wonder if the people that say such ridiculous things have some agenda they are pushing.

Tud,i think your agenda is very much against Thailand . : :o

I must have some bad luck. While I do not live in Thailand I do manage to vacation there for @ a month every year or every other year. I have run into several hostile thai's during my trips. Maybe it my fault for not letting them rip me off.

But I have to say it has only been in Patong. The rest of Thailand i have not had a problem.

I don't know maybe i give off a bad vibe but the last time I went to Phuket I had a crazed tuk tuk driver call me a

Fukin Farang for wanting to walk instead of using his services. I also had the Thai man that rents the motorcycles throw a water bottle at me because i would not pay for an extra day rent because he was not at the place to turn the bike in on time and said I had the bike an extra 1/2 hour.

My wife and I were also followed by 6 thai men that watched us cash our travelers checks. They were definatly going to try and rob us as they followed us everywhere waiting for the right opportunity. Evry time we ducked into a store and came back out they were waiting. They knew we were on to them but they did not care. They were just waiting for a place without to many witness. We jumped into the first taxi we saw and went back to the hotel.

I am quite certain if we would have walked back past them to the hotel they would have tried something.

I know this could happen any where inthe world, but it happen in phuket.

It has not darken my love for Thailand, I still vacation there. Although I don't think I will ever go back to Patong.

PKG

To the OP:

Pattaya is not Thailand. It should be its own country.

:o

Congratulations to myself on my 365th post. That's means I average more than one post a day since I've joined less than a year ago.

Yee-ha!

BEGBIE:

You answered your own question, as it has been said many a times in previous Topics and certainly in my responses : Pattaya is the fun sex City of Thailand it certainly is not the true Thai culture, and unfortunately Farangs have made it the place it is, its a haven for drugs and crime and that comment is not just directed at the Thais either.

I am sure many posters will agree with my comments : My comments are not meant to Downgrade Pattaya, but to assess Thailand from a visit Pattaya I think would be wrong. in the 3 years I have been in Thailand the only place where I fealt you needed to keep a sharp eye in certains areas was Pattaya.

Whenever I see sombody hustling sombody I snap a frame, if I can....going to need a new hard drive soon. :D

I think this lady works for the TAT. not sure

post-21079-1180528563_thumb.jpg

...and, no, we don't have people like that back home.

"I have to disagree as do most others who have been to Cambo. The Thai girls are getting fat and greedy." .................I have to agree with this, take a drive around pattaya, you will see many women with bellies, too much farang food maybe ? , whats funnier is the picture of this lady, ,says reduced 64 per cent, she must be huge ! :o

CAMBODIANS are more friendly than Thais????? Whoa were have you been staying at?? Last time I was there for several months I couldn't wait to get back to LoS. Cambo is nice if you like feeling big over a bunch of generally solemn, grim, somber people who have had the spirit beat out of them and their elite class murdered off. However if you want Sabai Sabai and Sanook!, plenty of smiles and a good bit more prosperity and infrastructure, LOS is were it's at!

And what is all this about some anti-farang sentiment??? really you guys getting paranoid or what??? 6 years in LoS and I never ever felt this.

JR Texas to Nebukanezar: Where did you get your impression of Cambodians? How long did you live there?

About four years ago I lived in Siem Riep (not too bad), PP (not too bad along the waterfront but too much poverty) and Sihanoukville (not too bad).

I found the majority of the people to be very nice, smart and less jaded than the majority of Thais. Along the Cambodian-Thai border I found the "solemn, grim, , somber" people you talked about.

Yes, in terms of prosperity and infrastructure, parts of Thailand are much better than Cambodia. But a lot of rural Thailand looks like Cambodia and people live the same way......same rice culture and hand-to-mouth existence.

Cambodia was pleasant change to Thailand.........especially Sihanoukville. But I did start to get bored and missed little things like Starbucks and Malls, etc.

It was not the people that troubled me (lots of beautiful and smart girls), it was the lack of infrastructure, poverty and boredom.