Where to check vision for eyeglasses

steveb5

I am a skinflint, but I also only have two eyes and consider them the most important part of my anatomy. Okay, maybe a tie for first place....

Forget the optical shops here for exams. The girls in those shops are cute and can fill scripts and give a basic exam, but they do not even rise to the level of optometrist. Far from it. 

Go with an ophthalmologist, especially if you are older and it has been some time since you have had a full-blown exam (if ever). He/she can advise you if anything serious is amiss that you want to catch early.

This is LOS; an ophthalmologist here is cheaper than an optometrist in the States.

First you need to get a prescription from an optometrist but I don't think you need to go to a hospital for that.

When I priced out buying prescription glasses I found that I could get them cheaper online than I could in Thailand prescription eyeglass stores. I would imagine you can buy them online in Thailand as well.  I used eyebuydirect.com and highly recommend them.  Quite a bit cheaper than buying in retail stores in Thailand and the US.

I found that prescription reading glasses are quite a bit clearer than the off the shelf reading glasses for me.  That may be because my prescription requires one eye to have a bit more correction than the other so it may vary from person to person.

I would recommend buying at least one pair of prescription reading glasses and then compare them to off the shelf reading glasses to see it they are worth it for you.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

For eyeglasses for reading, just go to the mall. They have several places w/glasses and try them on - they are numbered 1.25 then 1.50 etc and they will give you something to read and choose the glasses which make the print clear...

and yes, about 100 baht - I think Big C has the same.. if it is just the typical near-sightedness and your arm is no longer long enough... but everything else is fine. 

An unhelpful/abusive post has been removed along with replies to it

OP: For just reading glasses, if no other problem then glasses shop or even self-testing by trying on different pairs is fine. Glasses shops tend to be very expensive here and the staff have little training, you will do just as well on your own IMO.

However if you have not had a thorough eye exam in the past few years, and especially if these problems are new, it would be worth getting one done and can get a prescription at the same time. For that you need an opthalmologist. If you are in Bangkok, Rutnin Hospital is good choice.

For eye candy go to the Charoen chain of opticians but for a comprehensive check and prescription definitely the eye dept at major hospitals in your area.

With good advice and prescription in hand you can then compare prices across the spectrum from village markets to swanky shops in malls to online suppliers.

I’ve been going to Rutnin for years, check ups-cataract stuff-prescriptions. I went to a Pattaya hospital’s ophthalmology Dept and got a prescription - it was a bizarre experience. I showed their scrip to Dr. Roy at Rutnin. He was relieved I hadn’t got glasses with it and had a hard time not laughing.

On my experience I won’t have glasses made in Thailand again. I did it 2 times, first time at a top charoen pattaya tai, with an ophthalmologist prescription. As far as I remember glasses were cheap, about 3000 B. In the end glasses were uncomfortable to see with, I went to the shop to tell her and she told me everything was fine, I just had to get used to them. Next time I went to France I had new glasses made. 
I tried a second time in the shop in front of the doughnut shop big c pattaya tai ground floor. I thought, maybe it was top charoen and I could have nice fashionable glasses for again 3000 B. I had a doctors prescription. The same thing happened, no problem with the frame, but the lenses were uncomfortable to wear.

I think they have low quality lens production.