“fahrenheit 9/11”

thohts

Okay, we all know that this forum is full of different political views, but can someone just confirm or deny as to whether a copy of the movie is available in Thailand? When I talked to the bootleg people, they looked at me like I was an idiot for asking for a movie that had just come out in the US the same day....

It was very difficult to even find it on "bootleg" download sites. I think Moore didn't want any leak before the official release, so that his "conservative" friends don't burn theaters when it was showed.

The movie was the best selling box office ever in NY in a single day. Everything was sold out within a few hours and they have theaters with 24 hours run over the week-end and they were fully booked until Sunday.

A lot of positive reactions, and people angry at Bush when they get out of the theater. Even those who supported the war and were initially pro-Bush.

Moore show them in a mirror what the US has become: a Banana Republic for the oil cartels.

Yes I think Moore and his crew kept a tight lid on it (and rightly so). maybe I'll try calling Major to see if they're going to show it. Somehow I doubt they have ever even heard of it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The unofficial one is out, saw it on a sidewalk ... but geez, that guy Moore is a complete wacko nut-case.

I went to my usual Sukhumvit DVD sellers (who were in crackdown mode) and they never heard of the film.

Then went over to Patpong but various stalls told me that it wasn't out yet.

Where did you see it???

Oh Bitterfly,

Your seeting anger and hatred of America is evident.

Give me a fax#, and I will gladly send you my voter registration. I am a libertarian (www.lp.org). I am a social liberal/fiscal conservative, that doesn't believe in government controlling the minutia of my life. In Nov I will vote libertarian.

Truth is it's a wasted vote, as CA goes to Kerry in any case. Another point the idiot Gore missed, and all those (including yourself) who believes he should be president.

You, and your fat a** buddy Moore can go on hating me and my country, continue being disingenious, and preaching lies and falsehoods. It's people like you, and events like 9/11 and the recent beheadings, which make me love my country more.

I will not see his trashy movie, or respond to any more of your posts.

Neither are worth my time, as neither are intellectualy honest.

Boy oh boy, first I thought I am down in the Bear-Pit.

Than I realized we are talking about if this Fahrenheit 9/11 thing should be distributed in Thailand.

Following all these pro- and con advertisements in this thread, I get the feeling you all want every Farang in LOS to get a copy.

Why not, Thailand is the land of the free, if not a free country. So I do not think there is a Mickey Mouse corporation here to stop it, if there is a real demand.

Axel,

I am sure Thailand would allow such a scathing review, and many baseless lies, to be said about it's government, allow it to show in it's theatres, allow it to be number one this weekend in terms of revenue. Yes, Thailand is the land of the free. America is not, we are a bunch of idiots, etc. Heard it all before. Go have a drink.

Disney is a corporation, and makes what ever decisions it wants, for what ever reason it wants. You see it as censorship, sure it doesn't have anything to do with the types of movies they put out, and not wanting to piss off 70% of the American public.

Please, a little honesty.

I am sure all of the farang, certainly you and Bitterfly, who hate America, think Bush is Hitler, America is the most dangerous county in the world, yada yada yada, will buy it. You should have a good laugh at our expense.

I agree, keep the bear pit out of Thai visa, but I didn't bring it in, and I'm not tired enough of it yet to leave the site again. Keep it up, and you can have your bully pulpit back.

The Official DVD will be released in September.

Here's a quote from Davis DVD website:

"With Michael Moore's buzzworthy Fahrenheit 9/11 documentary finally hitting over 900 screens this weekend, talk is now shifting to the inevitable DVD release. Currently, the film is still without a proper home video distributor, although Lions Gate, which is sharing theatrical distribution with IFC Films, is rumored to be the logical choice. By Moore's mandate, however, the DVD must be released in September. "We want to get it out before the (presidential) election," said Michael Moore during a recent press stop for the film. "We hope the film and DVD will have a significant role in removing Bush from office." Moore's production company, Dog Eat Dog Films, has already produced many of the bonus features. The DVD is said to include additional footage and updates not in the current theatrical edit, a commentary track, man-in-the-street interviews conducted in 30 countries and more to be announced."

