Uk Passport For Child Born Out Of Marriage

This appears on the UK Embassy website

* Child’s official birth certificate, issued by the Thai District Office. We will follow the names as they appear on the local document.

* Documentary evidence of father and/or mother’s nationality status: UK full version birth certificate*, naturalisation or registration certificate

* Parents’ marriage certificate

Effective on 1 July 2006, it is no longer a requirement for the parents of the child to be legally married

* Evidence that any previous marriages of the parents have been dissolved ie divorce or death certificate as appropriate

* Both parents’ passports

* Child’s Thai passport (if applicable)

* Registration of birth application form to be completed.

My daughter was born in December last year making it posssible (according to the above) for me to organise a UK passport for her even though I am not married to my partner who is a Lao citizen.

However I am still not divorced in the UK. I am unsure from reading the above if I will need to be able to produce " Evidence that any previous marriages of the parents have been dissolved ie divorce or death certificate as appropriate "

It seems to say that you can organise the passport even inf you are not married but that you must be divorced before doing so from your previous partner. Is this correct or am I misreading it?

You solely have to demonstrate that you are British "otherwise than by descent" and that you are the child's father. The easiest way for that to be done is to be named on the Thai birth certificate. For births on or after 1 July 2006 your marital status is irrelevant.

Scouse.

Hi Scouse

Thanks for that, that was what I thought having read your pinned post. The being "bristish" part is no problem, same for the birth cert but I was worried by the

* Evidence that any previous marriages of the parents have been dissolved ie divorce or death certificate as appropriate

sentence in the posting above.

One other query as well actually. The photo for the passport application needs to be signed by someone (as outlined below)

However the problem I have is that is says that it cannot be a member of your family and I don't happen to know any JP's over here :o

Does this mean I need to get the photo's signed by someone back in the UK or is there a way round it?

When you have completed the form, someone who has

known You (not the child) personally for at least two years

should complete and sign Section 8. That person should be

a British citizen, other British national or Commonwealth

citizen who is a Member of Parliament, Justice of the Peace,

Minister of Religion, Bank Officer, Established Civil Servant,

or professionally qualified person, e.g. Lawyer, Engineer,

Doctor, School Teacher, Police Officer or a person of

similar standing. Procedures include a check on the

authenticity of countersignatories.

If you do not know a British national or other Commonwealth

citizen locally with those qualifications, a citizen of the

country in which you are residing may complete and sign

the form, provided he/she has a similar standing in that

country has known you for two years and the Consul

considers his/her signature to be acceptable. A member

of your family should not countersign. (See also Note 7,

‘Photographs’). In certain cases you may be asked

to produce further documentary evidence of identity for

the child.

However the problem I have is that is says that it cannot be a member of your family and I don't happen to know any JP's over here :o

Does this mean I need to get the photo's signed by someone back in the UK or is there a way round it?

The signatory must be a British passport holder and they must even put their passport number on the form (presumably so they can check the authenticity of the signature from their records.) They even phoned up my wifes signatory to check that he was who he said he was and that he actually did know her. I'm not sure if they check the status of the signatory though.

So it looks as though if you dont have a British subject who has known you for 2 years in Thailand you may just have to get a friend from overseas who does. If you do have a British mate I would be inclined not to worry too much about his profession

... British "otherwise than by descent" ... For births on or after 1 July 2006 your marital status is irrelevant.

Scouse.

Could you explain please what 'British "otherwise than by descent"' means?

(Also, the second part of your reply seems to directly contradict the relevant bit quoted by the OP from the embassy website, but of course you as the solicitor are likely to be right about that.)

Dont be afraid to phone them up and ask if you have any doubt .

I had the same issues , Its going back a couple of years now so cant remember all the details. But they were very helpful and talked me through everything I needed to do. I did it and had no problems gettiong citenzenship for my son.

Be advised its a whole lot easier if its all done within the 1st year of the babies birth.

The signatory must be a British passport holder and they must even put their passport number on the form (presumably so they can check the authenticity of the signature from their records.) They even phoned up my wifes signatory to check that he was who he said he was and that he actually did know her. I'm not sure if they check the status of the signatory though.

So it looks as though if you dont have a British subject who has known you for 2 years in Thailand you may just have to get a friend from overseas who does. If you do have a British mate I would be inclined not to worry too much about his profession

considers his/her signature to be acceptable.

I didn't use a British passport holder to sign my daughter's photo. A Thai colleague's signature was acceptable - I think any professional person is OK.

considers his/her signature to be acceptable.

I didn't use a British passport holder to sign my daughter's photo. A Thai colleague's signature was acceptable - I think any professional person is OK.

I had forgotten about this requirement. So I did not have anyone with me to countersign. I asked someone else waiting behind me if they would mind signing, which they agreed too and this was done in full view of the Embassy official and the rest of the people waiting. It caused a few smiles but the embassy official was quite happy with the arrangement. So from my experience I do not think they are that bothered.

See the pinned topic at the head of this sub-forum:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1124746

Scouse.

Thanks for referring me to this pinned thread, which answers my first question; however that earlier thread of yours itself speciifes the requirement that the father be unmarried. What then is the definitive position in regard to a father not formally divorced from his british wife?

What then is the definitive position in regard to a father not formally divorced from his british wife?

The father's marital status is irrelevant to the nationality issue. If he is British otherwise than by descent and can demonstrate that he is the child's father, the child will acquire British citizenship automatically.

Scouse.