Thai Commerce Ministry Sets up Hotline for Complaints about High Prices for Necessities

snoop1130

21f11ee05b8589a463e29cfefdc1b0fe_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Thai Commerce Ministry’s Department of Internal Trade (DIT) has set up a special 1569 nationwide hotline for people to file complaints if they are charged unusually high prices for necessities.

Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said they want to ease people’s burden, especially those already suffering from floods and has instructed all provincial commerce offices to monitor prices closely and take action if shopkeepers are caught making excessive profits.

He warned that shopkeepers can face 7 years in prison and/or a fine of 140,000 baht if they take undue advantage of consumers, especially in areas hit by natural disasters.

Mr. Jurin said, apart from making necessities available at affordable prices, the Commerce Ministry will also ensure that people have access to other necessary products, like tools, cleaning and building equipment to repair their homes once the floods recede.

nnt.jpg

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Mr. Jurin said, apart from making necessities available at affordable prices, the Commerce Ministry will also ensure that people have access to other necessary products, like tools, cleaning and building equipment to repair their homes once the floods recede.

Un-like civilised countries where your home is covered by insurance and reputable builders do the repairs.

Typical Thailand you dig yourself out of the brown stuff.

• Like 2

Being in business myself for over 40 years I consider it my mission in life to extract as much as possible for services rendered.  It's called Enterprise Capitalism.

Caveat Emptor should be adequate consumer protection in all cases, and if a fool is soon parted from their money, well such is life.

• Like 1

They can start with the exorbitantly high import duties and taxes on foreign goods.  Sure they want to protect local suppliers and manufacturing, but why does China enjoy bilateral trade relations with Thailand, while western products remain out of reach?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

They can start with the exorbitantly high import duties and taxes on foreign goods.  Sure they want to protect local suppliers and manufacturing, but why does China enjoy bilateral trade relations with Thailand, while western products remain out of reach?

You can buy western products from China.... Sometimes at the very same price as you would in the West. 

Example, last year I even bought my own iPhone 12 Pro from China (before it had even been released in Thailand) and imported it without paying any duties... Not only was it a bit cheaper than in Thailand, the version of the iPhone sold by Apple in China has physical Dual-SIM.... 

Just check Taobao, any western product you may like, you'll find it there. Most of the Taobao sellers would ship to Thailand; and if they don't you can use some Thai/Chinese freight forwarder which will provide an address in China (Guangzhou) for you to send the goods from Taobao to, and then they will bring them into Thailand.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

When I was in LOS last & the UK  Aussie products were a quarter of what we are paying, I'm in lock down but will be going back to  to work when NSW  open's  up and have been told a price rise $6.50 scorner. and $7.00  stubbie  cant wait to get back.