Storm Troopers At the Doors of Fahrenheit 9/11

Rob Kall | June 26 2004

The handcuffs hanging from the burly hired

security guard were clearly,

intentionally evident. He was checking

younger-looking ticket

purchasers for age, to protect them from the

R-rating of the movie. But

he looked big and nasty. I was bringing my 14

year old son, and since

he accompanied me, there was no problem.

The movie was incredible, besides weaving

together a strong case

against George Bush and his administration, it

was a riveting piece of

entertainment. The 24 theater megaplex had

devoted its largest room to

the movie and it looked like the previous showing

and the one we went

to see were both sold out.

I'd gone, wearing a blue shirt, like Moveon.org

had suggested. I'd

printed out flyers with a message from Michael

Moore, that I'd

downloaded as a PDF file from moveon.org-- ten of

them. I started

passing them out before I went out the main

doors. The flyers just

about flew out of my hands and I was disappointed

I didn't have more.

People wanted them. They wanted to DO SOMETHING.

As soon as I was finished handing them out, I

just kept walking, and

went through the main exit doors for the

particular theater the movie

was shown, which put me in the front area within

the movie megaplex.

This time there were three big, bouncer-type

security guards rushing

past me, towards the exit doors. "There are

people in there handing out

flyers," one of them said urgently, as they

rushed to go through the

doors to catch .... me. They'd seen people

walking out with the flyers

I'd handed out.

They were hot for action. Fortunately for me,

I'd handed out all the

flyers I'd brought. I'd only printed out a small

number because I knew

my teen-ager might not be thrilled with his

activist father. It was a

good thing. Getting grabbed or even arrested

would not have been a good

thing. Civil disobedience that's intentional is

one thing, but getting

hassled for handing out flyers-- I'm not ready

for that yet, even

though it REALLY felt like we were in a police

state.

After all, I'm a regular at that movie, and

I've never seen special

security guards carding people, never seen three

guards AFTER the

movie. Germany in the 1030s seem to be inching

closer and closer. I

spoke to my daughter, in upstate PA, and she had

to drive over an hour,

more than 60 miles, to get to a theater playing

the movie. She said

they were militantly carding there too. And even

there, in Santorum

country, the largest theater in the local

megaplex was almost sold

out... for the Friday noon showing... and the

rest of the shows that

day were already sold out by the time they were

leaving.

This movie IS going to make a difference. It's

going to bring people

together and it is flushing out the sold out faux

journalist and news

networks that have been attacking the movie using

all the talking

points the Republican attack artists have

conjured up, repeatedly

reciting the attacks on Michael Moore's

character, downplaying the

accuracy of the film.

After the movie my son and I were talking about

what would cause the

censors to give Fahrneheit 9/11 an R rating. I

said, "The most obscene

thing in the movie is the topic of the movie--

George W. Bush and what

he's done."

We do not condone supporting illegal businesses -- such as those that produce bootleg CD's -- here. See it in the theater or wait until the legal DVD is released.

who is we? I condone it, otherwise you wait two years for the legal DVD's to make it into the shops.

My DVD man has told me that it is available here in two weeks :o

There is no law that says a theatre must abide by the R rating and not allow minors without an adult. Theatres are only asked to do it on a voluntary basis.

Some theatres in the US are letting all ages in to see it and disregarding the R

rating.

Axel,

I am sure Thailand would allow such a scathing review, and many baseless lies, to be said about it's government, allow it to show in it's theatres, allow it to be number one this weekend in terms of revenue. Yes, Thailand is the land of the free. America is not, we are a bunch of idiots, etc. Heard it all before. Go have a drink.

Disney is a corporation, and makes what ever decisions it wants, for what ever reason it wants. You see it as censorship, sure it doesn't have anything to do with the types of movies they put out, and not wanting to piss off 70% of the American public.

Please, a little honesty.

