Old Friend Died leaving his Long Term Partner, who is from the Philippines basically destitute.

PFMills

A friend who lived in our village, he was quite old, died about three weeks ago. He had lived with his partner who is from the Philippines for at least twenty five years and that have a twenty odd years old daughter who is living in the Philippines. He never divorced his Danish wife.

It appears that he has left her basically destitute with little to no chance of getting any help from the guy’s family. She just has the furniture in the rented house which we are all trying to help her sell. Her landlord says that she has to clear the house.

Luckily she does have a few Philippine friends. Also her embassy might give some assistance in getting her back home.  Her Retirement Visa runs out mid November.

So I am wondering if, like there is in the UK, a house clearance company that could help clear the house and get her a little money. I wonder if a Go Fund Me for her flight might be possible, but don’t know how to set one up … guess Google is your friend. Also maybe I could try Baht and Sold.

Anyone got any other helpful advice  tks

14 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Seems confusing, is this village in Thailand or the UK?

15 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Seems confusing, is this village in Thailand or the UK?

We live in Bangtalad, Pakkret, basically 2-3kms from Bangkok Immigration. Also has a lot of her daughters good quality clothing as daughter went to the Philippines to visit and got stuck there.

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

OP is a bit muddled and not clear at all  as to who and where this all relates.

I guess too much information,  so in very simple terms.

Her long time (Danish) partner, who even after all those years never divorced, died and left her very little money.

By the time she had paid outstanding bills etc, whatever money she could access here in Thailand has basically gone.

She cannot claim any money that he had saved in Denmark, and his family won’t help.

She has to empty their rented house and then fly back to the Philippines and start her life again.

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

1) Your friend while being quite old should have sorted this out long ago.

2) Your friend, so you must know her quite well, why don't you help her out instead of asking strangers to do it with "GOFUND ME"

1 ... Yes

2 ... Have already helped her out with his funeral expenses. Her friends and I will be clubbing together but wondered if there are options to help and assistance to empty what accumulates in a house after twenty odd years.  

Edited by PFMills

48 minutes ago, PFMills said:

1 ... Yes

2 ... Have already helped her out with his funeral expenses. Her friends and I will be clubbing together but wondered if there are options to help and assistance to empty what accumulates in a house after twenty odd years.  

You could try selling the bigger items on Facebook . Normally , pawn shops will take electrical goods but since these are hard times they might already have their hands full. Take pictures of whats for sale, mount them on A4 paper and put outside house or local mom and pop store. Sell online on kaidee website.

Personal items she could look into shipping home but would need to check the cost first.

Also needs to look into flight costs and covid requirements. In her predicament overstay should be avoided at all costs.

Very………

My wife or myself go and see her every day and she is getting on with clearing the house, amazing how much ‘tat’ they had. You can tell though that she is very sad, not surprising.

She does have a Filipino friend who has residency here so that is a great help as like me she doesn’t speak Thai.

As someone suggested why don’t I just ‘fund’ her back to the Philippines, it might come to that. I do belong to a car group that raise money, usually for orphanages, and am a bit hopeful that they may help a little.  

I think now we have done this topic to death so if no more plausible suggestions appear shortly I’ll ask a mod to close.   tks

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you miss the bit where he had basically no savings? Perhaps he gave her a better life for 20 years than she would have had otherwise.

No savings. Exactly!

He could have tried to take her to his own country, at least she would have been looked after in her old age.