I am sure all of the farang, certainly you and Bitterfly, who hate America, think Bush is Hitler, America is the most dangerous county in the world, yada yada yada, will buy it. You should have a good laugh at our expense.

I agree, keep the bear pit out of Thai visa, but I didn't bring it in, and I'm not tired enough of it yet to leave the site again. Keep it up, and you can have your bully pulpit back.

SoCal, what caused this tirade?

I did not see the Fahrenheit - thing, yet, so I have no idea whether it contains "baseless lies" or not.

Fact is, it was extremely successful in Cannes which is sufficient for me to think about. If you think the

movie "pisses off 70% of the American public", possible, I have no way to check your figure. Neither do I wish to

judge the Disney corporation and their reasons, actual or published.

Still, controversial or not, IMHO the people in Thailand should be able to make their own judgement, I do not see what this has to do with America-hating or loving.

Frankly speaking, I do not even care about Mr. Bush, as long as he does his job within his country-borders, that's what he was appointed for. Thanks for your offer for a drink, sorry, it is a bit too early over here in LOS.

Anyway, it appears that Mr. Moore has an opinion perhaps different from yours. So be it. But let me and maybe others in Thailand make up their own mind.

And keep US-politics down in the bear-pit, where they belong to.

(Not yet) Cheers

We do not condone supporting illegal businesses -- such as those that produce bootleg CD's -- here.  See it in the theater or wait until the legal DVD is released.

who is we? I condone it, otherwise you wait two years for the legal DVD's to make it into the shops.

I THOUGHT it was the policy of this board not to allow the discussion of, or promotion of, illegal activities. At least, that is what I was made to believe I did wrong a couple months ago to have my account suspended. Or, perhaps, it is only discussion of illegal activities that offend the moderators that get censored.

We do not condone supporting illegal businesses -- such as those that produce bootleg CD's -- here.  See it in the theater or wait until the legal DVD is released.

I THOUGHT it was the policy of this board not to allow the discussion of, or promotion of, illegal activities. At least, that is what I was made to believe I did wrong a couple months ago to have my account suspended. Or, perhaps, it is only discussion of illegal activities that offend the moderators that get censored.

For what its worth I think Michael Moore would rather us see a bootleg copy than not see it at all...

You, and your fat a** buddy Moore can go on hating me and my country, continue being disingenious, and preaching lies and falsehoods. It's people like you, and events like 9/11 and the recent beheadings, which make me love my country more.

I will not see his trashy movie, or respond to any more of your posts.

Neither are worth my time, as neither are intellectualy honest.

Let's cute to the chase, you are just a coward. I can spot one when I hear one.

You speak a lot about patriotism, but I don't see you on the front lines in Iraq. Another Armchair hero (if you know what that means). I hope you get called.

SoCal, you still don't get it do you. NOBODY is bashing America. It is BUSH and his henchmen and oil support who is being bashed, not America.

SoCal is having a little trouble to add 2 and 2 together. He loves the lies he lives in. After all he has the right to choose such lies :o

WMD == not a lie

Bush a <deleted> == is a lie

White is Black

War is Peace

in SoCal world :D

First of all, few things in the world are totally fair and consistent. (If that was the case then England would still be in Euro 2004 for starters. :D )

I don't think Thaivisa has ever totally banned any mentioning or implication of things that are essentially against the law. If that was the case then we'd never have all the discussions on prositution that we all love to have. :o Or a poll on drunk driving that I started myself. Or indeed discussing all the things available at Panthip.

For me I make the following distinction, other mods may not necessarily make the same ones: If anyone writes "Hey I've got 50 good quality copies of Fahrenheit 9/11, wanna buy one at 500 baht then please PM me" then this post will get deleted real fast.

However, merely discussing things that while against the law are still common things in Thailand I think is okay. On this particular topic, this discussion has a bigger chance of getting closed because the pro/anti Michael Moore & pro/anti America thing is more a bearpit.com issue than that it has anything to do with Thailand.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Mr. Butterfly:

Just curious.....care to share with us where you are located?

Why ? are you the FBI or NSA ??? :o

None of your business and irrelevant to this discussion. Unless you are another NeoCon bot looking for a strawman as a way to argue.

Who are you ? give me your full address, name and location before you can answer me :D

Mr. Butterfly:

My, aren't we agressive!

You call someone a coward because they are not on the front lines in Iraq so I presumed you must be there. If not, what gives you the right to call anybody else a coward?

I am running a defense contract in Saudi Arabia and my question still stands.

Has anyone seen this movie on the streets or know which vendor is going to have it?

Well the original question is here, and let's hope to find a copy in Thailand.

Actually, up to now, I did not care that much but 4 pages in Thai Visa, wetted my

appetite, so to speak. Thanks for the recommendation. :o

Did a quick search and understand the Golden Palm was awarded by a jury of nine, including

four Americans,

one French,

one British,

a Belgian,

a Finn,

and one juror from Hong Kong. Make that 4 Americans, 4 European and 1 Asian.

Makes it more plausible to watch it.

OK, I understand your concerns and you are right in what you say.

I think Chanchao answered it well, will leave it at that.

:D

Rumours are that somebody may be downloading the film right now and should have it by tomorrow morning. Latest rumour was the the rumoured individual was at 26% completed DL.

Rumours suggest it is only a camcorder copy and so will be pretty crappy, but just as long as the sound is ok it should be ok.

Mr. Chittie:

You can forget CNN but, yes, it is rather tense around here. Not a lot of fun now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Axel:

I would be curious to know who the four Americans are. If they are part of the hard core Hollywood crowd, then their votes would have as much weight with me as the French vote. I know that voice of conversatism, Quentin Tarantino, headed the panel.

I haven't seen the movie and probably won't waste my time doing so. I stopped watching political propaganda long ago.

Mr. Axel:

I would be curious to know who the four Americans are.  If they are part of the hard core Hollywood crowd, then their votes would have as much weight with me as the French vote.  I know that voice of conversatism, Quentin Tarantino, headed the panel.

I haven't seen the movie and probably won't waste my time doing so.  I stopped watching political propaganda long ago.

Sure Mr. chuckd. Picked it up from New York Times, the link is below.

Mr. Tarantino,

Kathleen Turner,

the director Jerry Schatzberg,

and the Haitian-born novelist Edwidge Danticat.

the actress Emanuelle Béart, a French citizen.

the British actress Tilda Swinton

Benoit Poelvoode, a Belgian actor;

Peter von Bagh, a Finnish critic;

and the Hong Kong director Tsui Hark.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/22/movies/2...10821cc&ei=5070

Even if you hate Michel Moore with all your heart, this movie just became the highest grossing documentary of all time IN THE FIRST WEEKEND (nytimes.com). Why not see it if only find out what all the fuss is about?

And even if you don't believe anything that he says, why not watch it for the out takes of Bush and his friends to see how they act behind the scenes?

Mr. Butterfly:

My, aren't we agressive!

You call someone a coward because they are not on the front lines in Iraq so I presumed you must be there.  If not, what gives you the right to call anybody else a coward?

I am running a defense contract in Saudi Arabia and my question still stands.

Your question was passive aggressive and predictible. I replied accordingly.

I am having difficulties following your logic ??? do you have to be on the front lines to call someone a coward ? are you sharing the same binary logic as SoCal ?

SoCal made bold claims that the Iraq war was justified and he was a true patriot. If he is, I am calling him on it to go to the front lines, like a true partiot would do, otherwise he is blowing air through his a..s. I never made those claims and I am opposed to all kind of wars when they are not justified. I am sure for some, it makes me a pinko commie bastard hippie, but I can't stand the hypocrisis of the "conservatives" who claim all kind of patriotic BS but would be the first to dogde the draft as soon as it becomes reality. Like their beloved leader, GW Bush, the draft dodger. Gotta love those armchair heroes :o

And they impeached Clinton for a stupid blow job. Bush and his friends should be impeached for treason.

So, how does it feel to work for the "dark side" ??? you must make a ton of money.